2018 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

find_bruce

2018 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:24 pm

After basking in the glory of my top 10 finish for 2017, its time for a new thread.

The commuting challenge is for any rider on any type of bike and is described as -
"ACF BNA Commuter challenge. A commute is where you start at one destination and end at another for a purpose other than training. e.g. to work, to the shops......"

If you would like to join please find the link to the challenge here https://www.endomondo.com/challenges/35466613 (and yes you will have to join Endomondo.

Access to the challenge will be closed at some point (usually end of January) to stop the randoms, but Jason will open it up on request to allow new competitors in.

And with that Stryder has jumped from the flag drop to gain an early lead, with 2017 runner up cancan well down and triple champion Jason yet to start.

Now to see if I can figure out how to make it sticky & let 2017 slide

Cyclophiliac

Re: 2018 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby Cyclophiliac » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:38 pm

find_bruce wrote:After basking in the glory of my top 10 finish for 2017, its time for a new thread.

The commuting challenge is for any rider on any type of bike and is described as -
"ACF BNA Commuter challenge. A commute is where you start at one destination and end at another for a purpose other than training. e.g. to work, to the shops......"

If you would like to join please find the link to the challenge here https://www.endomondo.com/challenges/35466613 (and yes you will have to join Endomondo.

Access to the challenge will be closed at some point (usually end of January) to stop the randoms, but Jason will open it up on request to allow new competitors in.

And with that Stryder has jumped from the flag drop to gain an early lead, with 2017 runner up cancan well down and triple champion Jason yet to start.

Now to see if I can figure out how to make it sticky & let 2017 slide
My longer commute is happening this week, so I'll be logging 310km on it shortly. By the way, regarding my earlier question: any way to setup a forum sig line (or graphic) showing commuter challenge progress?

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:03 pm

Hmm 4th last year, see if I can do better this year although not at work until 22 Jan so slow start. Will be chasing for quite a while I reckon.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:07 am

Cyclophiliac wrote:My longer commute is happening this week, so I'll be logging 310km on it shortly. By the way, regarding my earlier question: any way to setup a forum sig line (or graphic) showing commuter challenge progress?
Kb has set up the signatures such as

I know it works with Strava, not sure about Endomondo. PM kb and he will know whats possible

Cardy George

Postby Cardy George » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:10 am

I'm planning on basking on my high rank for the next week or so. By then the real commuters should pass :lol: :lol: :lol:

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:51 am

the pace is hot from the start... I am back on the bike next week although did get 2 days in last week
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

westab

Postby westab » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:32 pm

Cardy George wrote:I'm planning on basking on my high rank for the next week or so. By then the real commuters should pass :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mate you are a "real" commuter - you did 7000km last year - if you work that our over a 48 week working year (4 weeks annual leave) that's 145 kms per week, 30kms per day, between 5 & 6 hours per week depending on your speed - you are a machine. Congratulations

To show some perspective: Read below :mrgreen:
My next door neighbour is a personal trainer and runs some training out of his home in the evenings; one of his "top" clients who thinks he is just it saw us talking before one of his hour long workouts and laughed about the dumb cyclist next door and how out of shape I was due to my low intensity, legs only, non scientific, ....... blah, blah, blah...... style of workout. The next week Mario invited me to do a challenge workout with his client (who he keeps encouraging to make "workouts" a lifestyle thing not a gym / personal trainer thing) it was fun hour centred all on upper body / cardio and I kept pace with his client - who was in in his early 30's and 15 years younger than yours truly.

So to all my friends doing this challenge - keep riding and enjoy.
I would like to say thanks for your contribution to improving our nations heart health, possible reducing cancer, most likely reducing some mental health issues (lets release those endorphin's), lowering our need for fossil fuels, and most of all inspiring me to keep riding and not feeling that I'm riding all on my own (which physically is about 98% of the time).

C.G. having another to battle with last year was pure gold - Thanks. I'll try to keep up this year - for this first week back for me the challenge will be getting over 100kms - then start chasing position #7 whilst holding position #9 at bay - we are at it again :mrgreen:
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:24 pm

I just uploaded commuting week #1 to Endomondo: 312km added, about 13,200km to go. :D
I did estimate 14,700km, but then remembered I'll have 5 weeks off commuting, because another cycling trip to the French Pyrenees is being planned: not commuting, but so much better.

Cardy George

Postby Cardy George » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:49 pm

westab wrote:
Cardy George wrote:I'm planning on basking on my high rank for the next week or so. By then the real commuters should pass :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mate you are a "real" commuter - you did 7000km last year - if you work that our over a 48 week working year (4 weeks annual leave) that's 145 kms per week, 30kms per day, between 5 & 6 hours per week depending on your speed - you are a machine. Congratulations

To show some perspective: Read below :mrgreen:
My next door neighbour is a personal trainer and runs some training out of his home in the evenings; one of his "top" clients who thinks he is just it saw us talking before one of his hour long workouts and laughed about the dumb cyclist next door and how out of shape I was due to my low intensity, legs only, non scientific, ....... blah, blah, blah...... style of workout. The next week Mario invited me to do a challenge workout with his client (who he keeps encouraging to make "workouts" a lifestyle thing not a gym / personal trainer thing) it was fun hour centred all on upper body / cardio and I kept pace with his client - who was in in his early 30's and 15 years younger than yours truly.

So to all my friends doing this challenge - keep riding and enjoy.
I would like to say thanks for your contribution to improving our nations heart health, possible reducing cancer, most likely reducing some mental health issues (lets release those endorphin's), lowering our need for fossil fuels, and most of all inspiring me to keep riding and not feeling that I'm riding all on my own (which physically is about 98% of the time).

C.G. having another to battle with last year was pure gold - Thanks. I'll try to keep up this year - for this first week back for me the challenge will be getting over 100kms - then start chasing position #7 whilst holding position #9 at bay - we are at it again :mrgreen:
Cheers mate, it turned out that you, me and Mugglechops were kind of like the amateur teams in some forms of Motorsport. Never really in the hunt for top honours but having fun none the less!

If I was still in Adelaide I reckon I could've given them a run as my commute was 30km one way, but the lifestyle is far too good over here :D I now have to figure out how to stop SWMBO from camping outside of work when the weather is a bit average.......

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:46 pm

I need some accountability to get off my can this year so I'm in :oops:
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

westab

Postby westab » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:57 am

Lizzy wrote:I need some accountability to get off my can this year so I'm in :oops:
Great to see you in - please bring heaps of friends with you. I think its going to be a good year.

westab

Postby westab » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:36 pm

No riding for me tomorrow - I am required to drop my daughter to work, get to work myself then return to pick her up followed by swimming comp (a couple of blocks from her work). Hopefully there will be some PB's at swimming with the extra petrol in the tank.

I really am already hating the second car hopefully soon #1 kid will get her provisional licence and drive herself to work - or even better get on her bike herself. At least it's only a part time job.

Cardy George

Postby Cardy George » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:21 pm

Lost 40k off this week's total yesterday......

Luckily I could still see my house when I stopped

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:18 am

A new tube wont fix that
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:23 am

I'm betting you didn't get far on that tyre.

Cardy George

Postby Cardy George » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:19 pm

No, definitely didn't get far that morning! Luckily I managed to deflate before the tube popped. Would've had two dead bikes and no way to get to work.

They're crappy, $20, keep-the-metal-off-the-tarmac Big W tyres, and when they wear out, or you clobber something big, the carcass fails and your left with a massive growth :shock:

westab

Postby westab » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:35 pm

Cardy George wrote:No, definitely didn't get far that morning! Luckily I managed to deflate before the tube popped. Would've had two dead bikes and no way to get to work.

They're crappy, $20, keep-the-metal-off-the-tarmac Big W tyres, and when they wear out, or you clobber something big, the carcass fails and your left with a massive growth :shock:
Man - I would be ditching the lot of them - that look too scary to me if it blows out. I like the rubber on the road rather than the skin.

Have a good weekend everyone - safe riding. :mrgreen:

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:37 am

Cardy George wrote:Lost 40k off this week's total yesterday......

Luckily I could still see my house when I stopped
Looks like my pre-christmas gut!! :lol:

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:39 am

Hey....what's up with all these "no name recorded" entries? I wish I'd known about that a few years ago....save the embarrassment :lol:

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:05 am

Anyone know who the person in 1st place is? The one who does 75km commutes? :shock: How can we compete with that?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:08 am

Cyclophiliac wrote:Anyone know who the person in 1st place is? The one who does 75km commutes? :shock: How can we compete with that?
That would be Strydz.
Strydz wrote:If I can stay healthy (and employed) I'll try and unseat you oh Grand Master Commuter :wink:
The challenge is about persistence & challenging yourself, with encouragement from friends. I know I won’t be at the top but I will be plugging along as best I can.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:03 pm

Ok, 15th position but back to work tomorrow, time to try and move up the board and avoid dropping off the front page.

I seem to be a little behind my target at the moment :o

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:36 am

Cyclophiliac wrote:Anyone know who the person in 1st place is? The one who does 75km commutes? :shock: How can we compete with that?
You will find there are a lot of micro competitions in here as well as those going for broke.... and its a long time 12 months.

I find I use the challenge to push myself that little bit more than I would if just going to and from work, and made no difference between last year when I was chasing Jason for 1st place to the year before when I was chasing 10th place... its just extra motivation to catch the person ahead or stay ahead of the person behind, and the byproduct of that is the extra motivation to cycle than take the car.

And pretty hard to do a 75km commute consistently for the year. I have a Wednesday commute home which is 80km and will be more when I move next month but as it involves a 400mtr climb and windy downhill I only ride it during daylight savings and when its dry, and when I can get away with it at home, so km you see now might not be throughout the year, to win it you will need to be consistent and consistently pulling 300km plus weeks which can be challenging in Winter

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:11 am

find_bruce wrote:
That would be Strydz.
Everester extraordinaire :wink:

I'd love to see an altitude CC. That'd be interesting.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:22 am

fat and old wrote:I'd love to see an altitude CC. That'd be interesting.
Jason has looked into this... issue you have is there is no consistency with elevation , eg same group ride can produce different elevations for the same ride...and can widely be out otherwise would be fun... I like aim for 1000mtr a day commuting