The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:00 pm

Mate said come and do a cruise in the hills last night... The weather and views were stunning... Yeah we cruised the first climb and then we didn't. He is 68 kgs of climbing ... Think he was a bit surprised to hear me creak my way back up to him on the first couple of climbs :-) ... Turned myself inside out on the 8km climb but he still put 40 secs into me by the summit. Still I am hardly fresh from last weekends efforts. Better look out as I still have a lot of weight I can drop ;-) ... Hills never get easier but you sure get up them quicker !!!.
1400m climbing in 40kms

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:49 pm

Two days off the bike... Have to work some times!. But boy, mamoth amounts sitting at the computer retouching / less than 6 hours sleep for 3 nights in a row and I am a wreck!... Had to clear the head last night so went out for 25ks, felt like I was pedaling with two stumps of wood!. Old age!!!.

ni78ck

Re: The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc

Postby ni78ck » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:53 pm

three days off the bike :evil:
rain should be gone for a smashathon tomorrow morning!
Cervelo R5
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:59 pm

It's only water ;-)

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:05 pm

i was tempted this morning!!!
couldnt be bothered cleaning the bike. :shock:
Cervelo R5

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:12 pm

Three days off the bike due to rain. Hopefully I'll get over the chronic throat bug that's been hanging around for a few months and be stronger than ever.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:15 pm

ni78ck wrote:i was tempted this morning!!!
couldnt be bothered cleaning the bike. :shock:
lol I would point you to the jetwash thread but I will only get told by a thousand people how your bike will crumble underneath you if you use a pressure wash.

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:17 pm

i just bought a gerni, and was wondering........................................ :?
Cervelo R5

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:22 pm

:-)

Peacewise

Postby Peacewise » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:13 pm

I have been enjoying a 20ish km hotdog circuit, start at the mount barker linear trail, echunga side, ride till the tar runs out at laratinga wetlands, u turn and return to start, doing this twice. Its a highly technical course and taking me about an hour including the short ride from home to the trail. At times the turns and risk of injury due to near course obstructions are slowing me down, yet there are quite a few chances to power hard.
Keep flexing, spinning, rolling, coasting, pushing, pulling, drafting, sprinting, time trialling, touring, climbing, descending, hot dogging, crit-ing, racing, weaving, dodging, dropping, tanking, chasing... but most of all - just keep f'ing riding!

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:55 pm

strewth....a C grade crit tomorrow and no where near a bike in the previous 6 days. should be interesting.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:26 am

Don't be doing any work then Pawpaw. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:16 am

Mur de Huy yesterday... La Redoubt today plus many other Ardennes classic climbs ... beautiful riding but crap training, can't really hammer them... one day I want to come back and give them my best shot... but they are not for the heavy weights :lol: .
Frites qnd Belgium beer isn't helping :oops: .

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:20 am

Beer is good, is protein and just think of how much faster, you can go down the other side than the under nourished ones. :wink: :lol:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

stinhambo

Postby stinhambo » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:06 pm

Today I hurt like hell. Went out for what I thought was a simple enough group ride but ended up doing 80km including part of Lake Morris Road.

Tornado

Postby Tornado » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:04 pm

Nice easy day today. Spent an hour at an easy pace rolling through the new sub division nearby. Have a nice flat circuit that I do recovery on.

2015 Specialized Tarmac
2012 Avanti Giro3

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:08 am

My days are pretty gentle at the moment ( and there is too much food on offer :oops: ) ... but I got to do the Oude Kwaremont, Paterberg & Koppenberg today... cobbles are freakin awesum. I only really pushed the Koppenberg a bit as I am working... but happy with 29th / 674 on strava... will come back when lighter and own my own an really hammer them :D . Had goose bumps riding over some off the Ronde van Vlaanderen roads today!. Riding the canals in Belgium is a tough job 8) .

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:04 pm

BAh, after doing teh Cairns tri, I had a slack few weeks, moving house, working, bad weather etc, and blimped out, putting on several kilos.
Getting back on the bike this week though, with rides every day, and feeling much stronger on the bike again. Times are terrible though, and hills are a struggle. Hoping that by the end of next week, I might be back to normal.
Legs felt good today.
You have officially become your parents.

stinhambo

Postby stinhambo » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:29 pm

Ken Ho wrote:BAh, after doing teh Cairns tri,
Weather was amazing on that day. Perhaps not for you guys sweating it out...

Peacewise

Postby Peacewise » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:03 pm

Last night after the Tour i decided to go for a 2 am ride.
Ended up doing a 35 km route, mount barker, littlehampton, nairne, mappinga road, oakbank, balhannah, littlehampton, mount barker.

An enjoyable ride, mappinga road is a fast section, scary fast in the dark with intermittent mist and fog. The lezyne mini drive did a great job, tempts me to buy another cause its so good, but is so good i dont really need two.

Funny thing was i thought i was riding at about a 23 kph ave, turned out it was 19 ish, the riding felt fast and easy, lol, turned out to be slow and easy.

RD cable stretch reared its head needing another twist of the thingy, otherwise bike was sweet, bloody should be its had three cleans in 10 days.
Keep flexing, spinning, rolling, coasting, pushing, pulling, drafting, sprinting, time trialling, touring, climbing, descending, hot dogging, crit-ing, racing, weaving, dodging, dropping, tanking, chasing... but most of all - just keep f'ing riding!

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:26 pm

stinhambo wrote:
No, weather was just amazing full stop. I did plenty of training in the Central West in summer, so even though it was hot, I wasn't too bothered. would have had a better run in cooler conditions, but I run like crap any, so who cares. I did the half, so was running in the hottest part of the day too.
I've put my hand up for a job at Gordonvale in Sep/Oct, so I may be looking for someone to do the Tour de Tableland with then. Are you up for it ?
Probably do the Triport Half too, as I start directly after that, and it's a fraction of the price of a WTC event, and Port will be a fantastic course.
You have officially become your parents.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:43 pm

Lots of K's lately, 650 in the last 9 days I think... but not very hard at all.Looking after clients isn't exactly high intensity training.
And now I have no road bike as it will meet me somewhere near the south of France on Thursday... so 3 days of hardish riding on the TT bike coming up :D ... followed by another 10 days of long days cruising. Not looking good for the TT's in September. Oh well maybe I will have good form in October for the start of Cyclocross season :| .

open roader

Postby open roader » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:20 pm

Only chance for a ride this weekend was a must complete before 9am when I had to again go off to work. 7:10am and it was still -4 deg C according to the usually uber accurate car thermometer with a blanket frost all over :shock:

Donned the bib tights with wool socks and T shirt under long sleeve jersey zipped to the very top - silk inners for my gloves and a cotton cap under my helmet (all I could think of).... Headed off into the rapidly increasing light for 45km of the most excruciating riding I've ever experienced.

Fortunately the roads were already well driven on and I managed to avoid all the frozen puddles and frosty sections of bitumen but anything more than 25km/hr produced the most bitterly cold wind which burned my ears and cheeks. Pushing hard to go faster to warm up was a counter productive modus operandi as the cold air rushing past me was over the top for a softie like me.......... :oops:

However, if it's the only chance to ride for the whole sunny weekend then you have to take your chances when they come along........ I'm just about thawed out now at 8pm at night.......... brrrrr
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

ireland57

Postby ireland57 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:39 pm

Ken Ho wrote:
stinhambo wrote:

I've put my hand up for a job at Gordonvale in Sep/Oct, so I may be looking for someone to do the Tour de Tableland with then. Are you up for it ?

Is Tour de Tableland on again?

It was cancelled from June :( ; we were told it was a right off for this year at least.
Would love to hear back from you asap. Thanks.

Peacewise

Postby Peacewise » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:13 pm

Trippy ride in a storm tonight up here in Mt Barker. 20 k's in 45 min along the river linear trail.

Three spots of the underbridge pathway were flooded, two beyond attempting a crossing, whilst on the third time I tested the depth and ended up submersing the bottom bracket before deciding to not cross, then realised I was in foot deep water, clipped in and holding onto a rail. hmmm, can't back pedal, can't go forward, water and surface too risky to attempt a rolling uturn, --------------------------------, had to put both feet in the river to nearly knee high and walk out lol. Felt like a kid in the mud. Felt a touch of regret when I considered my poor purple pinarello being treated this way, so she got a solid wash and dry at home.

Had just today bought a Bear Grylls Windstopper jacket so wanted to test its' and my metal against the elements. Jacket pulled up alright, got satched thru the arms, and heavily wet in the chest and belly, but even wet the jacket still stopped the wind and I felt comfortable. When the hail started I laughed, thought "this jacket better hold up", whilst trimming my speed and cornering. I briefly thought of the driver in "Drivin' Miss Daisy" and the ice scene.

Sweet ride.
216 km in 7 days. I'm loving the winter night riding, toughening me up it is.