Trying to get started

stingstang

Trying to get started

Postby stingstang » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:27 pm

Hi team, been on the site for ages but this is my first post. Thanks to everyone out there who gives such good advice.

I have always been fascinated with Triathlons and the fitness requirement to do such a event.

Im very unfit at the moment but am getting back on the bike so to speak. Swimming and cycling have never been a problem for me but im running is something i dread. im also completely new to organized events and such.

Just suck on a few things.

1. With all my searching i cant find any Triathlons in the next 6 months (im in Perth btw). Where could i get a listing or more info from?
2. due to my lack of fitness im looking to start small. but i would hate to do all the effort to do too small a event. Anyone got any experiences with the smaller events? rough lengths etc?

Thanks in advance! :P

cp123

Re: Trying to get started

Postby cp123 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:20 pm

try googling triathlon clubs in perth and asking them.

Over here novice races in the summer are 2/10/2 or 4/16/4 up to sprint distances of 5/20/5. Then all the other tradition distances after that.

rovill

Postby rovill » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:17 pm

Hey!

There is no shame in doing shorter races, and you wont be wasting your time by doing one. When i first started tri's i entered a series of 'super sprint' races, that was a 350-10-3. It was perfect for starting out. If you haven't done one before then a shorter one would be best to start off with, it doesn't need to be the highlight of your season.

As to where to find races, try a website called 'beginnertriathlete' or find a local tri club and ask when some races are.

Evo6point5

Postby Evo6point5 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:26 pm

Hi mate,

There's Mandurah 70.3 in October (registration opens next Tuesday at 9am Perth time)

http://www.usmevents.com.au/Triathlon__ ... Mode=Print

Then a series starts around november - march with 5 sprints (1 olympic).. google telstra tri series

http://triserieswa.com.au/

Albany Half is on January 5.

http://www.albanyhalf.com.au/

my first tri was a half so no need to necessarily start with a sprint

Good luck!

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:18 am

MY first tri was a 70.3 too, in Cairns this year. It was my first organised event in 20 years, but apart from forgetting my timing strap, I managed to negotiate it all.
My run was more of a stumble. The good thing about long course, is that completion is a goal in itself, and so long as you do a decent time in the cycle, you have tons of time to finish the run. Lots of walking, and I was not the only one. I would look silly doing sprints.
I could not swim at all six months before the event, and I had no dramas, and if you are a solid swimmer already, you are sweet.

I'm probably going to do Yeppoon 70.3 in August too, though the entries fees for Ironman events are not cheap, and the entries for Im Cairns open the day Yeppoon closes, so that will be a grand down on one day if I enter both. Ouch !!
You have officially become your parents.

deadcat

Postby deadcat » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:38 am

entry fees, especially for IM and HIM races are pretty steep, BUT you are buying more for your money than a marathon say.. more infrastructure etc. The WTC (owners of the Ironman brand) sanctioned events can seem a bit mercenary.

fab at forty

Postby fab at forty » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:33 pm

yep - first tri for next season is pretty much the Mandurah HIM.

maybe get a team together and enter if you don't want to do the whole thing but want to see what its like?

I'll be doing it - think its going to be awesome.

Otherwise, join a tri club and you'll soon get sucked in....

good luck!

Roxsta99

Postby Roxsta99 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:29 am

Hey, keep checking the Trievents website as they should be posting the new Calender for the WA 2012/13 season.
They run the Telstra tri series and have a Enticer division for newbies testing their levels and then the Pursuit races for more competitive and confident athlete. Races normally kick off around mid Dec. good luck with your training..

drcolossus1

Postby drcolossus1 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:38 pm

I don't want to hijack the thread but what is the go with beginners and finishing times. I want to do my first Tri later in the year (XO Tri Series in Melbourne) and it is supposed to be a perfect beginners race, but I've looked at the results/times from previous years and they are damn fast for my age group. Sure, I can run a 24 min 5k but not after a swim and bike. I know I'm not crazy fit but for a beginner I thought there would be more BEGINNERS!! It kinda makes me not want to sign up of I'm going to finish 5 minutes behind everyone in last place. :(

fab at forty

Postby fab at forty » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:25 pm

i think for most people the aim for their first tri (and even several after that, and definitely any time you step up a distance) is just to finish.

I wouldn't worry at all about being slow, you're still going to be faster than the 99.9% of the population sitting on their couch at home.

Were you looking at the fastest times or the slowest times?

Just get out there and do it - on race day you'll be so high on the atmosphere you'll be sprinting over the line and you won't care how long it took you.

Alternatively, do your first tri in a team if you can, then you can get an idea of what its all about before you commit to doing it by yoursef.

the main thing is just get out and do it - you definitely won't regret it!

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:38 pm

I completed my first 2 tri's last summer (XOCise and Gatorade) sprint distance and completed both in and around the 90 minutes

I found the swim a lit tougher than I thought it would be (get a wetsuit if your in Melbourne) and found they really hammered me. My strongest leg was the ride and found that I made up some ground. The run was tough as you have used a heap of energy and your legs feel funny after the ride.

I am in the Clydesdale class and I wasnt as fit as I wanted to be so both events were a struggle, but in the end I completed them, so achievement number 1 and I wasnt last in either my class or overall, achievement number 2 :D

I would say if you can swim 2 km in a pool or 500m in open water, can cycle 50km and run 10km individually you can complete a sprint event (500m swim - 20km ride - 5km run)

Triathlons are not easy but why do it if it was and by finishing you are already a mile ahead of 99% of the population who couldn't do them 8)
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

lucky7

Postby lucky7 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:53 pm

drcolossus1 wrote:I don't want to hijack the thread but what is the go with beginners and finishing times. I want to do my first Tri later in the year (XO Tri Series in Melbourne) and it is supposed to be a perfect beginners race, but I've looked at the results/times from previous years and they are damn fast for my age group. Sure, I can run a 24 min 5k but not after a swim and bike. I know I'm not crazy fit but for a beginner I thought there would be more BEGINNERS!! It kinda makes me not want to sign up of I'm going to finish 5 minutes behind everyone in last place. :(
Have a look at the shorter distances ones run as part of the Gatorade Series - will be something like a 300m/10km/3km (S-B-R) - the 5km run you mention are usually the sprint distance races, which don't tend to get as many new triathletes.

drcolossus1

Postby drcolossus1 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:42 am

Thanks for all the replys. Haven't totally decided yet but may try the shorter distance race first and work up from there.

benk

Postby benk » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:33 pm

drcolossus1 I am int he same boat as you. A mate and I decided to commit to the melb tri series and are currently debating which to go fo. I think we may end up doing the mini this year and sprint next year as suggested above. The mini does seem to be a little short in many ways but I dont know if i will be saying that after doing it. We shall see!

eveready2

Postby eveready2 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:48 pm

In the fear of sounding like a fool, what do you wear? I was thinking about doing my first in a couple of weeks.
Just keep pushing Pusscake!

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:52 pm

eveready2 wrote:In the fear of sounding like a fool, what do you wear? I was thinking about doing my first in a couple of weeks.
Whatever you like!! :)

Some people just wear shorts/tshirt for their first tri as there's no point spending money on clothing if you don't like it. You can buy tri shorts which have a thinner chamois enabling them to be worn in the swim and run too. Personally I'm going to wear long compression pants and "tri" tank. If people race in budgies, I doubt you'd look weird in anything!! (note: I don't recommend subjecting the spectators to racing in budgies :shock: ).

george-bob

Postby george-bob » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:50 am

the only rule (for most tris) is you MUST have a covered chest for the ride and run. i picked up a 2xu compression tri suit on clearance for $30, it is incredibly comfortable to swim ride and run in. the first race i wore it to i was embarrassed until i got there and saw EVERYONE was in skin tight tri suits

cubepeloton

Postby cubepeloton » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:00 am

Sorry to necro post (better than creating a similar thread)

How many of you join a Tri club in your area? Is it worth it? I'm like an absolute beginner and would probably do those mini-series for a start. Are most tri clubs meant for super serious and competitive types?
2012 Cube Peloton Race

nescius

Postby nescius » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:10 am

cubepeloton wrote:Sorry to necro post (better than creating a similar thread)

How many of you join a Tri club in your area? Is it worth it? I'm like an absolute beginner and would probably do those mini-series for a start. Are most tri clubs meant for super serious and competitive types?
If you want to be involved in just about any sort of competetive sport and are a beginner I would highly recommend joining a club. There are usually a wide range of athletes, some serious and some not so serious, you will usually find people who are your pace that you can train with. Training with a club is a great motivator and much easier than training solo, definitely great for when you are just starting. There are also usually plenty of experienced competitors around who will show you the ropes and will happily answer your questions without making you feel silly for asking them. So yes, it is worth joining a club, especially for an absolute beginner.
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

cubepeloton

Postby cubepeloton » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:23 am

nescius wrote:If you want to be involved in just about any sort of competetive sport and are a beginner I would highly recommend joining a club. There are usually a wide range of athletes, some serious and some not so serious, you will usually find people who are your pace that you can train with. Training with a club is a great motivator and much easier than training solo, definitely great for when you are just starting. There are also usually plenty of experienced competitors around who will show you the ropes and will happily answer your questions without making you feel silly for asking them. So yes, it is worth joining a club, especially for an absolute beginner.
Thanks for your inputs. Definitely with you on having club mates as a great motivator and for asking questions. I think there is also the social aspect of it. Only thing is that it can be quite costly with membership fees, coach fees for each session etc. Might be worth for me to pop in and find out more/get a sense of the people there before committing.
2012 Cube Peloton Race