Perceived Efforts...

toolonglegs

Re: Perceived Efforts...

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:13 pm

Normally I would say no..but I have felt it the last few weeks....2 big races 3 weekends ago, 135km race 2 weekends ago has made me feel a bit flat.But I also haven't had as much time to train being school holidays.Luckily apart from a stuffy head I feel a lot better this morning.You know that feeling when you feel very strong on the bike but everything else in life is hard work...well thats me at the moment.But I don't really think I am anywhere near over training...school goes back next week so I will get back to a routine and see how I feel.This weekends race will be tough but I think I can have a chance...otherwise I will offer my wheel to one of the clubs lighter riders for a leadout.But the weekend after is one I really want to win!.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:37 pm

any chance of a few paragraph markers?

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:16 pm

That would mean I have a proper understanding of English... :oops:

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:18 pm

The man is trying to learn french! :mrgreen:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

drubie

Postby drubie » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:41 am

sogood wrote:The man is trying to learn french! :mrgreen:
Failing too. Clearly he's still bathing too much and refuses to run away once provoked.

:)
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:17 am

Oh the myths :lol: ... Je parle très bien maintenant,je peux même avoir une conversation!.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:53 am

toolonglegs wrote:That would mean I have a proper understanding of English... :oops:
Nah - just hit the enter button every so often :lol:

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:48 am

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:Nah - just hit the enter button every so often :lol:
What was that on a French keyboard again? :wink:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:28 pm

sogood wrote:
Alex Simmons/RST wrote:Nah - just hit the enter button every so often :lol:
What was that on a French keyboard again? :wink:
Dunno...French keyboard is just too different to English!.

Had a dilemma last night... powertap with CXP33 rim or set of 808's ...one will help me ride faster and so will the other :roll:

Just out of interest...why do you say go with the 15mm axle size powertap Alex?.Obviously they are a lot lighter and I suppose stiffer but are they also more accurate?.

Ant.

Postby Ant. » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:53 pm

Go the powertap - no question!
Cervélo R3
Cervélo P3C
BT Blade

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:06 pm

Ant. wrote:Go the powertap - no question!

Which one did you get Ant?.

Ant.

Postby Ant. » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:24 pm

On my training wheel, i have the powertap pro+, ANT+ (specifically wanted the ANT+ for obvious reasons :wink: )
Virtually the cheapest one, with the 12mm alloy axle. As long as it gives me day to day accurate data, I don't care how stiff the wheel is or isn't, as the power I'm pushing is what matters, not how that translates into speed/performance.

For my race wheel however, zipp 404 tubular, umm, I'd have to check, and the bike is in the shop getting serviced. It's got 2.4 written on it, not sure if there's a 2.4 range with model variations or something like that, and it's not on the ANT+ network which is actually annoying me more than I thought it would. (yeah I know, I'll get it updated sooner or later).

First thing you'll notice is your intervals - most likely you start out WAY too hard and fade.
Cervélo R3
Cervélo P3C
BT Blade

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:04 pm

Ant. wrote:For my race wheel however, zipp 404 tubular, umm, I'd have to check, and the bike is in the shop getting serviced. It's got 2.4 written on it, not sure if there's a 2.4 range with model variations or something like that, and it's not on the ANT+ network which is actually annoying me more than I thought it would. (yeah I know, I'll get it updated sooner or later).
There are models with 2.4 that are not Ant+. The 2.4 was just a tag for the frequency range for the hubs using Saris' own transmission protocol. Ant+ was introduced later.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:07 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Just out of interest...why do you say go with the 15mm axle size powertap Alex?.Obviously they are a lot lighter and I suppose stiffer but are they also more accurate?.
I have read a few reports that the bigger stronger guys found the thinner axles weren't quite up to it, so they recommended the thicker axle or steel. Maybe they are full of themselves. It is not a power measurement issue. Honestly, I have been pretty tough on my wheels and my 2005 SL hubs are still going strong.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:03 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:Just out of interest...why do you say go with the 15mm axle size powertap Alex?.Obviously they are a lot lighter and I suppose stiffer but are they also more accurate?.
I have read a few reports that the bigger stronger guys found the thinner axles weren't quite up to it, so they recommended the thicker axle or steel. Maybe they are full of themselves. It is not a power measurement issue. Honestly, I have been pretty tough on my wheels and my 2005 SL hubs are still going strong.

Ok with my record I might go the 15mm.Also they are a 200gram lighter.Still a little way off buying one but SRM is out of my range...especially as i want a 177.5 or 180mm crank arm.

More is the issue what rim to put on it...I am thinking CXP33 set up tubeless...strong rim for training but a bit aero and not too heavy so I can do a few races on it as well.Would love a deep dish carbon but at the moment I think I am too heavy and the roads here can be rough especially for racing.

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:04 pm

Have also read a few things about heavier riders prefer the larger diameter axle, can't remember where I read it though.

One thing I would look into is how the Garmin 705 works with the powertap (read out display etc). Its almost the same price to buy just the hub and a 705 with HR rather than the hub and powertap kit. I can't say I'm impressed with the powertap computer!

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:07 pm

toolonglegs wrote: More is the issue what rim to put on it...I am thinking CXP33 set up tubeless...strong rim for training but a bit aero and not too heavy so I can do a few races on it as well.Would love a deep dish carbon but at the moment I think I am too heavy and the roads here can be rough especially for racing.
I went with a Kinlin XR-300 (30mm deep) with DT Aerolite spokes.

Can get them from fairwheel bikes in the US, not sure if theres any euro suppliers. I got onto them after reading some recommendations (low weight, aeroish and strong) from wheelbuilders on weightweenies.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:20 pm

Deanj wrote:Have also read a few things about heavier riders prefer the larger diameter axle, can't remember where I read it though.

One thing I would look into is how the Garmin 705 works with the powertap (read out display etc). Its almost the same price to buy just the hub and a 705 with HR rather than the hub and powertap kit. I can't say I'm impressed with the powertap computer!
At least the PT CPU works. Can't say the same for the 705. It seems that a large number are having massive headaches getting decent power data out of them. Too many power/speed drops, doesn't even provide a proper average for power - probably one of the most basic functions!! Many are going back to the PT CPU 'cause it works reliably with the PT hub.

At this time, I wouldn't recommend using anything but the CPU that is made by the maker of the power meter. Let the early adopters deal with all the bugs until Garmin irons them out (which at the rate they're going, will be another 12-24 months I'd say.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:23 pm

toolonglegs wrote:
Alex Simmons/RST wrote:

Ok with my record I might go the 15mm.Also they are a 200gram lighter.Still a little way off buying one but SRM is out of my range...especially as i want a 177.5 or 180mm crank arm.

More is the issue what rim to put on it...I am thinking CXP33 set up tubeless...strong rim for training but a bit aero and not too heavy so I can do a few races on it as well.Would love a deep dish carbon but at the moment I think I am too heavy and the roads here can be rough especially for racing.
Have a chat with Rich at wheelbuilder.com
he is very good at suggesting a wheel build for you needs.

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:26 pm

Consider it looked into :wink:

Hadn't read anything about compatibility so thanks for that Alex, I was sort of wondering if I had done the wrong thing, but seems not.

Ant.

Postby Ant. » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:05 am

Deanj wrote:Have also read a few things about heavier riders prefer the larger diameter axle, can't remember where I read it though.

Oh, just remembered! :oops:
5s display smoothing for me.
I done an awesome MIET through some very undulating terrain without looking at my meter at all, and it is -very- isopower'ish. I impressed myself 8)
8 weeks into training and I'm beginning to get fairly attuned to this thing :D
Cervélo R3
Cervélo P3C
BT Blade

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:56 pm

:lol: No probs, I forgot myself! Cheers for that.

Training for me kicks off tomorrow, a nice rest day 8)

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:53 am

Ant. wrote:

Oh, just remembered! :oops:
5s display smoothing for me.
I done an awesome MIET through some very undulating terrain without looking at my meter at all, and it is -very- isopower'ish
. I impressed myself 8)
8 weeks into training and I'm beginning to get fairly attuned to this thing :D
I have no idea what you are talking about :oops:

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:36 am

toolonglegs wrote:I have no idea what you are talking about :oops:
Don't worry, Ant's just going through the early acclimitisation phases of training with a power meter.
I can decipher his code and his enthusiasm. :)

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:49 am

toolonglegs wrote:
Ant. wrote: 5s display smoothing for me.
I done an awesome MIET through some very undulating terrain without looking at my meter at all, and it is -very- isopower'ish
. I impressed myself 8)
I have no idea what you are talking about :oops:
I was playing around with settings on the powertap computer, I'd noticed in one of Ant's posts he was talking about data smoothing so I sent him a pm a few days ago asking which he had been using.