Training for the Bupa without riding the Bupa

khendar

Training for the Bupa without riding the Bupa

Postby khendar » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:06 am

I've signed up for the Bupa Challenge next year. Its going to be my longest ride to date (with getting to and from the start and end points, around 160km) and the most climbing in a single ride.

http://tourdownunder.com.au/bupa-challe ... ns/start-1

I want to get in as much training as possible, but I'm hesitant to train on certain parts of the route for reasons of safety (up Gorge Road in particular). Would my best bet be to find similar length Cat2 climbs on safer routes and just do repeat after repeat ? I don't think I have a problem with the distance alone, but when you throw in several decent climbs I think I need to put in some work.

MichaelB

Re: Training for the Bupa without riding the Bupa

Postby MichaelB » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:24 pm

I get the reluctance on parts of Gorge Rd, it can be a bit hairy. That said, I've seen more of an issue with some of the cyclists than the cars. Riding two abreast up hills when (I know you are allowed) you don't need to and know cars are coming.

I don't think repeats of hills are the key, more like just ride hills. The route doesn't have extended climbs, but it's a day of up & down, up & down, up & down, up & down, up & down, up & down, up & down, with some up & down to finish ....

The killer, especially if it's a warm day will be Nortons, Woods Hill & Tregarthen Rd combo - nothing super steep and long, but plenty of climbing to sap the legs at the end of a long day of up & down.

It'll be an imperial century for me too, but great to be able to ride to & from there from home (near Wayville Showgrounds).

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:58 pm

About to do ride up to Cudlee Ck, turn around and then do rest of route as a bit of familiarisation.

Just had another look at the amount of climbing to do, and one plotted route puts it over 2,000m of ascent !!!

Hope it’s not too hot on the day .....

khendar

Postby khendar » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:29 am

MichaelB wrote:Just had another look at the amount of climbing to do, and one plotted route puts it over 2,000m of ascent !!!

Hope it’s not too hot on the day .....

Being mid Jan, its probably too much to hope for a cool day.

I did a Norton > Glenelg > Outer Harbour and back loop yesterday. 105km. Maybe next week I'll try and throw in another Norton at the end to try and simulate that last 20k of the Bupa.

I'm thinking probably the safest route might be to do Freeway > Lofty > Nortons loops. Mostly sheltered and a decent distance with some good climbs.

Doing the distance isn't going to be a big problem, but combining it with those climbs is a little scary.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:57 pm

Did the ride up Gorge Rd to Cudlee Cr and then back down and followed the course to Uraidla. Overall was 110km at an average of 25.8km/hr and with almost 1,400m of climbing.

Traffic was pretty sparse surprisingly, and the worst bit was the road surface on the way down from Kangaroo Cr Dam. It was really poor.

Next run up there will be looking to do the loop (up to Mt Pleasant) and keep going down and see how the legs feel about Norton.

It's more a matter of pacing. If it's a warm day, it's the final part that will be the killer. Was pretty cool going up Gorge Rd

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:38 pm

How’s the training going kendhar?

khendar

Postby khendar » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:03 am

Sporadic :(

I went out with the Ride for a Reason crew to do Norton > Lofty > Freeway on Sunday. I felt good during the ride and thought I was hydrating and fueling properly. When I got home I felt extremely fatigued: sandy eyes, fuzzy headed. Monday and Tuesday I had a headache, fuzziness, stomach cramps etc. I spoke to the doctor who said it may have been head exhaustion/dehydration, or it may have been the curry the night before.

So I didn't commute or do intervals on Monday as I intended, but I'm planning on picking back up again on Friday and paying closer attention to my fuel/fluid intake.

The ride itself wasn't too tough. Norton is becoming routine, Woods Hill road was a bit of a grind and the pack had spread out a bit by that point so there was no group benefit. Lofty was surprisingly easy in comparison.

How about you MichaelB?