Setting up for commuting

MichaelB

Re: Setting up for commuting

Postby MichaelB » Fri May 11, 2018 10:33 am

march83 wrote:I'm going to buy a gabba jersey this winter. I'm a 100% rain, hail or shine commuter so I figure I should have the right gear...

Also, I discovered a few weeks back that my food dehydrator makes for an excellent shoe dryer after very wet days
Did you get a Gabba (or equivalent) jersey ? LS or SS ?

I find that I have the options to do some hills on my commute, but as I'm a lardy arse, I sweat buckets if I rug up too much, so after something that is suitable for the climb and descent. I find my shoulders get cold if I just use a gilet, and if I have too much on, I get overheated on the climb. (I have a nigh & light rain jacket for the descents)

So are these 'gabba' jerseys all they are cracked up to be ? If so, where is best place to buy ?

Are they 'race' cut and therefore a bit on the tight side ?

Tim

Postby Tim » Fri May 11, 2018 10:54 am

MichaelB wrote:So are these 'gabba' jerseys all they are cracked up to be ? If so, where is best place to buy ?

Are they 'race' cut and therefore a bit on the tight side ?
Everybody raves about their Gabba jackets, renamed Perfetto.
Essentially they are a thin, skin-tight softshell jacket, very much race cut.
I wore one most of last winter. Very effective at blocking wind and cold air worn over a poly or merino baselayer.
They are meant to breath but they don't do it very well. I accumulate sweat rapidly after hard effort and in temps above about 14-15° C.
They do look pretty smart, I've been told, and I rarely receive compliments about my physical appearance. :D

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri May 11, 2018 11:25 am

Hi Tim,

Thanks. I'd be wearing it typically at 10 degrees or less (early morning rides or night time).

Re sizing, If using with a thin base layer, and normally have 2XL as a std size, would you stick with the 2XL or go one larger ? Can get the Perfetto LS jersey for $165 at Evans in the right sizing.

Tim

Postby Tim » Fri May 11, 2018 11:41 am

Not totally sure on sizing, I'm a bit smaller than you.
I hover between small and medium in most tops. The medium fits perfectly.
From memory the sizing chart was accurate but maybe err on the larger size. I can usually wear either small or medium in most gear but wouldn't fit into a small sized Perfetto jacket.
!0℃ is about the ideal temp for these jackets I've found. Slightly chilly to begin but soon warmed-up.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri May 11, 2018 12:17 pm

Ta.

Thinking, and whilst it will be good, $165 is a BIG investment, so wavering .....

Tim

Postby Tim » Fri May 11, 2018 12:31 pm

Personally I wouldn't purchase another Gabba/Perfetto.
They have a very limited useful temperature range. I sweat heavily over about 15℃ and freeze anything much below 10℃ though I don't have much cold tolerance (no fat layer).
More versatile and comfortable clothing for me is the typical layered and zippered system with a thin removable and pocket stowable wind proof jacket.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri May 11, 2018 12:48 pm

Fair enough, makes sense. Have enough of that gear already to get me though, just need more determination !!

Re the 'fat layer' - that's my problem. Too much of it !!

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Fri May 11, 2018 12:57 pm

MichaelB wrote: Re sizing, If using with a thin base layer, and normally have 2XL as a std size, would you stick with the 2XL or go one larger ? Can get the Perfetto LS jersey for $165 at Evans in the right sizing.
2XL regular size with everybody or Castelli?

I am an M or L with most brands (98cm chest) for jerseys and like race cut (tight). Castelli it is L if not XL.

I own
Gabba SS in M (because I only wear with light base layer), it was race fit (sadly managed to damage it in a crash)
Perfetto Light SS jersey in L, and it is tighter than my M Gabba (ps don't get a Perfetto Light, do not offer any real protection from the elements).
Perfetto LS jersey in XL, after the Perfetto Light SS episode went up a size, glad I did. Though I can easily sneak a couple of layers underneath.

Other alternative to Gabba/Perfetto

Morvelo Stormshield SS, lighter weight than the Gabba, heavier than the Perfetto Light SS, but it does everything I wanted/expected from Perfetto Light SS.

Sportful Fiandre Norain LS, heavier than the Perfetto LS, picked it up ridiculously cheap ($95) from Wiggle last year, unfortunately it is a M, I really need a L. It is my go to jacket for real nasty conditions (cold and wet), but have not had to use it much.

I do commute/train in all weather but it is WA so it is not that bad.

Kit choices for wet/threat of rain:
12C+ Morvelo Stormshield SS
9 -12C Morvelo Stormshield SS, light base layer, nanoflex armwarmers
5-8C Perfetto LS jersey
0-4C Sportful Fiandre Norain LS, base layer LS

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri May 11, 2018 1:49 pm

Another alternative is Ground Effect - in particular their range of stuff with "WindFoil" (another soft shell), just on the chest and thin merino elsewhere. Kills the wind but I don't cook

I have the espressothermos*, which due to the merino can be worn for ways at a time under differing jerseys (which being synthetic, need changing daily).

*funny how the memory plays tricks
Last edited by Thoglette on Fri May 11, 2018 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri May 11, 2018 2:08 pm

Thoglette wrote:Another alternative is Ground Effect - in particular their range of stuff with "WindFoil" (another soft shell), just on the chest and thin merino elsewhere. Kills the wind but I don't cook

So, using that tip, there is the Baked Alaska (GREEN & 3/4 zip :mrgreen: ), Frosty Boy (may be a bit too much), Pushover (meh, 3/4 zip) or Draft Dodger (like Frosty Boy).

Seems the Baked Alaska would be the pick, but don't like the 3/4 zip ...

Tim

Postby Tim » Fri May 11, 2018 3:54 pm

I have an old Frosty Boy with Findfoil across the front of the arms and torso and fairly heavy polar fleece on the back.
It breaths very well, is comfortable though not a tight fit.
It's warm, very warm. I wear it comfortably at -2 to 8℃.
Anything higher and it is too hot.
I think the merino/Windfoil combo is a little cooler ie. the merino is thinner than the fleece.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Sat May 12, 2018 1:07 am

I have a perfetto and to be honest I wouldn't get another.

It is a fine piece of clothing but the sizing is for dwarves.

I am fairly large and have large shoulders. I have an Enduro gillet in XL which is fine. The perfetto is XXXL and fits fine around the shoulders and waist but is not long enough. I'm only 5'10" so average height and large but not fat. If only they would make these things for people over 5'5" or anorexic I'd be happy.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

caneye

Postby caneye » Tue May 22, 2018 3:32 pm

not sure if anyone has mentioned this - but whenever you buy cycling gear (whether it is jersey or bib), the resealable plastic bag that it comes in is very useful for packing office clothes. if you fold it tightly, you can transport shirts and pants with minimal creases.

fergy1987

Postby fergy1987 » Wed May 23, 2018 9:59 am

caneye wrote:not sure if anyone has mentioned this - but whenever you buy cycling gear (whether it is jersey or bib), the resealable plastic bag that it comes in is very useful for packing office clothes. if you fold it tightly, you can transport shirts and pants with minimal creases.
Another similar method is those shops like Daiso sell plastic sealable bags real cheap - Which Ive been using to put my work clothes in. Everything stays in pretty good shape, I'm yet to bust an iron out!

boyracer

Postby boyracer » Wed May 23, 2018 11:00 pm

MichaelB wrote:Hi Tim,

Thanks. I'd be wearing it typically at 10 degrees or less (early morning rides or night time).

Re sizing, If using with a thin base layer, and normally have 2XL as a std size, would you stick with the 2XL or go one larger ? Can get the Perfetto LS jersey for $165 at Evans in the right sizing.
Michael B - I'm in Adelaide and I commute all year opposite direction to you i think? I head south to Christies Beach from city. After asking nikobec and others on here i did purchase a couple of Castelli perfetto LS and they are great for June/July/August. I reckon it got to 2 or 3 degrees last year. As soon as it warms a bit above 10-12 a normal jersey and arm warmers is the go for me.
We are similar sized from memory and i only wear a merino LS base layer underneath and XXL is perfect(to).
I cannot comment on other options as this works for me and I haven't touched my gillet or rain jacket since i bought them and I only got the jerseys out last week for this season.
I did buy a Lusso branded copy as well but it just does not fit as well and is a teeny bit flappy in the breeze though technically same same.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu May 24, 2018 12:25 pm

caneye wrote: if you fold it tightly, you can transport shirts and pants with minimal creases.
+1 Mine go in the laptop bag - happens to be "just right" size wise.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri May 25, 2018 11:41 am

Cheers boyracer - may still have another look, but one question.

For me, I find the 'cold' is an issue more than the rain. I can stomach the cold mornings.

I wonder whether its a psychological issue or it's actually part of it getting brighter and warmer, whereas in the evening, even though the temp may be higher, riding at night seems to be more of an issue (getting colder and feeling it) - whether it's the dropping temp, increasing humidity or darkness ??

So the question for me, is, are the Perfetto jerseys good at keeping the cold out as well ?

Edit: the prices have gone way back up so it’s wven less of an option now. Oh well, time to toughen up !!

boyracer

Postby boyracer » Sat May 26, 2018 9:58 pm

MichaelB wrote:Cheers boyracer - may still have another look, but one question.

For me, I find the 'cold' is an issue more than the rain. I can stomach the cold mornings.

I wonder whether its a psychological issue or it's actually part of it getting brighter and warmer, whereas in the evening, even though the temp may be higher, riding at night seems to be more of an issue (getting colder and feeling it) - whether it's the dropping temp, increasing humidity or darkness ??

So the question for me, is, are the Perfetto jerseys good at keeping the cold out as well ?

Edit: the prices have gone way back up so it’s wven less of an option now. Oh well, time to toughen up !!
I find i am only coldish for the first 2 kms then all good when body heat kicks in. I wear a thin merino base under perfetto even at 3 degrees by my outside thermometer when i leave at 6.45AM. I do the odd Lofty run and love to spin out my 55 down Greenhill on way home in same set up.