Which cassette for IM Port Macquarie

ferced

Which cassette for IM Port Macquarie

Postby ferced » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:45 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and registered for IM PM in May this year.
Just wondering if anyone has raced this event before and preferably the "new" bike course (as I understand it used to be 3 X 60km laps)?
I am currently training with a 11x23 cassette and doing OK but I'm training mostly on flat terrains with a few rolling hills. Unfortunately, I won't be able to go and ride the course before the race so I'm not sure what to expect. I have raced IM Lake Placid and Mont-Tremblant before, which were definitely not uphill races but still have a few short steep hills along the way. I am wondering if a 12x25 would suit better? Any other advice? I expect to complete the bike leg in around 5h30-45 (in case that helps you answering me).

Cheers!

Parker

Re: Which cassette for IM Port Macquarie

Postby Parker » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:45 pm

Have you checked the elevation profile? Normally you can find one on Map My Ride, or now that strava exists then you would find it on Strava pretty easily....

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:56 pm

I'd go the 12-25. From what Im told its a slow course due to the undulations, wind and dead road surface. A couple of short sharp pinches may need the 25. I don't imagine you be in the 11 at all.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:38 pm

Derny Driver wrote:I'd go the 12-25. From what Im told its a slow course due to the undulations, wind and dead road surface. A couple of short sharp pinches may need the 25. I don't imagine you be in the 11 at all.
Undulations, wind and dead road surface sum it up perfectly - I rode to Laurieton (even slower than normal) in January - maximum grade is 10%, highest elevation is 60m & most of the route is coarse blue metal.

Southbound at Bonny Hills didn't look that bad but it ground me down. Haven't ridden the loop round Dunbogan but it looks pancake flat. Only word of advice is don't let your supporters stop for a coffee at the Sandbar Café in Laurieton.
It doesn't get easier, you just get slower