Maps of bike paths

zebee

Maps of bike paths

Postby zebee » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:55 am

http://www.citylab.com/commute/2017/02/ ... aps/512657

Bike path maps that look like subway/train maps.

Idea being that you have an idea of where the paths go, and certain landmarks are the "stations". I think something like this would be interesting for Oz cities. Would certainly show the disconnects!

IT would only be useful if it showed clear paths, so separated or otherwise clearly marked so the route was obvious on the ground. But given that it would be a good tool to give people pondering a commute as in "see, you can get there from here". And a good tool to ask "why is there a gap here?"

In Sydney my commute is mostly offroad paths with one section onroad which includes a nasty hill. Could show the much longer mostly offroad section and the shorter but less "friendly" onroad one in a different colour. (Be not much good for wayfinding as too many turns, but OK as a general idea)

Wonder how hard it is to generate?

tez001

Re: Maps of bike paths

Postby tez001 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:36 am

There is the RMS cyclefinder?

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/bicycle ... index.html

Or just google maps is pretty good I find.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:38 am

Its a good idea, especially the landmarks. As you say the problem is the disconnects. The dodgy way in which google maps and the RMS cycleway finder deal with it is by including door zone lanes & "bicycle friendly" roads.

On the cycleway finder, try turning off everything except paths & low difficulty - all of a sudden it looks like a join the dots puzzle
Anything you can do, I can do slower

misterhorsey

Postby misterhorsey » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:42 pm

That's a brilliant idea!