Which of these bikes is more suitable

filippimini

Which of these bikes is more suitable

Postby filippimini » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:59 pm

Hi all,

I'm aiming to complete an enticer triathlon in a couple of weeks. I have two bikes to choose from, but neither of them are close to ideal but for this length I don't really care. Just interested to see what people think is the better option.

1. 2011 Trek FX 7.2 Hybrid Fitness Bike http://archive.trekbikes.com/au/en/2011 ... fx/details" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2. 2014 Trek X-Caliber 8 Cross Country Mountain Bike http://archive.trekbikes.com/au/en/2014 ... _8/details" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Both bikes are in good working condition and I ride them both fairly regularly. In the lead up to the race, I'd like to just ride the bike that I'll compete with, but I can't decide which is the better bike and why?

Any advice would be great.
Cheers
Ryan

Dez

Re: Which of these bikes is more suitable

Postby Dez » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:54 pm

Hi Ryan,

Definitely the hybrid. Your biggest issue will be rolling resistance from the tyres. The knobbly tyres on the MTB will be very slow, also the weight of the suspension fork won't help when accelerating.

Tight fitting clothing will help keep you out of the wind. Make sure your tyres are pumped up and that everything is running smoothly.

Hope that helps.

Oh, and remember that the bike leg is just a way to get from the swim to the run :)

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:52 pm

Yeah the hybrid is preferable but you will be sitting upright and your body will be like a sail ...slowing you down.
Why not borrow a race bike off someone for the day? Or hire one?

filippimini

Postby filippimini » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:06 pm

Thanks for the responses guys,

I rode the Hybrid today and definitely feel faster.
Derny Driver wrote:Yeah the hybrid is preferable but you will be sitting upright and your body will be like a sail ...slowing you down.
Why not borrow a race bike off someone for the day? Or hire one?
I'd rather not hire as it's an added cost. Borrowing might be an option but I wouldn't be able to train on it. For such a short ride happy to stick to my own bikes.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:01 pm

Flip the stem downwards, and put it to its lowest position under the spacers, and you should be able to get your head down out of the wind a bit.

Then make sure it's in optimum running order:
Pump the tyres up good and hard to minimise rolling resistance.
Clean and oil the chain.
Make sure the brakes aren't dragging, and the gears are aligned for maximum efficiency.
If you have a friend with the tools, adjust the hub bearings correctly (usually they're overtightened from the factory)

filippimini

Postby filippimini » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:44 pm

Thanks mate,

I'll have a play with the stem, however I've got a feeling I've already put it in its lowest position. Worth checking though.
Ryan

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:28 pm

Tyre rolling resistance and tight hub bearings are the least of your worries :)

filippimini

Postby filippimini » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:13 pm

So I did the event. I chose to ride the Hybrid. I was fairly happy with it, but is certainly wasn't quick. Dropping the stem and flipping it over helped a bit.
I came 7th in the males so I was really happy with that. Now I need to find a proper bike and learn to swim.

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:11 pm

Good stuff! My first tri on the weekend, I was 4th out of 15 from my work, beaten by some much more experienced guys.