Lights

rdp_au

Lights

Postby rdp_au » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:28 am

It’s winter, so it must be time for a new lighting thread. Looking for a replacement for a Philips Safelight. It works very well with an excellent beam pattern, but the battery duration is terrible. I want a light with a properly shaped beam to avoid dazzling other road users. Battery power preferred.

Any suggestions?

MattyK

Re: Lights

Postby MattyK » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:24 pm

Busch & Muller Ixon IQ Premium.
However they are the same battery configuration (4xAA), but claim longer run time, so they can only be less bright than a Philips...

Speed version has a remote battery with longer run time:
https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8; ... 11;page=18
I hate cable batteries though.

What run time do you need? I've found with my Saferide that it likes a new set of rechargeables about each year, otherwise it doesn't get the full (~90min) run time.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:24 pm

Of course your other option is to replace the LED driver in the Saferide with a higher current setup, and connect a remote battery lack to it :)

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:44 pm

You could also use a powerbank to supply the USB charge port on the SafeRide. Like running an external battery or dynamo light in effect if using a dynamo to USB charger.

I don't like faffing with cables either and waterproofing is lost, so prefer the compact units.

rdp_au

Postby rdp_au » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:02 pm

I would like about 1.5 hrs max on high. My Saferide has never been close to that even with brand new batteries. Using the inbuilt charger or charging the batteries separately makes no difference - best I get on high is less than an hour. My commute takes around 65-70 minutes, so I have to do the first half where there's good street lighting on low power, and then switch to high power for the poorly illuminated back streets and bike paths for the rest. As I ride a recumbent where the light is out of reach when on the move, this is workable, but inconvenient.

Your idea of an upgrade to use external batteries is a good one that I've also considered. Unfortunately the LED mounting is integrated into the driver circuit board so it's a bit of work to change. Also thought about fitting a remote switch to easily cycle between high and low.

rdp_au

Postby rdp_au » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:54 pm

eldavo wrote:You could also use a powerbank to supply the USB charge port on the SafeRide. Like running an external battery or dynamo light in effect if using a dynamo to USB charger.

I don't like faffing with cables either and waterproofing is lost, so prefer the compact units.
Pretty sure the Saferide won't allow the light to come on when charging. Will check tonight.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:12 pm

Correct, it won't light when external power is connected.

Mod info here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/sho ... ight/page4

rdp_au

Postby rdp_au » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:39 pm

Well, my Saferide must have got wind that I was plotting against it, because last night it refused to charge at all. All the blue charge lights are just flashing off and on together. Not sure what that means, hopefully it's just a duff battery.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:13 pm

I can offer it a good home & a new life if you decide to replace it - I am looking to put my own electronics into one to run as a dynamo light.

While it would be easy enough to wire up a larger capacity battery, IIRC the saferide also has a timer that limits the duration on high - happy to be corrected, it might have just been early models.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:20 pm

Yes the timer cuts full power after a certain limit. Then switched to low until the batteries are dead. If it is failing before that it's a dead cell

nandystam

Postby nandystam » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:08 pm

I'm also looking for a new light. Is anyone using the Fenix BC30? It has removeable batteries (unlike the BC30R) a shaped beam pattern, and decent runtime as it uses 18650 batteries.

I need something that can produce enough light for bike paths where there is no ambient/nearby lighting.

caneye

Postby caneye » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:21 pm

can't comment on the Fenix.

have a look at the Cygolite Expilion range.
i'm using the Expilion 720 and a single light in "medium" mode is bright enough for me, when cycling on pitch dark roads (with no street lights).

- strong beefy case
- has a replaceable battery should you need more than 1.
- can be charged via USB port.
- has a small lip on the top of the light to cut-off the glare for oncoming traffic, though i'm not sure how effective that is.

i picked the 720 up during Pushy's sale.

have a look at the review below ..

http://enduromag.com.au/site/bike-news/ ... -cygolite/

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:49 pm

nandystam wrote:I'm also looking for a new light. Is anyone using the Fenix BC30? It has removeable batteries (unlike the BC30R) a shaped beam pattern, and decent runtime as it uses 18650 batteries.

I need something that can produce enough light for bike paths where there is no ambient/nearby lighting.
The Fenix BC30 does NOT have a shaped beam. What it has is two conical reflectors, one spot and one flood, plus a small clip on visor to try & give it a horizon. You can see the two spots clearly on this pic from Fenix
What you will notice is that the "close in" spot is overexposed. Your eyes however do not work the same as a digital camera, instead your pupil will contract to the level of the "close in" spot & the rest will appear darker. As you raise the angle of the light, the close in spot will move further away, decreasing the effect, but also raising the horizon & the risk of annoying people coming toward you

With an ideal shaped beam, your eyes will perceive the same level of light close in as at a distance. This is much easier said than done. Phillips did a very good job of this with the saferide & I have yet to see any other manufacturer come close

nandystam

Postby nandystam » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:17 pm

caneye wrote:can't comment on the Fenix.

have a look at the Cygolite Expilion range.
I've seen the Cygolite, my concern with that one is that the battery, while removable, is in some kind of proprietary canister. If you can actually replace the battery inside that, that's great. Otherwise you're paying whatever Cygolite feel like charging for a replacement :(
find_bruce wrote:The Fenix BC30 does NOT have a shaped beam. What it has is two conical reflectors, one spot and one flood, plus a small clip on visor to try & give it a horizon. You can see the two spots clearly on this pic from Fenix
Thank you for the clarification.

Gerry.M

Postby Gerry.M » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:35 pm

I have one of these and have been using it for the past year, regularly commuting in the early hours along dark bike paths and roads:
http://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/s12-b ... men/XE-S12

It's very bright on high and lasts around 2hrs on that setting. On the lower 500lm setting I get around twice that.
My main issue is the beam as it has no shroud so can dazzle others, but I usually nudge it down for oncoming cyclists or pedestrians.
For the price though it's a great light.

rdp_au

Postby rdp_au » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:26 pm

find_bruce wrote:I can offer it a good home & a new life if you decide to replace it - I am looking to put my own electronics into one to run as a dynamo light.

While it would be easy enough to wire up a larger capacity battery, IIRC the saferide also has a timer that limits the duration on high - happy to be corrected, it might have just been early models.
Sorry, you can't have it as I'm of a similar mind - I might just pull out all the electrikery and replace with newer stuff. There's a good thread here on how to create a super-light! http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-diy-do-yo ... 00662.html

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:46 pm

Stephen does great work, but times move on. If I was doing it today, I probably wouldn't use an XM-L, but one of the newer smaller led dies, closer in size to the original luxeons used by Philips

savvas

Postby savvas » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:57 pm

To replace a Phillips Saferide battery light I'd suggest that the only real contender is likely to be the Spanninga Axendo USB-rechargeable headlight.

Available from here: https://en.hollandbikeshop.com/bicycle- ... ck-461984/ (I've found hollandbikeshop quite reliable).

Here's some blurb: "The AXENDO 60 USB has 2 high-power REBEL© LEDs and features the unique Reverse Beam Technology©
which projects an impressive 60 Lux light output in a bright – but non-blinding – light beam.
The headlamp is equipped with a an adjustable – easy to mount and quick-release bracket which can be mounted on all types of handlebars. The high-quality aluminium alloy housing accounts for its robust and luxurious appearance.

With its strong and durable lithium Li-Ion USB-rechargeable battery, it features 3 power modes:
boost (60 Lux), normal (30 Lux) and eco (10 Lux). Switching from one power mode to the other is very easy,
with its multifunctional safe-switch – one long pressure to switch on and off, one quick pressure to switch between the modes.
The respective burning hours per power mode are 5h (boost), 9h (normal) and 16h (eco).
Battery almost empty? Not a problem: the handy battery load indicator gives a signal after which you are right on time to charge the battery, with the USB-cable (supplied) within about 4h.

Technical specifications:
Light source: 2 white LEDs > 60 Lux
Power source: Li-Ion rechargeable battery via USB
Autonomy: > 5h (boost) / 9h (steady) / 16h (eco)
Battery Load Indicator: Yes
Functions: Boost / Steady / Eco
Weight: <220g"

I've got the 60LUX e-bike version. It appears very well made and works great!

Sam.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:50 pm

Where I ride at night it is totally dark, I tend to a combination of Lezyne 800XL (not really so good) or Light and Motion Urban 550 (better than the Lezyne) and for those times when the ride will be a long one (3 hours or more) then I use Ay-up lights because those are super dependable. The Ay-Ups are handy with each light being able to be tilted.

If someone is riding towards me, I'll just put my hand over the light to make it less bright.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:02 pm

Exposure make some grouse front lights - pricey - but worth the cost in every way.
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL