triathlons for amateur ( and older age ) level?

JAMSIE

triathlons for amateur ( and older age ) level?

Postby JAMSIE » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:38 am

hi all, i am currently in ireland where there is a great tri scene - all ages and levels with a couple of tris a month during the summer/ autumn.
obviously the fittest young guys win but there is plenty of room for the older less speedy age grouper gentleman such as myself!
the UK has a similar scene too.
moving back to oz soon has me wondering is there a similar vibe back there?
from what i see on my quick search it seems a little more club and perhaps elite athlete based but i am hoping to find a few amateur friendly events!
actually the sri chinmoy event in canberra seems to be along the lines i mean.
anybody got any ideas ?
btw , i will be sydney based.
cheers all.

Sweeper59

Re: triathlons for amateur ( and older age ) level?

Postby Sweeper59 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:13 am

Jamsie, I'm 50, and compete in a couple of triathlons a year. I'm certainly not an elite athlete, and I'm not a member of any triathlon club. However, I've had no problems getting a start in any events I've entered, and I've been happy with my performances, considering my lack of swimming ability.
I've also competed as part of a team in a number of events, including a 'Half Ironman' event, where I finished well behind the professionals, but ahead of plenty of others.
I've love the atmosphere of triathlons, and I'll keep competing until I feel I'm not competitive.
I don't know about the Canberra scene, but there's enough events on NSW mid north coast to satisfy amateurs like me, without having to travel too far.
Giant TCR 0
Nobody looks back on their life....and remembers the nights they got plenty of sleep !!

tripstobaltimore

Postby tripstobaltimore » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:43 pm

yes, very much so. In most races the AGer's or more catered for than the pro's!

JAMSIE

Postby JAMSIE » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:49 am

thanks all, seems like a good scene does exist , great!