Waxed Cotton

Monti

Waxed Cotton

Postby Monti » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:07 pm

Hello to all.
I’m new on this forum and still need to do a profile post so please excuse my tardiness on that.
Was wondering if there are any experienced commuters out there in Melbourne (I stipulate that as it’s kind of a climate based question) who have tried or are using a waxed cotton coat as rainwear.
I’m interested in giving it a go over synthetics purely because I’ve done synthetics which are expensive for a decent quality jacket and they don’t really light me up for cycling.
Having said that this is my first serious stint at commuting with a bike properly set up for the purpose as opposed to a no racks, race tuck road bike or carbon hard tail with similar tuck position
so I can’t boast to being an experienced user of Gore Tex as a commuter.
I’d like to give the cotton a burl though so if anybody has done already I’d appreciate your input.
Cheers to everyone.
Monti.

Cheesewheel

Re: Waxed Cotton

Postby Cheesewheel » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:24 pm

I am don't have too much direct experience with victorian weather, but I have used a few carradice products, namely their cotton rack bag and poncho. The problem with cotton is that it is more susceptible to mildew than synthetics. Its not enough to merely dry them out. They have to be stored in an aired out environment. Both of my carradice cotton products went mouldy (the rack bag, which copped a ton more use, particularly). As far as rainwear goes, the tendency is to roll it up at the bottom of ones bag until its required. This dark, clammy storage space is the perfect place for mould and mildew.
Go!Run!GAH!

Monti

Postby Monti » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:39 pm

Cheesewheel wrote:I am don't have too much direct experience with victorian weather, but I have used a few carradice products, namely their cotton rack bag and poncho. The problem with cotton is that it is more susceptible to mildew than synthetics. Its not enough to merely dry them out. They have to be stored in an aired out environment. Both of my carradice cotton products went mouldy (the rack bag, which copped a ton more use, particularly). As far as rainwear goes, the tendency is to roll it up at the bottom of ones bag until its required. This dark, clammy storage space is the perfect place for mould and mildew.
Mould!
I’d not thought of that.
Thanks for the advice.
I’m lucky in that my workplace has plenty of warmspots for drying post ride but had you not have warned me I’d have found out the hard way I reckon.
Cheers.

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:19 am

Btw I don't know if you are thinking of the poncho for rainwear, on the plus side it is easy to put on or off (nothing worse than spending 10 mins kitting out in rain gear and then the sun comes out the moment your bum touches the bike seat .... or vice versa) and it also doesn't generate a mini atmosphere of humidity like a general rain jacket does. On the neg, it tends to flare up like the sail of a boat if you doing a serious descent or the winds pick up. I have mirrors on my bike and when you pick up a bit of speed it tends to obscure my view of the bar end mirrord
Go!Run!GAH!

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:25 pm

I used to use waxed cotton back when my bikes had motors.

It works well enough but it has a tendency to leave dirty marks if you rub up against things.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Usernoname

Postby Usernoname » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:35 am

Not in Melbourne, but I have a light gortex raincoat that seems to work well with vents under the arms. I also have a Japara cotton fabric is a natural product which is made of quality cotton impregnated with a paraffin-based wax, and it is then finely woven into a very durable cloth with a thick texture plus a silky feel and look. It is also found to be less susceptible to liquids and other staining elements rainjacket that i also coated in dubbin when new. I bought it for a rafting trip down the Franklin (1983ish), used a sailing jacket for a few years occasional bush walking trips and is now hanging in the garage for wet morning dog walks 34 years later. A bit bulkly and stiff but durable - hell yeah.
Aus motorists are safe to kill a cyclist at any time & confident that they will be protected from any serious penalties.

zebee

Postby zebee » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:46 pm

My motorcycling experience is that a good waxed cotton jacket is waterproof for a while. Eventually you have to re-wax it and you can never get it as good again.

Wixxy

Postby Wixxy » Sun May 27, 2018 5:32 pm

I own a Ventile cotton jacket, am not sure if you can still get them, but they don't need as much reproofing like waxed one's. First used in the WW's by service personnel I believe.
Last edited by Wixxy on Sun May 27, 2018 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wixxy

Postby Wixxy » Sun May 27, 2018 5:33 pm

ventile-clothing.co.uk/