2016 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

westab

Re: 2016 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby westab » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:58 pm

Got a curly question for you Jason (and any others) - I have a 15 y.o. daughter who is mad keen to get her drivers licence (for once for a good motive as both Mrs Westab and myself hate driving: she wishes to relieve this burden). As she can't get her "L" plates till she is 16 she is starting now to learn the rules, and anything else that will help her get her drivers licence.

This includes understanding how tyres grip in different conditions - how better than on her bike; which is what she is doing.

Sorry for the long post but as I ride with her to achieve her goal - can these kms be included as commuting kms or not? (Please note I am happy either way)

Please let me know? thanks.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:28 pm

westab wrote:Please let me know? thanks.

I can't envisage the amount of kms being significant. But if say yes and then you extend the commute yourself it becomes an issue for those competing around you

I tell you what, unlike most bicycle advocacy organisation in Australia who thinks that everyone needs to be riding on shared paths around the park, I think people need to be riding on the road occasionally. So I'm going to say yes.

Keep an eye on how many kms it is.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:01 pm

As one of those beaten by westab last year, it doesn't bother me in the slightest - we are only doing this for fun after all

westab

Postby westab » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:26 pm

Thanks Jason & Bruce - and you are right it's only for fun. Most likely will only be 200-300 kms.
Its funny when I was on leave and we would go for a ride you don't often hear a girl cheer when it starts raining; or see them brake test on gravel on the side of the road.

She also let her tyres down near home one day to find out if the effect of lower tyre pressure was reduced road holding and efficiency like the information she found had.

She wants to look soon at the log book she will need to keep to see if riding time on her bike can be included in her hours in control of a "vehicle".

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:11 pm

I also have a question Jason.. so this morning I cycled into work and then remembered i dont have a job so had to cycle home... can I count that??
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:30 pm

cancan64 wrote:I also have a question Jason.. so this morning I cycled into work and then remembered i dont have a job so had to cycle home... can I count that??

no cancan. you've been unemployed for a number of months. your 100kms is a recreational ride.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:17 pm

westab wrote:
Mugglechops wrote:I had to go to work for an hour or so today so I am off the mark.

All my rides start and finish from home because I do not reset my garmin for the ride home. I can't upload at work so just leave it as one ride.

Mate 43km round trip to work - 215 km per week if you ride 5 days - wow; you are a machine.

Glad I can say I'm in from of you but that won't last long with those kms.

Ride safe and enjoy the challenge Mugglechops

That's the plan now I am back to 1 car again and not injured.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:21 am

jasonc wrote:
cancan64 wrote:I also have a question Jason.. so this morning I cycled into work and then remembered i dont have a job so had to cycle home... can I count that??

no cancan. you've been unemployed for a number of months. your 100kms is a recreational ride.

:lol:

I'm liking the audacity there......it oughta be rewarded. :lol:

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:24 am

Moreso since that ride was with Jason .... thats ok i am just giving him a head start
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:24 pm

Just going to leave this up for temporary glory, or a sign of what I may have managed if I wasn't leaving for Dubai, today was my last ride in Perth and likely my last commute for some time

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:27 pm

robinho - after today I'm off for a week and a half. so you'll hold onto it til Mick H takes over.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:14 am

That'd be right.....the only bloke behind me doesn't have a job :lol: Good thing I start work sorta on Monday.

Releng

Postby Releng » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:41 am

Graham W will probably get Robinho before I do. I am at the TDU next week so no commutes for me.

Mick

RyanA

Postby RyanA » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:38 pm

I'm trying to make some progress on moving up the board, but then I get a memo at work today saying we're not opening on Monday! This challenge has completely changed my mindset from "Yay! Another day off" to "Damn, less commuting km's".
Friday is supposed to belt down rain (25mm) here in Melbourne, but I want those km's, so I'll push through...

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:54 pm

Ya just gotta ride in the rain I'm afraid Ryan, it's very competitive out there.

I'm in the top 10 now - yay :)

Now, to stay there.

DS

Cannondale Quick Speed 2, Allegro T1

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:14 pm

RyanA wrote:I'm trying to make some progress on moving up the board, but then I get a memo at work today saying we're not opening on Monday! This challenge has completely changed my mindset from "Yay! Another day off" to "Damn, less commuting km's".
Friday is supposed to belt down rain (25mm) here in Melbourne, but I want those km's, so I'll push through...

I took Monday off too, and I only started work yesterday :-)

The heat sapped my motorvation for a 50km commuting day today. Will try again tomorrow.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:49 pm

Managed to sneak up to 5th while everyone is enjoying their break. With a bit of luck I will sneak past Jason & Mick by the end of the week. Better take a snapshot of the board though as next week will see my slow but inevitable slide back down to my rightful position as westab's bunny

RyanA

Postby RyanA » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:39 am

DavidS wrote:Ya just gotta ride in the rain I'm afraid Ryan, it's very competitive out there.

That's the real reason I signed up; I needed the motivation to keep going through the winter.

westab

Postby westab » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:04 am

RyanA wrote:
DavidS wrote:Ya just gotta ride in the rain I'm afraid Ryan, it's very competitive out there.

That's the real reason I signed up; I needed the motivation to keep going through the winter.

Sure is competitive - I was 6th at the beginning of the week I'm now 12th :cry:

Last night riding home in the storms around Sydney was fun but cost me 10 kms - I did beat the rain home (I could tell you my heart rate without touching my wrist as I could feel it beating in my ears)

The wife and kids were waiting under the carport to see me come home - wondering how wet I was going to be - instead #2 kid went inside and got me a cool glass of water and we enjoyed the light show till it got close. It was spectacular. :D

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:30 pm

My temporary visit to the podiumImage

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:44 pm

RyanA wrote:

You do get used to it. When I first started commuting I would take the train if it was threatening rain, then I moved on to only taking the train if it was actually raining. One day, in 2013 or 2014 can't remember, it was bucketing and I was going to take the train until I heard the news and the trains were barely running. So, on the bike. I got very wet but I have mudguards, then I had a bag cover now waterproof panniers. I took a towel and the only thing I should have taken was spare socks. Not only do you get used to riding through winter and bad weather you learn what is needed, now if I get to work drenched I'm ok as I have everything I need to be changed and dry in about 10 minutes.

DS

PS: pity about my sig, STRAVA is playing up and the sig is one ride down :(

Cannondale Quick Speed 2, Allegro T1

AlexHuggs

Postby AlexHuggs » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:10 pm

After an almost entire week of not riding (2 days not practical and today a flat) this isn't looking very good.

RyanA

Postby RyanA » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:14 am

DavidS wrote:
RyanA wrote:

You do get used to it. When I first started commuting I would take the train if it was threatening rain, then I moved on to only taking the train if it was actually raining. One day, in 2013 or 2014 can't remember, it was bucketing and I was going to take the train until I heard the news and the trains were barely running. So, on the bike. I got very wet but I have mudguards, then I had a bag cover now waterproof panniers. I took a towel and the only thing I should have taken was spare socks. Not only do you get used to riding through winter and bad weather you learn what is needed, now if I get to work drenched I'm ok as I have everything I need to be changed and dry in about 10 minutes.

DS

PS: pity about my sig, STRAVA is playing up and the sig is one ride down :(

Yeah, I think I'm now good with all weather!
I have made quite a few changes to my setup over the last few months:
- Waterproof panniers late last year, to replace the hiking daypack I was using for haulage.
- Hydraulic disks
- Mudguards

I actually enjoyed riding home in the rain yesterday. I finally fitted my front mudguard at work yesterday (with the help of some 20mm conduit and a few cable ties), which made a massive difference to the amount of water I copped.
I'm still not satisfied with my jacket though. I have a very good hiking jacket, which I used for the first time on the bike yesterday, however I was expecting it to be more breathable; I still overheated in it. I'm sure it will be fine in the winter, but for summer rain, it's not so good. Then again, for summer rain, I'm good with just getting a wet jersey.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:45 am

Am I down to 4th?
tapatalk for Windows Phone. For when you want it done right

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:54 am

jasonc wrote:Am I down to 4th?
tapatalk for Windows Phone. For when you want it done right

5th actually- next 2 weeks for me are light on though- travelling for work