Commute NW Suburbs Melbourne (Advice Sought)

Pacific Rims

Commute NW Suburbs Melbourne (Advice Sought)

Postby Pacific Rims » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:00 am

I am starting a new job and don't feel confident enough with Melbourne drivers to risk non-bike paths, except for small periods of time. I am looking for the safest, most direct way to get from point A to point B and vice-versa, that almost exclusively uses bike paths of some description.

Point A: Cumberland Rd, Pascoe Vale or Glenbervie Station, Essendon (I will likely ride my bike to the train station in the winter/bad weather and get off at Glenbervie, which seems to be the closest to my destination).
Point B: Cnr Keilor Rd and Rachelle Rd, Keilor.

People who live around Pascoe Vale, Essendon, Keilor who have ridden this area may be the best bet here for advice. Google maps takes me up Keilor Rd but how safe is that and is there a bike path there?

Any advice much appreciated. Thanks. :D

find_bruce

Re: Commute NW Suburbs Melbourne (Advice Sought)

Postby find_bruce » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:05 am

Welcome outside Pacific Rims, any luck in figuring out a route?
Anything you can do, I can do slower

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:23 am

You're kinda screwed on the bike path thing, there really aren't any going that way. Unless you live at the Nth end of Cumberland, then you could use the Ring Rd path. I'd look at getting onto the Moonee Ponds ck trail as soon as you can, off at Woodland, along Woodland, then Keilor Rd. Keilor Rd's not bad, no path that I know of. Slow going due to shops/trams so good for bikes. Can get onto Hotham just before Matthews Ave, nice slow back street that runs parallel with Keilor Rd and misses the semi-industrial area and Fwy overpass and get back on Keilor Rd 2 streets before Rachelle.

If you're keen for path only at the top of Rachelle you can hit the Steele Ck trail. Connects to Maribyrnong River trail, which connects to the Moonee Ponds Ck trail via Footscray Rd path and Capital City Trail under Citilink. Really keen :lol:

Pacific Rims

Postby Pacific Rims » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:34 am

Greatly detailed but disappointing (for me) reply - looks like the area is lagging behind for decent bike paths. Thanks heaps.