Open triathlon training blog

leighthebee

Re: Open triathlon training blog

Postby leighthebee » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:03 am

Just some lazy (still puffing though) hill reps up Mt Gravatt this morning. Have changed from a compact group to standard and lost my hill cog so its going to be a little bit of relearning on them hills for the legs. Also descending is a little off putting as I've got new wheels also and I'm still finding the new grip levels with the lighter front wheel feeling a LOT different.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/129122178

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:52 pm

So, here's my training plan for my next event, which is the Kingscliff triathlon, in 13 weeks' time. In these 13 weeks, I would ideally do 6 sessions per week, but realistically, 4 to 5 sessions per week will be a stretch. I will therefore aim for 65 sessions (round up to 66 sessions) which is 22 sessions per discipline. This will be split 50/50 between threshold and interval sessions (which is a bit of a change for me, up to now I have mostly done threshold / endurance sessions.

I will be monitoring progress on a chart at home, and will also try to do updates here in the training blog. I will also aim to monitor diet each day (aiming for 5 or more days per week of regular balanced intake, without alcohol or excess high fat / sugar foods), and monitor weight, waist and hip circumference every few weeks.

Swimming intervals / quality set x11 (as per Swim Smooth website) http://www.swimsmooth.com/training.html
As I swim 7:30 or slower for 400m (targetting CSS):
6x200m with 20sec recovery or
3x400m with 45sec recovery or
4x(200m then 100m) with 10sec recovery or
12x100m with 10sec recovery

Swimming endurance set x11
1500m to 2000m

Each swimming set will ideally have 50m slow warm up and warm down, practicing sighting.

Cycling intervals / quality set x11 (as per advice on ACF website)
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=23948
2 x 20min intervals or
Hill repeats (Mt Gravatt or Mt Cootha, up to 40min of climbing)

Cycling endurance set x11
30km to 50km (including brick sessions)

Running intervals (as per parts of Runners' World May/June 2010 article "10 weeks to your first [or fastest] 10K")
Running interval sets x11
- 5 to 6 x 1K repeats at 5K race pace with 90 sec easy run recovery or
- 4 to 5 x 1500m repeats at 10K race pace with 2min easy run recovery or
- 2 x 2K at 10K pace with 3 min easy run recovery plus 2 x 1K at 5K pace with 90sec easy running recovery plus 2 x 500m at 3K pace with 60sec easy run recovery

Running threshold / endurance set x 11
- 30min to 75min (including brick sessions)

Comments or criticism welcome.

Today I did 30km on the bike in approx 61min, then 15min rest, followed by 5.5km run in 28min (sort of a brick, but was feeling pretty sluggish).
New tar seal in front of my wheel

leighthebee

Postby leighthebee » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:57 pm

SeditionTrial wrote: Swimming intervals / quality set x11 (as per Swim Smooth website) http://www.swimsmooth.com/training.html
As I swim 7:30 or slower for 400m (targetting CSS):
6x200m with 20sec recovery or
3x400m with 45sec recovery or
4x(200m then 100m) with 10sec recovery or
12x100m with 10sec recovery

Swimming endurance set x11
1500m to 2000m

Each swimming set will ideally have 50m slow warm up and warm down, practicing sighting.
Its not enough. Sure you'll improve, but I'd be doing a LOT more than that. You need to see the swimming as an invesment in not only better race time, but better for all three disciplines. It will massively improve your aerobic fitness and also help with the muscle recovery from both running and cycling. It needs to be done a minimum of three times a week.

This was my squad this morning:

Warmup:
900m swim (breathing every 2 then 3 then 4 then 5 strokes)
900m fins kick (100m solid then 50m fast recurring)

Set 1:
4 x 300m (150m solid, 150m strong) on 5 minutes
12 x 50m (25 lateral kicking, 25 distance per stroke) on 60 sec.

Set 2:
9 x 100m (50 solid, 50 strong) on 1.40 sec.
12 x 50m (25 fast, 25 easy) on 60 sec.

When I first started back in squad, I was lucky to get past 1000m in the first couple of sessions. Probably took about 3 months of Mon/Wed/Fri squad to get through a whole session like the above. Twelve months on, I can push that whole session and get decent recovery in between. The 300m set I was doing about 4.30's and the 100m set was doing about 1.25's. And I am by no means fast. I just do it consistently.....

Now I just need to transfer this fitness to my running shoes.....I'd kill for that sub 50 you ran this year at Noosa for my run time....... :D

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:21 pm

@LTB: yes, I agree, sometimes more is more. Unfortunately I struggle to get to the pool twice per week, so planning to get there three times a week is probably setting myself up to fail. And I could set out to do large sets when I do go (eg >2km) but again, I just don't think it will happen. So... baby steps. :)

leighthebee

Postby leighthebee » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:19 pm

SeditionTrial wrote:but again, I just don't think it will happen. So... baby steps. :)
Well you did say critique / comment :D

Seriously, we're mostly weekend warriors anyway. Got to keep it enjoyable. If it stops being fun, I will stop also. My competitive days are well and truly over. Now its just personal satisfaction. :wink:

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:42 pm

@LTB: Weekend warriors rule. I agree with your criticism that I will not really improve my swimming without a more concentrated effort. Unfortunately that's all the time I can put into it at the moment without getting a divorce, so I guess I'm stuck.

Day 3 of week 1 of my Glorious 13 Week Plan has consisted of:
1 interval swim set.
Did 400m - 200m to determine my current CSS, and it came in at a heroically hydrodynamic 2min 15sec per 100m. I then did 3 further 200m sets on 4min 30sec with 1min pauses to round out the interval set. The best thing that can be said of this is that there is a lot of room for improvement.

First weigh in this evening on my quite flattering bathroom scales gave 82kg as a starting point. So far have not blown my rather gentle diet plan either.

Wrist tendonitis is an ongoing concern: it may have a bit to do with repetitive work strain and lugging an increasingly heavy toddler around. Or perhaps it's the swimming and cycling. As always (especially where work and family are concerned), running is the answer! Onwards and upwards.

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:38 pm

I'm doing the interval thing with swimming now too. It let's me train more.
Ive set up a 3 min beep, doing 100m sets, alternating between pull buoy,hand paddles and nekkid. When my foot heals, I'll add flipper kick board as well. I run about 2.05 - 2.15, depending. Hand paddles are slowest, pull buoy is fastest. Naked is about the same as pull buoy.
The minute rest allows my HR and breathing to settle.
You have officially become your parents.

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:09 pm

Day 8 of training:
Have completed 4 sessions thus far (so 1 in the red according to plan of 5 per week).
Since last post:
Sat am swim: 50m pool, 1500m endurance set, 36min flat. LTB was right, more swimming more often is required.
Sat am bike: (sort of) 2 x 20min interval: actually was 2 x 16min10sec interval: 8.5km each, for an average pace of about 32kph.
Tues am run: 9km, steady pace, gradually building HR (avg HR 158, max 178), completed in 44min, a whisker faster than 5min per km
Weigh in 82.5kg.

@LTB: I just checked your Mt Gravatt loop data from the other day... 3 times up and down, avg about 12 min per uphill if I am reading the data right?

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:11 am

Starting to see gains from the interval training in the pool. Bugger !! Means I'll have to keep doing it.

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:27 pm

Pre-christmas is not my favourite time of year: working for the man, loads of extra social events all competing for limited free time, plus trying to fit in a relaxed and flexible OD triathlon training schedule. :/

Since last post...
wed night swim: 400m, 200m, 100m x 6 intervals, on 2min7sec, with approx 50sec rest periods (ok I know this is soft but I still felt puffed afterwards and it seemed to get my HR to the appropriate zone). Was in a 50m pool but they had it set up as 2 x 25m pools with that giant float divider in the middle. (1200m total, not 4200m, in case you were wondering).

fri night swim: 1300m "long" swim: total time 29min 45sec ; approx 2min 17sec per 100m (50m pool). Would have stayed for that last 200m, but they were closing up!

tomorrow morning: brickfast of champions: will aim for running intervals and a long (for me) bike.

Glorious 13 Week Plan progress:
2/11 interval swim -- 1/11 endurance swim -- 0/11 interval run -- 1/11 endurance run -- 1/11 interval bike -- 1/11 endurance bike -- 81kg

Christina Brinkmann

Postby Christina Brinkmann » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:17 pm

Hello,
I admit I have not read any previous posts in this thread, but I intend to. I start my ‘serious’ training tomorrow :? for three SE QLD triathlons in 2012, Bribie in Feb, Mooloolaba in March and Noosa in October. I have the swim pretty well sorted, and have done some run legs in previous Tri’s, but have not done a ride. I hope to use this thread for reciprocal motivation and information sharing.

leighthebee

Postby leighthebee » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:08 pm

SeditionTrial wrote:Day 8 of training:
@LTB: I just checked your Mt Gravatt loop data from the other day... 3 times up and down, avg about 12 min per uphill if I am reading the data right?
Sounds about right. I haven't had a particular plan for cycling since Noosa, so mostly its been about just turning the legs over 'til I set a new goal (short of Noosa next year)

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:00 pm

55km on the bike, followed by 6 km run yesterday.
Felt wea as a baby the whole rime. Sad............

leighthebee

Postby leighthebee » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:54 pm

Sqaud: 4.7k

Timed 25M free 13.2 sec. Just can't break into the 12's.....

KD1988

Postby KD1988 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:23 pm

Just did the Canberra 70.3 OUCH!!!!!!!!!! I am struggling to walk today :)

5:23.02 - 34.50, 2:46.50, 1:56.09.

Was a good event that was well organised although it was a long run from swim into T1. Actually only took 32.30 for the swim...

My hat goes off to everyone who has ever done an Ironman... that must be EPIC!!!! I hope to join the ironman club one day, but 70.3 is enough pain for me at the moment!!!

leighthebee

Postby leighthebee » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:29 pm

Nice KD. Half iron is beyond most of us mere mortals I would think.

Running intervals today.

1k race, 1k recovery, 800m race, 800m recovery so on down to 200m intervals.

Was much easier than doing it the other way around a couple of weeks back....... :oops:

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:06 am

No posts here for a week. Haven't we all been lazy. I've done one ride, one swim session, 1 km, and one PT session, that's about it,
Had to leave my bike at the coast to get new gruppo fitted, so no cycling for me.
I'll call this one a recovery week. Have to get back into it next week.

KD1988

Postby KD1988 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:42 am

Mon: 2.5km swim set, 10x400m + 10 sec sprints (run), 3km ride - got 1km down the road before it started pooring (the gutters filled up and the water was pushed halfway into the first lane within a minute, that's when I decided to go home because I don't trust Sydney drivers :)
Tue: Easy 1.5km swim set, 47km hills circuit with strength, power work (bike)
Wed: 7km tempo run, 2x22km rides into and out of city.
Thu: We shall see, but definitely a swim as I missed it yesterday :(

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:12 am

People, what are you all doing ?
I have been getting some stroke correction at last from a whippet of a lass who is in Olympic selection trials for London. Lots of hard work, which is starting to pay off. I feel like I am swimming like a turtle, but moving through the water much better, and feel I am making progress. Need to do more strength work. That just fell off in the last couple of months of last year, and that was a mistake.
Cyclng has been quiet, with too much work and not enough time, and running seems to be all about injury at present. Never mind, it will all come together one day.

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:04 pm

100 km cycle on Sunday in stinking heat, 30 km tody, feel strong on the bike at last.
Have been swimming every day, working on my stroke, not doing big distances, but focussing on quality stroke.
Have my catch/pull sorted, and have stopped yawing from side to side. Graduated to kick lessons today, which some might say is a mixed blessing, but that's putting it nicely. It nearly kills me and I feel every day of my age and then some.
Far out, I either need to spend a LOT of time on a kick board, or quit swimming altogether.

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:35 pm

70 km bike today, at a respectable pace.
2 km swim this afternoon,divided between, kick pard and 100 m intervals.
Best 100m was 1:48, a big improvement from 2:05, which was previous best. Modest times, I know, but nit having ever done the swimming squad thing means I am starting at the bottom.

mark field

Postby mark field » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:27 pm

i turned 40 Aug 2011, entered my first ocean swim (2011 cole classic 2k) and several other run events, so if i swim, cycle and run...then me thinks its time to enter a triathlon. im a compitent swimmer of 2 years, good runner of 10 years, ok bike rider for about i year, so i know my times overall wont be all that impressive and ill choke big time, but im going to do it. One work mate said "why bother if you cant win, get over your mid-life chrisis with dignity" To which i replied "thats what im doing" i cant wait for my first event, even if i finish last. i would rather finish last than take the advice of an overweight 50+ co-worker who always gloats about "how well he did walking up the road to work from his place" :roll:
steel is the real deal.

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:30 pm

Onya Mark.
There is lot of dignity and style in being fit and completing triathlon and other events, rather than getting fat and sick.
I did a home-baked half iron, or nearly today.
90 km cycle, 1400 m swim, 20 km run/walkover 8 hrs or so. Not bad for near 48.
Swimming is still my weak point, but slowly getting better. I've had stroke correction, just need to get stronger and fitter.
My eventual goal is a full iron, but I'm a long way off that. Today was really a test day, to see what I can do.

TrekStar

Postby TrekStar » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:34 am

Ken Ho wrote:I feel like I am swimming like a turtle,

Turtles swim pretty fast and gracefully no? I'd settle for swimming like a turtle compared to what I do now :P

SeditionTrial

Postby SeditionTrial » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:12 pm

So, I have been very quiet on this forum for a while.

Thought I better post back to share my Kingscliff triathlon report.

I was in the 8:15am wave start (daylight savings time). Swim was blisteringly fast for all competitors, due to a strong outgoing tide in the Cudgen Creek lagoon (and I have a sneaking feeling that the course is shorter than 1.5km, but don’t tell anyone). I was almost the last out the water for my age group, in about 27minutes (my previous open water 1.5km PB was ~37min, so that gives you an idea of the tide assistance).

Got onto the bike for four laps of a 10km circuit. The course is almost dead flat and seemed quite fast. I was tracking well to do another PB when I got a front tyre puncture at 35km (had been averaging 32kph up to that point). Apparently a disgruntled local had put pop-rivets into the road near the turn-around point, so throughout the day there were a few people wearing frowns and reaching for spares if they had them. I had a spare tube and levers, but didn’t have a CO2 cannister or my portable pump (first time in four OD starts I neglected to take the pump along, and for the first time I needed it). So after waiting around for about 15min to see if I could borrow a pump, I gave up and got a lift back to transition on the back of a ute. I walked my bike back through T2, and ran back out onto the course. All up I think the flat cost me about 20 minutes, and I was finished the bike leg in 1hr and 40min, so I think I might have gone close to a PB for the bike too. 

Run had a little hill on the outbound part of the circuit (2 laps of a 5km route) and the sun was blazing. There was plenty of water available, and nice seaside views were a partial compensation. A suggestion for QSM, the race organisers: make sure there is a wheelie bin at the edge of each water station for people to chuck their empty cups. There were several hundred on the road around each water station. Got home in a smidgeon over 50min (20sec over I think), so missed out on a sub-50min time, despite having had an enforced break between bike and run. Total time was recorded at a whisker under 3 hours, and barring the flat tyre, I am pretty confident I would have made it home in under 2hr 40min. This would be on paper a PB, but when you take into account the strong tidal assistance, it puts my estimated time back to approx 2:50, which is around what I have done in the past at Noosa.

We stayed for a long weekend at a little apartment just off Marine Pde (which is the main strip next to the beach), and this was perfect – 300m from transition, 200m from registration, and a bit over a kilometre to the swim start. As a venue for a race, I really think Kingscliff is excellent. Small enough to be friendly, large enough to have a good range of places to eat, good accommodation, and interesting scenery. The Kingscliff beach suffered serious erosion a bit over a year ago, but is slowly recovering, and there are bits which are suitable for swimming or a stroll.

Hopefully they can make sure the bike course isn’t sabotaged next time, because that was really the main detraction. If that was an ongoing problem, I would think twice about a return visit. As it is, I would happily recommend this race to anyone, especially considering it is less than half the price of an entry to Noosa or Mooloolaba.

Regarding my training and preparation: I managed to complete probably about 70% of my training sessions, so I wasn’t expecting great things: just treated the race as a hard training session. The weight loss didn’t happen, probably because I didn’t modify my intake of beer / treats sufficiently.

Next events I’m considering are the Caloundra open water swim (“Kings of the Coast” 28-29 April), as well as the Brisbane Twilight Half Marathon (can’t remember the exact date). I’ve also got my Noosa 2012 entry, and an apartment at the beach for a week in November, so I’ll have to re-institute some training before that. I am actually planning to cut back on my training a bit for a couple of weeks, so that I can do more around the house and garden, and spend a bit more time with my lady and our baby, before the next one comes along in June.

How about everyone else? Still training hard? Any news?