When sick....?.

The foundations for successful riding

Re: When sick....?.

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:33 am

Here's an item on dealing with illness

In essence, be careful when ill and continuing to train. It is my experience (both for myself and for those I coach/have coached) that time off to allow the body to properly deal with whatever it has to deal with is a far better solution. One's health is not to be toyed with.

I recently had a whole week of no riding because of some minor flu/cold type bug. Indeed I probably could have started back on the bike a day or two before I did but I knew the risk of prolonging or deepening what I had would place my overall goals in greater jeapordy. Then a week or so of sensible riding without high intensity and then back into it. Before long and I am banging out higher power than before. These things suck but one must have patience and consider the bigger picture.
Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

by BNA » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:43 am

BNA

Postby twizzle » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:43 am

I worked in an IT shop a couple of years ago where one of the guys nearly died after a virus attacked his heart. I never thought much of it until the other day when the resident elite athlete mentioned how her sister had competed with a virus and it attacked her heart and caused disturbances in the ECG waveforms for three months. As 'strenuous' exercise is known to reduce the white blood cell levels for up to 24 hours after the exercise, I doubt it is a good idea to hit the bike hard when sick. Mind you, the latest BA turned up in the mail yesterday, and Cadel Evans was training after Christmas with a heavy cold...

I've been sick this last week - caught a virus, got into the throat, and every time I think I'm getting over it and ride again, I start running a temperature. :(
I ride, therefore I am.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...
twizzle

Postby JV911 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:52 am

twizzle wrote:As 'strenuous' exercise is known to reduce the white blood cell levels for up to 24 hours after the exercise

i guess that's why elite athletes are prone to getting crook esp gastro and respiratory diseases

i've seen (on TV) riders refuse to shake hands with people and fire up at others for coughing/sneezing near them. i can understand why when there is so much at stake
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

JV911

Postby sogood » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:00 pm

twizzle wrote:Mind you, the latest BA turned up in the mail yesterday, and Cadel Evans was training after Christmas with a heavy cold...

I'd say that's a macho, image, PR, spin issue. That way he is seen to be a tough guy...
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:35 pm

Pretty sure I haven't got virus....just greenies.As the antibiotics are working...just making me feel a bit weak.I finish them on Friday so have till Sunday to liven up!.
toolonglegs

Postby bomberdon » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:56 pm

On Twizzle's comment about a virus attacking the heart, this actually happened to me....on 13.4.06 (black Friday). The week preceeding, I was unwell (head cold, sniffles etc..) but ignored this and continued to train (cycle & run). At 7:00pm that night, I had a numbness go thru my left arm, chest pains and trouble breathing.....ambo's called immediately.

They arrived (in 2 minutes) and initially thought I was having a heart attack, but were surprised as they were expecting someone older, not a (then) 38 year old. Off to hospital where after 2 hours I was diagnosed with pericarditis (where a virus attacks to muscle surrounding the heart). Excruciating pain, lots of antibiotics and once over it (after 3 days) off exercise for 3 months...

The moral of the story? When you're sick - take time to get better!! Take it easy, it aint worth it
:D
bomberdon

Postby twizzle » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:48 pm

bomberdon wrote:On Twizzle's comment about a virus attacking the heart, this actually happened to me....on 13.4.06 (black Friday). The week preceeding, I was unwell (head cold, sniffles etc..) but ignored this and continued to train (cycle & run). At 7:00pm that night, I had a numbness go thru my left arm, chest pains and trouble breathing.....ambo's called immediately.

They arrived (in 2 minutes) and initially thought I was having a heart attack, but were surprised as they were expecting someone older, not a (then) 38 year old. Off to hospital where after 2 hours I was diagnosed with pericarditis (where a virus attacks to muscle surrounding the heart). Excruciating pain, lots of antibiotics and once over it (after 3 days) off exercise for 3 months...

The moral of the story? When you're sick - take time to get better!! Take it easy, it aint worth it
:D

Jeez - glad you are O.K.! I suspect the antibiotics would have been precautionary, just in case it was caused by something bacterial rather than viral. Some light reading here.
I ride, therefore I am.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...
twizzle

Postby bomberdon » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:41 pm

In fact, I now recall them giving me double doses of Neurofen every 4 hours, in addition to antibiotics.
bomberdon

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:13 pm

Seem to be coming thru it ok...managed a couple of rides during the week...yesterday's was at an 90min not much off tempo...last antibiotic pill today.Not that I have tried to hit maximum but that will be the only worry tommorow...but it is a flat :D race and it is pretty windy so I will hide mid pack...should be 80-90 in my grade tommorow so shouldn't be too hard to hide...as long a break dosen't go away!.
toolonglegs

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:23 pm

So how'd you go Toolong? Manage to curb the instinct to destroy others legs? :D

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:39 pm

Mulger bill wrote:So how'd you go Toolong? Manage to curb the instinct to destroy others legs? :D

Shaun

It is only Sunday morning here...Sunday race today.Feel quite good today after a bit of a party yesterday :lol: ...french champagne is cheaper here for some reson :roll: ...not sure how I will feel today but will definately keep my nose away from any wind by closely following bums...if it comes down to a sprint which I think it will team orders are for someone to attack with 1km or so to go...probably won't work but will guarantee a fast sprint...just the way I like it.
toolonglegs

Next

Return to Training