Bikes on Trains

fergy1987

Bikes on Trains

Postby fergy1987 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:34 am

Hi everyone,

I am looking at starting to commute to work in the city, however the ride from home is just that little bit too far and a tad inaccessible for my confidence so I was wanting to catch the train half way with the bike and ride the remaining distance to the city (Brisbane)

The mornings I cant see any issues because I will leave early enough to beat the peak hour, however coming home will be right in the middle of peak hour and a bike on a train is surely going to p1ss a lot of people off at that time.

Im hoping to get home at a reasonable hour so don't really want wait until peak hour is finished at night because its still a 30min train ride.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for taking a bike on a train during those busier periods or suggestions as to best place to be on the train?

On the weekends I usually just get on early and park the bike in the disabled area because the train is usually empty its not really an issue. Obviously moving if someone with a disability enters the train, I'm not that much of a jerk :-)

Cheers for the help everyone!

RonK

Re: Bikes on Trains

Postby RonK » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:03 am

You may find this difficult Fergy. Bike are not permitted on trains during peak hours.

You may get away with boarding at an unmanned suburban station but in the city the platform staff will likely prevent you from boarding.

Travelling with your bike

Good luck!
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

fergy1987

Postby fergy1987 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:36 am

hmm, definitely seems like its going to be difficult. Was going to ride to Toowong or Indooroopilly and try and catch it home from there. But know from catching the train, its pretty busy there also. Takes a while for people to start getting off the train.

Might just have to train more and just ride the whole distance.

NGtim

Postby NGtim » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:54 am

Just have strava on for some motivation :) Watch as the KM's grow and rub it in peoples faces at the end of the year!

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:56 am

Around the world people use folding bikes to use trains, the link Ron gave gives the OK conditions for folding bikes.

If you want independence from the train, try the route in the weekend you may be surprised 20km is as easy as 10km depending on the terrain if you pace yourself.

If your riding route is more desirable than the train journey, electric assisted full size or folding bicycle may be an option as well.

Eddie J

Postby Eddie J » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:35 pm

Generally the last carriage of each train is where the wheelchair sections are. A bike fits in well against the railing, and can easily be secured with the helmet. In this position, no one is hindered at all.

Being close to the door and in the last carriage, it will be the least crowded spot. But when I hop on, there are sod all people on the train.

I travel towards the CBD in the afternoon and get off the train at Roma St Station at about 6pm. There are usually quite a few getting off, but with patience and smiles, nobody is put out. Even though I'm travelling to the CBD in the afternoon, travelling through the CBD isn't permitted.

Depending on where you live, find out which station has a significant drop off in crowds and join there. The cycle way close to that line is pretty good I thought.

Eddie J

Postby Eddie J » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:27 am

Oops... zombie post.

Apologies

Sirrus

Postby Sirrus » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:48 pm

In the evening is is possible to ride from the city to an out suburb and then catch the train the rest of the way home?

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:17 pm

Out in the real world, people ride to the station and leave the bike there. It's not unusual to have a bike at either end.

Not sure if BNE is in the real world or not. Folding bike IN A BAG is doable, but QLD rail has weird rules about luggage.

WA is even better - the four train lines (metro, Bunbury, Avon and Kal) each had(!) different rules about what could and could not be brought on board. I remember the Bunbury route banned "tools" among other things. It seems a bit less byzantine now but there's still variation from route to route (no surfboard and only two folding bikes if you're going to Kal, but no golf clubs the other country trains).

Metro: 6PR discussed luggage with the TransPerth spokesman but I've not listedn to it
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:12 pm

I dealt with the Public Transport Authority many years ago to allow unicycles access all hours. This was contrary to everywhere else in the world (still is) but Public Transport Authority (PTA) were still willing to entertain my suggestions. Google unicycles Transperth and you will see that they did come to the party.

Perhaps with bikes someone may care to try for a less restrictive policy. I think it would be unlikley to change but if no-one takes up the cudgel than "unlikely to change" remains "will never change". And perhaps with some good suggestions and negotiations the three hour no-go limit could be reduced under some conditions. I'd suggest involving Bicycling WA as well as the government agency on bikes (whose title escapes me) along with the PTA.. Which means that you will have satisfy a few more parties than I had to.

The obvious issues with a bike on a train during peak hour are:
  • Space
  • Ability to get on and off withoug unduly affecting the time the train has to hang about at the station (a function of the first of course)
These are reasonable objections which the cycle-unfriendly policies address.

However there is a further issue that the WA Department of Transport have as well. In a crowded space fellow passsengers wi ll wind up wearing some of your chain oil, brake pad dust etc. This is an issue even when there are only a few standing passengers.

Perhaps a bike having a cover down to the bottom of the chain? I expect that there is no such products on the market but...
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:20 pm

It could be an idea not to buy a bianchi if you are planning to include using a train as part of your commute :wink:
Go!Run!GAH!

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:11 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:Perhaps a bike having a cover down to the bottom of the chain? I expect that there is no such products on the market but...
It's called a "rinko-bukhuro". If you want to put your bike on a train in Japan, this is how you do it.

Image(Compass Cycles)
Note that this usually requires removing both wheels; forks and handle bars to get inside the size restrictions. There are bigger bags out there that require less decomposition.

See here or here or the thread here.

There's a whole eco system of gear to support speedy dissassembley and reconstruction: headsets; pedals and fenders

ekib

Postby ekib » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:16 pm

I know its a little bit off topic, but I can't help comparing train restrictions with the use of private motor vehicles on our roads.
So you can't take a bicycle on a crowded peak hour train. :(
Compare that to the road system:

I want to drive my Toyota Landcruiser which is 5 metres long, 2 metres wide, weighs about 2.7 tonnes, carrying only the driver on the most congested roads during the peak congestion times in my capital city......... yes of course! no worries mate! :)

Ekib
The End.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:39 pm

Thoglette wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:Perhaps a bike having a cover down to the bottom of the chain? I expect that there is no such products on the market but...
It's called a "rinko-bukhuro". If you want to put your bike on a train in Japan, this is how you do it.

Image(Compass Cycles)
Note that this usually requires removing both wheels; forks and handle bars to get inside the size restrictions. There are bigger bags out there that require less decomposition.

See here or here or the thread here.

There's a whole eco system of gear to support speedy dissassembley and reconstruction: headsets; pedals and fenders
I was thinking something more akin to a bike pancho with slits or openings at the handle bars and top tube or seat so that it could still be wheeled on and off. As I said I expect that every rider would have to make their own. Though if Transperth or whoever allowed priveleges then someone would quickly start marketing something appropriate.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:44 pm

Looking at ebay there's bags from about $25 upwards. search "bag (transport, travel)" in bicycles

ChrisR24

Postby ChrisR24 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:44 pm

The other way to approach this is to get an e-bike. You'll be able to ride longer distances and at higher average speeds. It might mean a distance that you thought you could not do on a normal bike becomes attainable on an e-bike.

AndreB1972

Postby AndreB1972 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:40 pm

Some stations have bike boxes / bike cages. I had the same idea as yours when I started commuting... cycled to the station, locked bike in a box, train to city, then back in the afternoon and cycled home. Every few months I would change to a station closer to the city until I rode the whole way.

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:10 am

Brisbane is a hodgepodge of different rules and regulations with public transport depending on the service:

Bikes are not permitted on Brisbane trains during peak hours. You will have to lock it up at one of the secure areas or not take it. Some stations have a secure section you can leave your bike in with 24/7 CCTV coverage if you feel up to the risk.

If you live in an area serviced by the city cats (ferries) in Brisbane you can take your bike on them (subject to availability of space). It depends on how close you are to the Regatta ferry terminal in Toowong and where you're headed, but you can get off the ferry either at North Quay or Eagle Street pier.

In terms of the buses, Brisbane removed the buses with bike racks on them so the only way you can catch a bus now is if you have a folding bike that can fit in the luggage rack. This in turn alienates most bike riders. There is no under-bus luggage storage on Brisbane City buses.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:22 pm

Kronos wrote:Bikes are not permitted on Brisbane trains during peak hours.
I think that bikes are allowed on peak hour trains in Brisbane - if you are travelling in the direction opposite to the peak flow. Of course, that doesn't help much.

CaffeineAU

Postby CaffeineAU » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:19 pm

RobertL wrote:
I think that bikes are allowed on peak hour trains in Brisbane - if you are travelling in the direction opposite to the peak flow. Of course, that doesn't help much.
Sydney used to have a similar rule; if you were travelling in the peak direction, you had to buy a child ticket for your bike.

Recently, with the introduction of the opal card system, it's not feasible to buy single use tickets for your bike, so You can take your bicycle or a surfboard on a Sydney or Intercity train for free at any time.

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:56 pm

RobertL wrote:
In short, if you want to go with the flow of traffic in Brisbane you will have to catch a ferry/cat.

Otherwise, I didn't think we were talking about the opposite direction, but you're correct in that sense. You can have your bike on the train against the general flow of traffic. Other than that if you want to go with the flow of the traffic in Brisbane you'll have to use the city cat/ferry service that I described above.

In relation to Brisbane, we have the Go card system now but it doesn't affect bikes on trains. It's a fairly blanket rule, no bikes at all during peak hour in the flow of traffic. Your only option is the city cat subject to the fact that there is enough space on the cat/ferry and at the discretion of the captain and his crew at the time.

JackB

Postby JackB » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:31 am

Bikes are allowed on all trains in Melbourne, just the first door behind the driver is for use by wheel chairs and shop rider vehicles. The advantage of the bikes coming on peak trains is simple, each bike is one less parked car at the station and a space is available inside each door that easily keeps the bike out of the way. I commute via the train, bike riders tend group together around the three spare driver cab doors as they have the wide open wheel chair spaces. States that refuse to allow bikes need to make spaces in each carriage that could hold wheel chairs, prams and shop riders.

Wixxy

Postby Wixxy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:52 am

Could you cycle out of Brisbane CBD and join the train further out / outside of peak hours for the last leg of your commute home?

Usernoname

Postby Usernoname » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:05 am

Wixxy wrote:Could you cycle out of Brisbane CBD and join the train further out / outside of peak hours for the last leg of your commute home?
You can take your bike on the train:
on weekdays, except during the following peak times*: 7am - 9:30am towards the CBD. 3pm - 6:30pm outwards from the CBD.
Looks like you would have to wait until 6.30pm to board an outward train from any station, so probably not practical
Aus motorists are safe to kill a cyclist at any time & confident that they will be protected from any serious penalties.