Help me pick a commuter bike?

ioanna

Re: Help me pick a commuter bike?

Postby ioanna » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:05 pm

Heh, those lights look amazing. I wouldn't have a clue how install a dynamo hub though, so maybe I'll stick to regular lights for now. I'm still contemplating whether I should attempt to fit full length fenders or go with the plastic clip-on ones. Full length seems better but I'd probably need to get them installed at a shop.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:03 pm

Full mudguards are far more effective than the plastic clip on ones, even better with mudflaps. I commute all year 'round and it makes a huge difference.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

koshari

Postby koshari » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:04 pm

Sks thermoplastic full fenders are pretty good and reasonably priced.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:12 pm

koshari wrote:Sks thermoplastic full fenders are pretty good and reasonably priced.
Unfortunately the way the stays are attached to the front guards means that water dams up under the guards and then forced out the sides over your feet and legs. If the stay connections where mounted to the outside they would be much better.

StevOz

Postby StevOz » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:04 pm

I cycle all year round, the topeak rack and bag out back work effectively as a rear mudguard, otherwise I just get wet.

When rain levels unexpectedly exceed a certain volume it really doesn't matter, you are going to get wet, no matter what water protection your bike or you wear.

I do have a wet weather coat when I think I could get caught out, though that is only good for light rain and almost at destination situations.

It's not usually a pleasing experience, though sometimes it can be kind of refreshing. It's not life threatening, surprisingly enough, the human body is water proof, also that warm shower and prepared change of clothes at the destination just feel great.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:54 pm

ioanna wrote:Heh, those lights look amazing. I wouldn't have a clue how install a dynamo hub though, so maybe I'll stick to regular lights for now. I'm still contemplating whether I should attempt to fit full length fenders or go with the plastic clip-on ones. Full length seems better but I'd probably need to get them installed at a shop.
There is not much 'installation' to do with a dynohub. Most people buy them already built into wheels. Only nerds like me will buy the hub and rebuild the wheel. After that it is only a question of stringing the wires, which only has to be done once, and a bit of insulating tape does the trick pretty well.

You will have to learn how to attach the wires to the hub, for the occasions where you need to remove your wheel, but it is not difficult. Most often the wheel comes off without thought, you only need to know how to re-attach them.

Once it is installed and running you can be comfortably assured that your lights are always doing their thing and apart from wiping the dust off the lenses they just always work.

Full length guards are the way to go, particularly with the front. (I just failed at attaching a flap, so I will have another go), If your guard doesn't stop the spray from going into your down tube (where it then deflects sideways onto your shoes, and chain) then it is not achieving all that you would want.

Cheers,

Cameron