2017 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

westab

Re: 2017 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby westab » Mon May 22, 2017 9:59 am

muggle - nice mate nice.

that's one nice commute - and bike.

I like my commute at the moment especially the last couple of days last week when the forecast rain didn't come. I ride through parkland with bell birds (and fog this morning) - it is just good to be alive and enjoying things like this.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

westab

Postby westab » Tue May 30, 2017 5:08 pm

Sunday night I cut the end of my right thumb while washing up the food processor blade (not serious) but got three stitches. My riding has dropped off a little as it hurts with the vibration through the bars. I will be short 20km I think as I am keen just to get home.

Normal distances will resume next week - once the stitches come out. Just don't tell Mrs Westab that it hurts or she will "kindly" drop me to work each day and pick me up after. There will be no time for myself nor quiet without the kids (who are wonderful) - It's good to ride and next time I won't leave the cutting blade in the mixer bowl :? :? :? :oops: :oops: :oops:

Cardy George

Postby Cardy George » Tue May 30, 2017 11:14 pm

westab wrote:.......(not serious) but got three stitches..........
I think that's the most Australian thing I've read all week :lol:

And I too have lived thru your suffering, both with the 'helpful' wife and 'enthusiastic' kids :wink:

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:40 pm

That's no good Westab.

Hope you get back to normal commuting soon.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:08 am

half way...
1 JasonC 6400.78 km
2 Ironhanglider 5731.01 km
3 Stryder Tanjil Aris 5196.22 km
4 David SSS 5053.50 km
5 Calvin (cancan) 4919.24 km
6 Andrew "westab" Branson 3988.66 km
7 Greg (mugglechops) Lewis 3966.90 km
8 caneye YLW 3770.41 km
9 Graham W 3496.09 km
10 Jeremy (Cardy George) Roden 2816.07 km

Cardy George

Postby Cardy George » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:46 pm

Pretty happy with top 10, especially having not ridden at all for two weeks due to a virus

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:14 pm

Great to see some new names in the top 10

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:31 pm

Bloody competitive isn't it?

See how well I do in the second half.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:24 pm

I had last week off. I better get back to chasing that 6th place :D

westab

Postby westab » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:47 pm

Mugglechops wrote:I had last week off. I better get back to chasing that 6th place :D
No - you need to have another week off; it's too cold to start back this week. You know that I'm thinking of your health as it can be a real shock to the system to ride in the cold.

Also you shouldn't ride with the TDF on the TV you should drive to work get home have early dinner then a power nap before watching how all the professionals ride so you can improve your technique for the spring time. You know that I'm just trying to be kind and compassionate in giving you sound advise. :mrgreen: :wink: :mrgreen:

Like others have said - it's getting very competitive; which is wonderful for me and my slightly "bulkier" frame as finding the motivation to hold Mugglechops in seventh might actually lead to the 8kg I would like to loose by February next year to be down to 5kg by spring time when riding is a little easier.
Enjoy it out there everyone.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:40 am

Looking at the 10 day forecast and I have 10 wet days ahead of me... doesnt help with trying to get the km in and stay in touch with David although on a good note I forgot to enter the run race so jogging as gone and I can continue to cycle to work everyday
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:11 pm

westab wrote:
Mugglechops wrote:I had last week off. I better get back to chasing that 6th place :D
No - you need to have another week off; it's too cold to start back this week. You know that I'm thinking of your health as it can be a real shock to the system to ride in the cold.

Also you shouldn't ride with the TDF on the TV you should drive to work get home have early dinner then a power nap before watching how all the professionals ride so you can improve your technique for the spring time. You know that I'm just trying to be kind and compassionate in giving you sound advise. :mrgreen: :wink: :mrgreen:

Like others have said - it's getting very competitive; which is wonderful for me and my slightly "bulkier" frame as finding the motivation to hold Mugglechops in seventh might actually lead to the 8kg I would like to loose by February next year to be down to 5kg by spring time when riding is a little easier.
Enjoy it out there everyone.
Ha Ha, it was bloody cold this morning. I am having a slightly shorter week this week as I am trying to drop a few more kgs myself this year.

I have lost 16kgs since this time last year. Riding roughly 200kms a week is good for me :D

westab

Postby westab » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:36 pm

Mugglechops wrote: Ha Ha, it was bloody cold this morning. I am having a slightly shorter week this week as I am trying to drop a few more kgs myself this year.

I have lost 16kgs since this time last year. Riding roughly 200kms a week is good for me :D
Mate that's great work - no actually 16kgs is amazing.
Yes the first ride for me this morning was very cold (6am) as I rode to my mates place to read the Bible and pray together. The ride into work was toasty warm in comparison.

I couldn't agree more that riding is good for you - and if you are like me: its both good physically and mentally.

Keep it up and I'll do my best to give you something to chase - maybe we could even "draft" online to fight for a top 5 slot. :mrgreen:

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:31 pm

Online drafting I like that. Maybe we should commute via Zwift.......

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:37 pm

Mugglechops wrote:Online drafting I like that. Maybe we should commute via Zwift.......
Zwift doesn't count as commuting

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:43 pm

jasonc wrote:
Mugglechops wrote:Online drafting I like that. Maybe we should commute via Zwift.......
Zwift doesn't count as commuting
Zwift doesn't count as riding :D :D

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:37 pm

cancan64 wrote:Looking at the 10 day forecast and I have 10 wet days ahead of me... doesnt help with trying to get the km in and stay in touch with David although on a good note I forgot to enter the run race so jogging as gone and I can continue to cycle to work everyday
You're in Auckland, it's July, mate . . . take a break you can't cycle in those conditions. You deserve a break :P

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

westab

Postby westab » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:39 pm

low kms this week due to a trade show - Caught the train into the city yesterday and simply don't know how people do that every day. Reminded me how much I like riding. Back to it tonight and I can't wait.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:28 pm

I had a whole week off (cursed holidays) and fortunately this week is all wet and cold.

It is a good reminder to why I ride instead of other options:

I don't have to sit for an hour in the close company of of a hundred other humans one or two of which are bound to be nobly going to work in spite of illness.

I get to enjoy nature at her finest.

My commute to work is actually peaceful and relaxing. I could choose a faster, more stressful route but why?

In short I enjoy my ride to work, I wish that everyone could be so pleased with their commute.

Cheers,

Cameron

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:29 am

I enjoy my commute... Outside of the traffic and bad drivers Auckland is pretty scenic to commute in... I get to follow the harbour or go do hills...or both. Weather is crap and I would rather be back in Brisbane in the warmth but after 5 min I am warmed up... and we have day light savings in summer... although just missed the hail this morning so glad I took a wrong turn and ended up going to work early
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

westab

Postby westab » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:15 pm

I enjoy my commute as well - it was cold this morning (not as cold as NZ) so I left a little later and went the shorter way as I was feeling a little tired. I spoke to the "lolly pop lady" at the crossing of the local school, rode on the bike path that goes through the local park, watched a magpie gathering nesting material and food (it must be getting to swooping season soon) and felt the sun on my face.

What's not to enjoy - tonight it will be the long ride home (only 20kms) and arrive home relaxed ready to enjoy the weekend. :D

westab

Postby westab » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:07 am

Travelling for work so no commutes over the next couple of days. It has been a poor couple of weeks for me with commuting; Hope to be back into it lots next week.

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:03 pm

Been a few slow weeks for me. I only went to work two days last week and one of those days I had to get a lift home :(

Back to three days this week and will be on the Fatbike so it will be a fun three days.

westab

Postby westab » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:16 pm

Slow couple of weeks for me with lots of other stuff on work wise - now in another two weeks I have a work conference so a week off the bike - Mugglechops will most likely pass me then. And if not then I have the week off before the October long weekend.

Still I hope to get some kms in the next two weeks and enjoy this warming weather before a hot dry summer starts - which I think we are in for.

Enjoy the spring everyone. :D

Mugglechops

Postby Mugglechops » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:03 pm

I had 13 days off the bike back at the start of August so have been chasing. Plus I had an issue logging into Endomondo so it looked like I had given up for around 5 weeks.

Singlespeed commuting for this month so I will see how I go building a buffer :-)

I did hit 5000kms for the year yesterday which is my best so far for this time of year.