Mt Coot-tha training

RobertL

Re: Mt Coot-tha training

Postby RobertL » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:31 pm

adam0bmx0 wrote:I saw police on the bottom of the front descent last night (around 6pm), came around the long sweeping corner doing 65km/h, had to scrub off speed pretty sharpish, luckily they didn't flag me down at the T-junction stop sign.

I also got a Cootha front x 3 PR, with 27.03 which put me at 8th fastest of all time for that segment. :D

I saw that on Strava - with your backpack! Chapeau, indeed.

adam0bmx0

Postby adam0bmx0 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:42 pm

RobertL wrote:
adam0bmx0 wrote:I saw police on the bottom of the front descent last night (around 6pm), came around the long sweeping corner doing 65km/h, had to scrub off speed pretty sharpish, luckily they didn't flag me down at the T-junction stop sign.

I also got a Cootha front x 3 PR, with 27.03 which put me at 8th fastest of all time for that segment. :D

I saw that on Strava - with your backpack! Chapeau, indeed.

Ha yea, I keep the battery pack in there for my bike's electric motor. :D

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:07 am

So, I achieved a major milestone that I had set myself yesterday. I reduced my PR on Coot-tha to 12:00 exactly (hmm, another second would have been nice!).

That’s quite an accomplishment for me.

Some history - I got back onto a bike in mid-2015 and started commuting on an old MTB. I was fat and lazy and weighed 120kg.

I got interested in it and pretty quickly bought a second-hand road bike. In November that year, I decided to try this Mt Coot-tha climb that I had heard about. It took me over 24 minutes and I had to stop twice. It nearly killed me.

I kept riding to work and added some solo rides. I was getting fitter bit by bit and losing weight. In February 2016 I went back to Coot-tha and got up in 20 minutes, without stopping.

Shortly after that, I started doing group rides. Each of those rides has some sort of hill segment, and I started monitoring my progress on Strava. I decided to set myself a goal of getting into the top 50% of all Strava times on all the various hills.

I quickly realised that the big hills that everyone rides – Coot-tha, Gravatt etc – would be the hardest ones to achieve that aim. Every decent rider in Brisbane and beyond rides those hills, so it was the biggest challenge.

In early 2017 I started doing the weekly Coot-tha group ride with Lifecycle. My first time with them had me going up in 14:59, so a 5 minute PR compared to a year before that!

The 50% goal time was 12:04, so I had to get 25% faster. (I like numbers, can you tell?)

Slowly but surely my times improved until I did a 12:09 a couple of weeks ago – I was within touching distance.

Last night, I took 9 seconds off that, so mission accomplished! I have literally got 25% faster in about 14 months.

So now I have to think of a new goal. Taking one more second off my time and getting into the elevens is an obvious one, but not a huge stretch. Maybe I should aim to get into the tens by the end of the year - but that may be unobtainable?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:12 pm

RobertL wrote:So now I have to think of a new goal.

Go for sub 10. that's 1min per 250m

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:31 pm

jasonc wrote:
RobertL wrote:So now I have to think of a new goal.

Go for sub 10. that's 1min per 250m

:shock: :shock: :shock:

That's 2 minutes faster than now!!!

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:50 pm

Well done Robert

adam0bmx0

Postby adam0bmx0 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:59 pm

Well done Robert! Great progress! Definately aim for a Sub-10!!! :twisted: