The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

cerb

Re: The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

Postby cerb » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:55 am

Crit season is just around the corner and with the new baby now 3mths old, I'm finally getting a chance to get back to riding (albeit only on the trainer still - haven't ridden outside since April).

Harsh realisty of a bit over 3mths almost completely off the bike: I'm up 9kg (10% increase) and FTP has dropped about 40W (10% decrease).

A lot of work ahead to get back up to speed and I think I'll probably DNF the first few races of the crit season... but I'll certainly be hanging in for dear life if I can!

Am trying to get back to some regular interval sessions on the trainer and also throwing in some Zwift races here and there. The legs are struggling right now - 100TSS per session seems to be about my limit. Any more than 300TSS per week also seems a long way off at this stage... Trying to balance a sharp rise in fitness within a limited timeframe (and without getting any injuries) is an interesting balancing act!

On the plus side... the new addition to the family is pretty chilled and fun. :)

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:01 pm

you'll be back there before long Cerb if you are able to stick at it. I had a rough first half of 2017 punctuated by a wonderful holiday but which put a hole in my training and form. I've lost 5 kg from that holiday and coming back into form. consistency and commitment pays off.

kb

Postby kb » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:56 pm

cerb wrote:Crit season is just around the corner and with the new baby now 3mths old, I'm finally getting a chance to get back to riding (albeit only on the trainer still - haven't ridden outside since April).

Harsh realisty of a bit over 3mths almost completely off the bike: I'm up 9kg (10% increase) and FTP has dropped about 40W (10% decrease).

Pretty similar to my baby related time off. Weight's coming down at around half the rate it went up :-). Power up now for short intervals but still decidedly sub-par for anything longer than 10 minutes.

On the plus side... the new addition to the family is pretty chilled and fun. :)

Fantastic. They can be a bit hard to exchange / return ;-)

march83

Postby march83 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:38 pm

cerb wrote:Crit season is just around the corner

Oh wow, the reality of this hadn't quite dawned on me...

So I'm tapping away at about 500-600 TSS a week which is leaving my legs reasonably heavy. Unfortunately it's almost exclusively road work (no trainer sessions) and the road work is almost exclusively commuting (so backpacks and baggy shorts, not super fast KOM hunting).

On the plus side, I'm reasonably light and I have managed to knock a few seconds of a few of my favourite KOMs in the last few weeks. So IDK, maybe there's something going on, maybe there isn't, but I won't know until I actually have a rest week (not likely) and I do some testing (even less likely)...

Truth be told though, I don't really need fitness at this point - I'm only really interested in getting light and going long for summer, in particular the Audax in January. Any racing I do on the way to get there is just icing on the cake...

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:35 pm

club road champs today. treating it as training. 2 hrs 15 mins at NP of ~308w. ouchies!

cerb

Postby cerb » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:23 pm

Fantastic. They can be a bit hard to exchange / return ;-)[/quote]
Haha.. too right!

jules21 wrote:club road champs today. treating it as training. 2 hrs 15 mins at NP of ~308w. ouchies!

Solid ride! No suprises to see #1 & #2 on the podium...

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:39 pm

jules21 wrote:club road champs today. treating it as training. 2 hrs 15 mins at NP of ~308w. ouchies!

Nice work - that's a decent normalised power. :)

I haven't done anything for a few days, yesterday was super tired from flying back to Australia. I did get some sleep on the flight. Might go out for a ride tomorrow.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:08 pm

cerb wrote:No suprises to see #1 & #2 on the podium...

just a solo training ride for #1 :shock:

g-boaf wrote:I haven't done anything for a few days, yesterday was super tired from flying back to Australia. I did get some sleep on the flight. Might go out for a ride tomorrow.

nice one g-boaf. give yourself an opportunity to recover from jetlag before hitting it too hard

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:04 pm

jules21 wrote:
cerb wrote:No suprises to see #1 & #2 on the podium...

just a solo training ride for #1 :shock:

g-boaf wrote:I haven't done anything for a few days, yesterday was super tired from flying back to Australia. I did get some sleep on the flight. Might go out for a ride tomorrow.

nice one g-boaf. give yourself an opportunity to recover from jetlag before hitting it too hard

Good advice, I did do a coffee ride yesterday about 60km, felt a bit lethargic so took it easy - but had some real power today. :)

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:44 am

~350 TSS aggregate over the weekend with 3 rides. stress balance now -37 which is a bit much but I'll take today off (commute only). a couple more weeks of hitting it before my target race. :twisted:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:43 pm

Had an hour today at 263w average and 274w NP. Numbers I've not seen in quite a while, pretty happy with that.

Riding quite alright at the moment. :)

kb

Postby kb » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:41 pm

g-boaf wrote:Had an hour today at 263w average and 274w NP. Numbers I've not seen in quite a while, pretty happy with that.

Rebound :-)

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:45 pm

kb wrote:
g-boaf wrote:Had an hour today at 263w average and 274w NP. Numbers I've not seen in quite a while, pretty happy with that.

Rebound :-)

Seems like it, similar yesterday and today as well so quite consistent. :)

Return to “Training”