Pro Swim Coaches, any recommendations ?

Widget

Pro Swim Coaches, any recommendations ?

Postby Widget » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:43 pm

Hey guys,

Been swimming for last couple of years now with a squad, great group and the instructor is great also, and even though I have improved since starting,. for a while it seems I've plateaued and I can't seem to get better.

I try swim faster (increasing stroke speed) but I always feel as if my technique is sacrificed. We often do 500m Time Trials to see progression, usually every 4-6weeks.. but I don't really improve much. Currently it take me a little over 10minutes to complete 500m.. but that's a race pace.. slower if I aim for 1km+

Currently i do only go to pools 2x per week, each time for 1hr squads, though have thought about maybe getting a couple of lessons from a pro.. maybe even at a place that has those underwater cameras so they can look at technique / form etc..

Can anyone recommend someone decent within NSW ?

Thanks in advance :)

Derny Driver

Re: Pro Swim Coaches, any recommendations ?

Postby Derny Driver » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:58 am

Widget wrote:Hey guys,

Been swimming for last couple of years now with a squad, great group and the instructor is great also, and even though I have improved since starting,. for a while it seems I've plateaued and I can't seem to get better.

I try swim faster (increasing stroke speed) but I always feel as if my technique is sacrificed. We often do 500m Time Trials to see progression, usually every 4-6weeks.. but I don't really improve much. Currently it take me a little over 10minutes to complete 500m.. but that's a race pace.. slower if I aim for 1km+

Currently i do only go to pools 2x per week, each time for 1hr squads, though have thought about maybe getting a couple of lessons from a pro.. maybe even at a place that has those underwater cameras so they can look at technique / form etc..

Can anyone recommend someone decent within NSW ?

Thanks in advance :)
10 minute 500s are not too bad considering you only do 2 sessions a week. I used to swim about 7 and a half -8 minutes in the pool and 21-23 mins for a 1.5 lake or ocean swim, and that was good enough to get me out of the water in the front group. I had some stroke correction but basically trained alone 3 - 4 sessions a week. This is many years ago I am talking about lol.
Stroke correction is critical and yes you need an expert eye to tell you where you can improve it. Not sure you need the underwater camera. And you need to do more swim sessions to get better breathing and fitness which equals speed.
If you are south of Sydney I can highly recommend Maroney's swim school Engadine. If you do triathlon you will have heard of Mick Maroney who despite having 5 kids, crook knees and aged late 40s still goes top 3 on a weekly basis against the best in Australia even now. He is Suzie Maroney's brother, now theres a lady who can swim okay. Mick is simply a brilliant swimmer and an insightful coach, and his assistant coaches are also excellent.

Widget

Postby Widget » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:21 am

Derny Driver wrote:
10 minute 500s are not too bad considering you only do 2 sessions a week. I used to swim about 7 and a half -8 minutes in the pool and 21-23 mins for a 1.5 lake or ocean swim, and that was good enough to get me out of the water in the front group. I had some stroke correction but basically trained alone 3 - 4 sessions a week. This is many years ago I am talking about lol.
Stroke correction is critical and yes you need an expert eye to tell you where you can improve it. Not sure you need the underwater camera. And you need to do more swim sessions to get better breathing and fitness which equals speed.
If you are south of Sydney I can highly recommend Maroney's swim school Engadine. If you do triathlon you will have heard of Mick Maroney who despite having 5 kids, crook knees and aged late 40s still goes top 3 on a weekly basis against the best in Australia even now. He is Suzie Maroney's brother, now theres a lady who can swim okay. Mick is simply a brilliant swimmer and an insightful coach, and his assistant coaches are also excellent.

Thanks Derny :). My long term goal was so do a 30min (or faster) 2km open water and/or sub 60min 4km. I've only done 2x open water swims.. once at cole classic which I did in about 40min (no wetsuit) and swimming in Husky Tri which I did it slower around 45min (with wetsuit) .. it was a bummer as I was probably one of the last out in my wave :(

I've thought about maybe doing more swimming during the week.. one thing that im not sure about it, if my technique needs correcting.. I might be wasting a lot of timer / energy. I think my breathing is getting a lot better compared to the rest of my swimming.. I try top breath either side, though find it tough to breath every 3 stroke as I always feel out of breath lol.

I live in western sydney, so would probably take close to 1hr30 to get down there.. but I'll certainly check it out, maybe go down, get some tips and apply to swimming, then go back for reviewing or somthing. Thanks for the suggestion, much appreciated :)
Last edited by Widget on Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:49 pm

Widget wrote:
... I try to breathe either side, though find it tough to breath every 3 stroke as I always feel out of breath lol.

I live in western sydney...
Mate I think bi-lateral breathing is the only way to go. You can take 2 in a row on one side and then go the third on the opposite side if you are getting puffed. Gives you a lot of options. Keep practising that. In a race, especially a wetsuit race, find a friend or even just a random person who is a good swimmer, stand behind them on the start and follow them. Just jump in their bubble stream and follow their feet. You can cut minutes off your time drafting.

I will ask Mick if he knows a good swim coach for some stroke correction out your way. I'll get back to you.

Widget

Postby Widget » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:16 am

Derny Driver wrote:
Widget wrote:I will ask Mick if he knows a good swim coach for some stroke correction out your way. I'll get back to you.
Thanks Derny :), just wondering if you had a chance to ask him ?

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:08 pm

Widget wrote:
Derny Driver wrote:
Widget wrote:I will ask Mick if he knows a good swim coach for some stroke correction out your way. I'll get back to you.
Thanks Derny :), just wondering if you had a chance to ask him ?
Sorry mate I forgot to reply.
Yes I did ask but Mick doesnt know anyone in the western suburbs.
Ive messaged another coach and am waiting for him to get back to me.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:55 am

Widget wrote:I live in western sydney, so would probably take close to 1hr30 to get down there.. but I'll certainly check it out, maybe go down, get some tips and apply to swimming, then go back for reviewing or somthing. Thanks for the suggestion, much appreciated :)
The only lot I know in Western Sydney (or out that general way) is OneBody in Castle Hill. They seem to have a fairly big triathlete presence among the ranks of their clients (or as far as I can tell). I don't have any affiliation with them and have only met Ed briefly.

http://www.onebody.com.au/about/team/
http://www.onebody.com.au/squad-session ... -sessions/

Maybe DD can find someone better though. Failing that, I know a few triathletes and could ask around, though it'll be in the new year. Aside from that, I can't really assist you any more.

Widget

Postby Widget » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:35 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Widget wrote:I live in western sydney, so would probably take close to 1hr30 to get down there.. but I'll certainly check it out, maybe go down, get some tips and apply to swimming, then go back for reviewing or somthing. Thanks for the suggestion, much appreciated :)
The only lot I know in Western Sydney (or out that general way) is OneBody in Castle Hill. They seem to have a fairly big triathlete presence among the ranks of their clients (or as far as I can tell). I don't have any affiliation with them and have only met Ed briefly.

http://www.onebody.com.au/about/team/
http://www.onebody.com.au/squad-session ... -sessions/

Maybe DD can find someone better though. Failing that, I know a few triathletes and could ask around, though it'll be in the new year. Aside from that, I can't really assist you any more.

Thanks g-boaf, ill check them out :)

vbplease

Postby vbplease » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:16 pm

Widget wrote:I try swim faster (increasing stroke speed) but I always feel as if my technique is sacrificed.
I'm far from a swimming expert but know that increasing stroke speed is not a good idea for many reasons.. losing form is one.

As an experiment try slowing your stroke rate, so number of strokes per lap decreases and see if your speed increases. :)

Not sure if you've heard of total immersion? the techniques they teach are excellent. Watch the youtube clip of "the most graceful freestyle swimming by shinji".

Widget

Postby Widget » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:33 am

vbplease wrote:As an experiment try slowing your stroke rate, so number of strokes per lap decreases and see if your speed increases. :)
We did this a few time in Squads and I usually count my strokes while swimming (become a habit now). I think iirc, my average stroke per 25m is 18-20.. can never seem to do much better than that.
vbplease wrote:Not sure if you've heard of total immersion? the techniques they teach are excellent. Watch the youtube clip of "the most graceful freestyle swimming by shinji".
Yup, I've heard of it.. its referred to as 'gliding", isn't it? slower but more effeciant? I'v read mixed reviews on Total Immersion (and that style).. some people like it, others prefer faster stroke (less glide). Ill have to have another look at the lessons.. especially the drills, see if I can improve on anything.

I saw that video, it's very similar to how I swim.. sometime single flick/kick per stroke, or 3x kick per stroke.. mainly because I can't kick for s*it.. so it's more of a jerk-type reaction.

Deus_Ex_Machina

Postby Deus_Ex_Machina » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:51 pm

My only lessons ended in grade 6 and I have swam spasmodically every few years for fitness up until 2 years ago when I started swimming more regularly. I swim generally twice a week (sometimes 3) and would average about 15 mins for 1000m pushing hard, 31-32 for 2klm, 48-49 for 3klm so I'm a reasonable swimmer and as mentioned above that will probably get you out of the water in a Tri in a fairly good place. I personally swim with a long reach and catch, pull out then in toward the body then out again in a push out the back like an S. A swimming teacher and friend of mine says I over rotate and overglide however I find this puts my lats in an advantageous position and HR under control especially on long swims. For me long powerful strokes move me along a lot faster than a fast stroke rate. BUUUUT once you hit choppy water this does go out the window a bit. This same friend who swims with a more clipped, higher stroke will tend to catch me as I struggle to keep a nice rhythm in the chop so you need to adjust. My opinion is glide more in flat, higher stroke rate in chop.

Breathing wise I breath in through mouth, hold for one stroke, then meter out through the nose the next two. You don't need to empty your lungs every time you will gas out and you are dumping your floaty airbag. Metering through the nose helps with this as it's hard to dump both lungs out your nostrils in 2 seconds against resistance.

I'm no coach but these are my experiences. If you have good body awareness tinker and feel the water, hopefully you will know when you are creating more or less drag by feel.