improving an avanti explorer 3.0 (2012?) for commuting

Bernie3

improving an avanti explorer 3.0 (2012?) for commuting

Postby Bernie3 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:27 pm

As the title said, what would you recommend as ways to make this bike better for commuting 10km from Lilyfield to Concord west? It already has a rack, lights etc. Wondering about swapping out the suspension fork for fixed? Would this be worth it? The bike is in excellent condition but a fairly heavy hybrid. Not sure if swapping tyres out would make a noticible difference. I'm not in a position to purchase another bike atm and the bike runs well so figured I'd do what I could with it whilst studying.

Bernie3

Re: improving an avanti explorer 3.0 (2012?) for commuting

Postby Bernie3 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:57 pm

Have I posted this in the right thread? Or is there a better thread for these questions?

CycloTron

Postby CycloTron » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:19 pm

Probably because these subforums don't see as much traffic as the main ones.

Some quick thoughts:

Swapping out the Suntour suspension fork for a rigid (preferrably carbon) fork will make an enormous difference.
Changing from chunky to slick tyres (if that suits your terrain) will also be beneficial.
If your terrain is not too moutainous, ditching the front derailleur and going for a 1x11 setup will also simplify things and shed some weight.
Lastly, and most expensively, upgrading the wheelset to something lighter, perhaps tubeless.

Bernie3

Postby Bernie3 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:59 pm

Thanks for your response!!
So it would definitely be doable to get rid of that suspension, yay! It is just a bit of overkill for where i'm riding. What would be a ball park figure for a fork that might suit? I'd be buying instore and getting them to install, just want to know roughly what to expect. There are hills that challenge me atm due to my lack of fitness, but once that feels a bit easier i'd be happy to look at changing the gearing. IT has disc brakes which I like, is it markedly more expensive to buy wheels that can carry them?
Really appreciate your time, feel a bit more positive about using this bike and not wasting it!

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:20 pm

+1 for new forks. No idea on cost, but google should help. As always, expect to pay more in a real shop.

Disc wheels shouldn't be much more expensive to replace than rim brake wheels. BUT... wheels aren't cheap and upgrading wheels can cost a fair bit.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:49 pm

The explorer 3 is a fairly basic bike, so pretty much anything you do to it will be an upgrade. Sure you can ditch the front suspension fork - it will be heavy & ineffective. The suspension seat post likewise

BUT upgraditis is a dreadful disease, especially if you are paying LBS prices + labour - you will rapidly end up paying far more than a new bike, for not much reward. I would be surprised if you can find an LBS to supply and fit a carbon disc fork for less than $500.

Personally I would suggest riding it until it dies, replacing parts as required - one of my commuters was a similar spec. In its current guise, the only original parts are the frame, stem and bars. Everything else has been replaced - but that is over a period of 7 or 8 years and more than 20,000 km.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

CycloTron

Postby CycloTron » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:54 pm

For example, something like this will cost 315 EUR (~$450) shipped to your door:

https://www.bike24.com/p250103.html

You might find an LBS that will install it for you and labour might cost $50-100 or so. I highly recommend learning to do these things yourself, the internet is full of helpful videos and websites.

Good wheels will cost a few hundred as well. Generally once you go down this path, and I'm sure others will probably tell you the same, it becomes more and more economic to just tough it out until you can upgrade to an entire new bike.

tez001

Postby tez001 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:04 pm

I'd agree with Bruce and not upgrade the bike, apart from maybe some new slicks for the tyres. Everything else if you re paying a LBS will cost a lot more, and you'd be better off just spending $400 - $500 on a new hybrid / road bike with rigid forks

Bernie3

Postby Bernie3 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:37 pm

Appreciate all the info everyone! The seat isn't a suspension type but the front shocks don't seem to be super amazing. I agree that it might cost a bit but figured the deore setup and disc brakes on top of the excellent condition would make it worthwhile? Guessing technology has gone way past that set up now, seems a shame to just run it into the ground and chuck it though.Guess I'll start with some slicks and go from there. I'm happy to do stuff on the bike myself but my local bike store have always been awesome and I wouldn't buy online and then ask them to install.

boyracer

Postby boyracer » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:27 pm

Look for a 'mosso' branded fork- alloy- disc mounts - 1 1/8 and the right length or thereabouts. Swap out that boat anchor fork for about 70 dollars online and have a go yourself at fitting?

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:56 pm

I wouldn't bother doing anything unless it breaks, wears out or you feel a significant improvement could be made (eg if the brakes were crappy or the tyres had no grip). It will just be throwing away money that would better be saved for the next bike

Booyah

Postby Booyah » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:37 pm

Gday where did you purchase your pannier rack? Did it come from avanti or could you get a generic model?
Cheers