What to wear for 20km commute eachway?

hypercube335

What to wear for 20km commute eachway?

Postby hypercube335 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:27 am

Hi guys just getting back into cycling...
Around 20km each way to and from work so 40km/day 5 days a week.

From Rhodes to Darling harbour is the route.(you know that steep hill near lillyfield.. I just die there [if you have alternate relatively flatter route please let me know])

Wondering what to wear for commute? I'm not a hardcore cat12345 rider
Just an average bloke on bicycle trying to quit smoking and get fit somewhat and roll happy.
Like on normal good sunny and not so hot days(cool breeze) normal shorts and t-shirt will cut it but on rainy days or cold day/night I'm stuck..!
I have a jacket but that just makes it so hot and uncomfortable. like boiling.. but if I take that jacket off I just become an ice cube..
help please~~

caneye

Re: What to wear for 20km commute eachway?

Postby caneye » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:51 am

I'm in Sydney and my commute is a similar distance to yours.

you should wear what-ever you're comfortable with :)

you might want to get a cycling gilet or vest (preferably with ventilation). it will keep your torso warm and is more flexible over a wider range of temperature. i find it more useful than a jacket. as the weather warms up, you'll be using this less and less.

also some arm sleeves for UV-protection. they also act as arm warmers when it's a touch on the cold side in spring/summer mornings. dual-purpose.

rain-weather gear is an entirely different topic altogether. you'll find it discussed many times on this forum.
- you can go the whole way and pick up really nifty expensive rain gear (that will keep you warm and dry) but during Sydney's summer storms, you will still overheat in them
- or, grit your teeth and ride harder to beat the rain, in which case, having the gilet/vest will keep your torso dry for a little longer too.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:43 am

1. Comfortable undies. Seriously, watch the seams of your shorts/undershorts. This is why most regular long distance commuters end up wearing bike shorts.

2. Gloves. Both for warmth in winter and also as the most important item of PPE you can wear.

3. Whatever else you feel like. A vest/gillet with a zip is good when it's a bit cool. I have a cheap folding rain/spray jacket to stop the wind and worst of the rain when it's wet.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

grimbo

Postby grimbo » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:38 pm

Yeah, cycling gilets (vests) are great - they keep your body warm but leave enough exposed for cooling and evaporation.

I use a wind breaker in winter, as it's the wind-chill that really gets you. Then I adjust the zip to try and keep at a comfy temperature.

I have given up on rain jackets, as I get so sweaty in them I figure it's nicer to just get wet from the rain. Of course, if I spent some money on a decent breathable rain jacket it might make a difference.

I used to commute via Lilyfield Rd, but now take a slightly longer route around the bay (Rod Point side), over the new Iron Cove bridge then through the back streets of Rozelle until it spits you out at the Anzac bridge. This route is a more scenic and has a lot less cars. It has a few short-sharp climbs, not quite as daunting as the Lilyfield Rd hill. Let me know if you're interested and I can ping you one of my trips from Strava.
"If I can bicycle, I bicycle" ~David Attenborough

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:22 pm

As you get fitter and faster you might find yourself getting frustrated by loose clothing flapping in the wind and slowing you down. Most of your energy above a modest speed goes to fighting wind resistance so you may find yourself in lycra sooner rather than later :)
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:49 am

I ride 20KMs each way to work every day. I wear normal shorts and cycling vests. I really don't think the world needs to see my lovely middle aged body in lycra shorts.

The advice above regarding gilets or vests is spot on - I wear mine 90% of the time when a vest is not enough. A full jacket is too much until it gets down to about 5 and I carry a rain jacket for when I get caught in bad rain. If the rain isn't so bad I just wear the gilet.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

Zippy7

Postby Zippy7 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:15 pm

I only have a 12km commute each way.
My preferred shorts are the Aldi mountain bike shorts (inners have a chamois), looks like normal shorts otherwise.
For the top, its either a hi-vis jersey (for the pockets), or a normal jersey with a hi-vis vest over the top.
I do have an Aldi rain jacket, but thats just a sweatbag, so don't use it. If it's raining either I get wet, or leave the bike and catch a train instead.
Successful trades : Rheicel, Je, wgc138, 2ndeffort, celeste boy, rodneycc

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:32 pm

Normal cycling kit for me, appropriate for the season. Most comfortable, least chafing.

At the moment it's a long sleeve summer weight jersey with a thermal underneath, and regular cycling bibknicks.

I went down the "normal" clothing route to start with. I didn't last long before going with activity-specific attire. It's been developed for a reason.

westab

Postby westab » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:03 pm

I'm with TG as well - its more comfortable and I have found lasts longer than "general shorts". I don't care about speed but without cycling shorts at this time of year my private areas would look like raw meat :oops: (I just passed 6700km or 300 hours for the year to date)

I don't buy the most expensive gear or the cheapest either as my commute is only 12km each way but I do ride most days I work and also to soccer/netball/swimming/little A's/ bible study at least 3 times per week every week school is in.

As far as rain gear goes I always have a "spray jacket" in my pannier (it rolls up to the size of a tee cup) in decent rain it doesn't keep you dry but stops the cold wind going straight through. If it going to rain cats and dogs or is doing so I have some PVC work rain gear that will keep me dry (mostly) but if it is hot it's a sauna suit - temperatures above 25C I'll just use the spray jacket as there is a shower for most of my destinations.

Hope this helps
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

tez001

Postby tez001 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:20 am

Whatever you feel comfortable in. For a 20km commute each way, you might even want to try some padded liners and shorts (or mountain bike shorts). Its what I started commuting in, however now just wear knicks and old lager cycling jerseys that I have around.

Lilyfield hill can be tough however the more times you do it, the easier it will get. Just put it in the lowest gear and spin your way up.

As grimbo said, you can go around the bay run and go along Victoria Rd to the Anzac bridge.

ausFred

Postby ausFred » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:41 pm

Cycling vest +1.

Very versatile all year around, you just change what's under them for warmth.

Justinjd79

Postby Justinjd79 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:14 pm

What are these cycling vests that everyone has?

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:50 pm

Justinjd79 wrote:What are these cycling vests that everyone has?
Stick "Cycling Gilet" into your favourite internet search engine.
There's a half decent guide here on Cycling weekly
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:36 am

Justinjd79 wrote:What are these cycling vests that everyone has?
Try this one: http://www.this link is broken.au/castelli-velo-vest/

As for the best kit to wear for plenty of commuting, if you have the dollars, I would go these:

http://www.cuore.ch/custom/au/en/GOLD-M ... SHORT.html

Hands down the most comfortable cycling shorts. It is expensive, but it is good. You can wear whatever jersey you want over the top of those, but those shorts are absolutely the best.

stoogey

Postby stoogey » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:05 am

I have a pretty comfy gel saddle so can get away with wearing tights with no chamois for 22km commute,

long sleeve sports top and gloves to protect from summer sun,

winter I wear garden gloves over my cycling gloves to stop fingers from freezing and wear extra baselayer under long sleeve top.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:31 pm

Wearing normal shorts on a Brooks saddle works for me. I know they don't suit everyone but I don't need any padding in the shorts with a Brooks.

DS

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:30 pm

I started commuting in board shorts and t shirt, added layers in winter. Over the years I added more cycle specific gear. Currently I usually ride in a loose sports Tshirt and a pair of 'shy shorts'. If I extend my commute to over 30km I'll add knicks under the shy shorts. Year round in shorts, but add an under layer and long sleeve jersey in Winter and boot covers, thick glove and a spray jacket when it is really cold (below 5).

My commute is normal at 20min, so checking the weather radar before leaving allows me to dodge the rain sometimes.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:25 pm

Coming from more than forty years of commuting my advice is simple. LAYERS!. 8)

The layers change according to the seasons and your particular climate, ride difficulty etc. It also pays to be prepared for change so things like a backpack, a locker at work with alternative wear and so forth. Although in this era of mobile comms that is no longer critical.
Last edited by ColinOldnCranky on Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:59 am

DavidS wrote:Wearing normal shorts on a Brooks saddle works for me. I know they don't suit everyone but I don't need any padding in the shorts with a Brooks.

DS
Yep that's me too, complete with the Brooks...and the tracky pants tucked into the sox goes with the look.
I didn't used to like a cardigan but the light ones that zip up to a roll collar give plenty of scope for early down hills and completely undone for uphills.
For the straight in traffic a cardigan flapping behind you is as good as a flag. :)

My uphills and down hills are not as tough as those younger fellers though. :)
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:22 am

Shorts and a Brooks saddle worked for 120KMs on Amy's Grand Fondo so I really see no reason to wear lycra, get padding or the like. And if you're commuting rather than racing or training surely this is a fashion crime best avoided ;)

DS

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:30 pm

My commute is approx 27 km and I where shy guy MTB shorts with a loose cycling jersey.

I use MTB shorts so I don't burn out the eyes of my fellow work colleagues like I would if I wore a pair of bibs. The added advantage is they come with a padded liner. I tried riding in jocks but even the good ones with no seams still give the worse chaff.

Cycling jerseys are better than t shirts as they wick the sweat away better and dry off faster in the change room for the commute home.

In the winter I use a gillet to cut the wind with leg and arm warmers, depending on the temperature.

I don't wear a rain jacket when its wet as they make me sweat. Beside I am not made of fairy floss and won't melt when I'm wet. I use full length mudguards in the rain too which keeps the worst of the muck off me.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:13 am

As Singlespeedscott said: get mudguards, an absolute essential for commuting. Dirty water off the road is no fun.

DS

Kronos

Postby Kronos » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:49 pm

Nothing special is needed at all when you start out, just a comfy pair of underwear, shorts/shoes that won't interfere with your gears and a t-shirt. I'd recommend flat pedals with skateboard type shoes that have a rubber gum sole. Until you're more confident in your skills and you want to reduce aero drag thats all you need. In about a weeks time you should be commuting with an average speed of about 25km/hr. Get some nice cycling gloves if you don't want to develop callouses on the inside of your palms. It's nice to have a good saddle either so that you don't end up with saddle sores.

I can ride more than 20kms in just shorts and a comfortable fitting t-shirt. I do it pretty much every other day. I also do it with flats on a steel frame bike for that extra added layer of comfort and so I can walk around in funky shoes once I'm in town until I have to get changed again. For commuting that's about all I'd recommend.

Although I see it every day there is no need to go overboard with a jersey and bib shorts for the commute. You have to be comfortable, and not look like a hipster (unless you are one). Trying to ride a bike in jeans is never comfortable, particularly what they pass off for skinny leg jeans these days. Just grab your favourite pair of comfortable shorts and a t-shirt like this. Snug fit cotton shirts breath better. The shorts you wear should not restrict your leg movement.

Bendo

Postby Bendo » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:49 am

Wool. Especially merino. It has a wider range of comfortable operating temperatures than any other fibre IME. Wool stinks less than polyester and cotton.

I started with ordinary shorts but the chafing was too bad. The chamois in bike shorts is not padding for your sit bones. It's to stop your bits rubbing. The more I rode, the more I bought bike specific clothing. Flapping jackets and even loose tshirts started to annoy me. The rear pockets in jerseys started to make sense, as did the tightness of cycling clothes. A headwind is difficult enough without having clothes that hold you back. Flappy clothes are OK for a 1-5km commute. 10 - 20km is another matter.

Mudguards are a good invention, as a previous poster mentioned.

b

JackB

Postby JackB » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:00 am

What i wear and why,
Comfortable clothes that i also dont feel like i am a clown wearing,
1. Gloves, hot days no sunburn, cold nights no frost bite, when i fall off they save the palms, mine are yellow with a reflective dot so easily seen day or night
2. King gee trousers or shorts , i wear one size larger than i need, they rugged and give me excellent protection when i go superman or fall off, so far not torn a pair of them in 2 years of commuting.
3. shirt well that is what ever i feel comfortable in, i am overweight according to bmi, so lycra makes me look like a fat rider, i usually wear a polo shirt, loose fitting, any colour usually dark navy blue.
4. night, i ride home after dark, usually after midnight, i wear proviz reflect 360 vest over a cycling jacket in winter or over a polo shirt in summer. It glows when headlights hit it and i stand out
Bike has cycliq cameras front and back, knog blinkers front and back, also a red tail light/ reflector at the end of the mud guard, reflective tyre's, pannier bags have reflective tabs, mobile phone holder has reflective tabs, so no car has any excuse to not see me i do literally glow at night. oh i also have a high lumen front light, which i only use if i am on a bike path at night or if one of the other two lights at the front go flat.