The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Re: The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:21 pm

toolonglegs wrote:
Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:Doc didn't give me antibiotics :D just sprays and today I feel 100% better...not 100% but on my way!!!.
Trying to get my Powertap working again...is peeing me off.Can't tell wether it is hub or CPU...but my heartrate strap is working...and I can still get my resting heart rate down to 36 even after morning coffee :D .Might be up for a ride!.
You haven't accidentally put it into cyclocomputer mode?
That disables wattages readings and it becomes a HRM+cyclocomputer.
RTM
Not sure how you do that?...but I don't think so as it froze while I was riding along and I hadn't touched anything...also it dosen't register anything from the hub ie:speed and cadence.
But on a good note I managed 2 hours steady/slightly hard pace today and felt OK.
If CPU is same as wired, it can happen if you have cadence displayed on lower line and hold down one of the buttons for a couple of seconds.

OK, well fresh batts, a reset, relearn and see how it goes. If any further trouble, give Bob Tobin a call, I'm sure he'll have some ideas. I'm less au fait with the wireless models.

Good to hear you feel better. I'm hoping to ride before end of week if all my various ailments can clear up. Don't be overly concerned, fitness doesn't completely disappear if you've had a fair bit in the legs for a while. just takes a little while to get it back - easy easy to start with, riding hard with a virus is really bad idea.

Ant.

Postby Ant. » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:16 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
Ant. wrote:Time for me to lay off the ice-cream... i'm +4kg where I used to be :oops:
:shock:
Ric mentioned something the other day about how my power to weight is coming along nicely. Maybe I should correct that statement for him :lol:

Perth is finally seeing some sunshine, but I'm stuck home playing supervisor for the electrician. I'm thinking today's ride will extend beyond sunset.

2x20's tomorrow then a steady ride for 1hr :mrgreen: repeatable 290W, here we come *crosses fingers*
Cervélo R3
Cervélo P3C
BT Blade

Ant.

Postby Ant. » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:23 pm

For the past 6 months, Mother (dearest) kept arguing with me about why I need a satnav thing for my car, being a man, I kept telling her to shove it; I'm happy with my map books. But I finally succumbed, and let her buy me a Garmin 705. Will be cool to have altitude, and to see average interval power at same time as current power, and will be even cooler when Garmin eventually gets it's s*%t together... until then, running alongside the powertap head 8)
Cervélo R3
Cervélo P3C
BT Blade

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:05 pm

Went to the osteo yesterday....weird,it felt like he didn't do too much manipulation but today I am shattered!.He confirmed my diagnosis of twisted hips,he said it wasn't too bad but that he noticed I had a bit of kidney pain as well.Saying that my liver was pushing down on my rh kidney also adding to the hip twist.
Will be good if I can correct it as there is no way I am putting out the same power in my left leg...may not be a problem now, but riding for years like this will just keep exaggerating the problem....at the moment I feel like I need the seat turned 5 degrees left to equal up my legs!.
He also said that me stopping yoga wouldn't have helped...as all the inverted / upside down stuff you do there would have readdressed my organ problems....so may start doing some more handstand sessions!.
Alex I talked with Bob yesterday,he said because the screen actually froze and because I had to take the battery out to reset it he thinks the cpu is at fault...so he put another one in the post yesterday to try...I hope it is that because I don't really want to arrange shipping of a wheel!.

Ant.

Postby Ant. » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:15 pm

Power PB's don't hang around long that's for sure 8) Guess I'm reacting very well to an increased training load.
2x20min intervals, plus a hour hour steady ride afterwards (victory laps pretty much :P )
Interval 1: 293W AP
Interval 2: 297W AP

The day I do 300W repeatable intervals, I'm going to strip naked (except helmet and shoes) and finish the day's training in my birthday suit.
Cervélo R3
Cervélo P3C
BT Blade

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:34 pm

Ant. wrote:The day I do 300W repeatable intervals, I'm going to strip naked (except helmet and shoes) and finish the day's training in my birthday suit.
You know I'm now very glad you're on the other side of the country.... :P

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:35 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Alex I talked with Bob yesterday,he said because the screen actually froze and because I had to take the battery out to reset it he thinks the cpu is at fault...so he put another one in the post yesterday to try...I hope it is that because I don't really want to arrange shipping of a wheel!.
OK, see how it goes.

1q2w3e4r

Postby 1q2w3e4r » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:01 pm

Alex, quick question. I finish my current training program at the end of July (the 25th) so I have a MAP test on the 23rd. I'm keen to do some riding the following week then crack into another program from the 1st/2nd August onward.

My question is this, where should I schedule a FTP test? I was thinking of the 11th July which is plenty of time to recovery before my MAP. I start the power period with TTI and MIET sessions next week from the 7th forward or should I have a go on the 18th of July around a week or so before the MAP?

My reasoning is once I get my current numbers I want to take my current fitness into another training program and wasn't sure what the best way to achieve both results would be.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:11 pm

1q2w3e4r wrote:Alex, quick question. I finish my current training program at the end of July (the 25th) so I have a MAP test on the 23rd. I'm keen to do some riding the following week then crack into another program from the 1st/2nd August onward.

My question is this, where should I schedule a FTP test? I was thinking of the 11th July which is plenty of time to recovery before my MAP. I start the power period with TTI and MIET sessions next week from the 7th forward or should I have a go on the 18th of July around a week or so before the MAP?

My reasoning is once I get my current numbers I want to take my current fitness into another training program and wasn't sure what the best way to achieve both results would be.
If you want to do a TT test, you can substitute that for a TTI day or even a MIET day. There's nothing stopping you from doing some extra km's after a TT effort.

Generally a good idea to have at least 2-3 days in between tests. So you could do it in the week before MAP test or probably better on the weekend following the test, make the Saturday an easy day and do the TT on Sunday 26th.

Results will be interesting.

1q2w3e4r

Postby 1q2w3e4r » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:20 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote: Generally a good idea to have at least 2-3 days in between tests. So you could do it in the week before MAP test or probably better on the weekend following the test, make the Saturday an easy day and do the TT on Sunday 26th.

Results will be interesting.
Great, I'll do it after the MAP then. Thanks for that, quite keen to see where the results lay.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:09 am

Ant. wrote:Power PB's don't hang around long that's for sure 8) Guess I'm reacting very well to an increased training load.
2x20min intervals, plus a hour hour steady ride afterwards (victory laps pretty much :P )

The day I do 300W repeatable intervals, I'm going to strip naked (except helmet and shoes) and finish the day's training in my birthday suit.

Jeez you are seeing some good improvements over the last month or 2?

Ant.

Postby Ant. » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:26 pm

toolonglegs wrote:
Ant. wrote:Power PB's don't hang around long that's for sure 8) Guess I'm reacting very well to an increased training load.

Jeez you are seeing some good improvements over the last month or 2?
Yup 8)
20min PB and a 5sec PB this week.
2hr steady ride today with half a dozen sprints. New 5sec PB of 1210W :D

Lazy group ride tomorrow, no PB's scheduled there :wink:
Cervélo R3
Cervélo P3C
BT Blade

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:08 pm

Hmmm..my powertap lasted exactly 2202km before it died :evil: .

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:53 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Hmmm..my powertap lasted exactly 2202km before it died :evil: .
All hail TLL, breaker of everything! I was going to buy a Powertap next, but I think I'll same my pennies for an SRM. 8)

2x20 intervals on trainer last night. However, I got the target speed wrong (converted miles to k's in my head) because I was aiming for 290W but ended up sitting between (est.) 300 and 315W with the HR peaking at 161.

I also managed to hit 59.3km without tyre slip at the end of the second interval for a few seconds, at an est. 1035+W. But you should have heard the creaking noises from the bars/stem/frame!
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

1q2w3e4r

Postby 1q2w3e4r » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:59 pm

I had an ET session scheduled for today or an EIT3 workout as per Alex's training plan. The weather was miserable this morning, so an EIT3 session it was. Still haven't quite worked these out, it hurt for pretty much the entire next 20 minutes after the first Zone 4 interval.

I suppose that means its working.

Ant.

Postby Ant. » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:38 pm

1q2w3e4r wrote:I had an ET session scheduled for today or an EIT3 workout as per Alex's training plan. The weather was miserable this morning, so an EIT3 session it was. Still haven't quite worked these out, it hurt for pretty much the entire next 20 minutes after the first Zone 4 interval.

Coach is dreaming if he wants me to do anything indoors. I didn't tell him, but I was riding lopsided for a couple of weeks, bearing almost zero weight on my right hand after I had a big crash and cooked my wrist (2 surgeons+radiologist+emergecy dept said it was broken but one other, more eminent/senior, surgeon said it wasn't), because that was more favourable than going nowhere in the garage. Rode it like a single speed, except with a front derailleur.

Myself, steady ride today, handful of 10sec sprints. Consistently a handful of watts less than last time, I think the rain had something to do with that, but still happy with the sprint numbers. Hopefully it's dry for next week's sprints. "Endurance-Power phase" of training it looks like, and I'm responding very well. Looking forward to the "pain-bin phase".
Cervélo R3
Cervélo P3C
BT Blade

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:52 pm

2 hour recovery ride today with a few sprints thrown in. Went past a kid on a old mtb and he decided to give me a race, I lost :lol:
Last edited by Deanj on Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ant.

Postby Ant. » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:54 pm

:lol: Nice.

btw, how are your 5sec wattage numbers looking? 8)
Cervélo R3
Cervélo P3C
BT Blade

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:35 pm

1q2w3e4r wrote:I had an ET session scheduled for today or an EIT3 workout as per Alex's training plan. The weather was miserable this morning, so an EIT3 session it was. Still haven't quite worked these out, it hurt for pretty much the entire next 20 minutes after the first Zone 4 interval.

Those are suggestions but one can do another favourite workout if preferred and indoors. Just look for the overall level being similar.
So do whatever keeps you motivated and doing some work. Would rather see a 45-min trainer effort than nothing.

Ant.

Postby Ant. » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:54 pm

Ant. wrote:The day I do 300W repeatable intervals, I'm going to strip naked (except helmet and shoes) and finish the day's training in my birthday suit.
Unfortunately for the neighbours, I broke my promise :( Was wet, cold and raining.

2x20min intervals...
Interval 1 - 300W AP
Interval 2 - 301W AP

I remember doing 2x20's at 230W just as coaching started :shock:

If anyone doubts RST's training, or if anyone is considering getting a coach (one coaching company in particular) ........ <finish the sentence yourself>.

What a beautiful day.
Cervélo R3
Cervélo P3C
BT Blade

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:04 pm

My coach :wink: doesn't want to read this :lol: ...but I have been riding with my mate of late...first time it has happened since being in france as mates don't get to visit too often.So we have been doing big hills...he climbs like a wippet 68kg A grader....and I try to limit my losses to 5 minutes in every hour of climbing! :oops: ...I think I will have a better idea how much he will smash me in the Etape after saturday after we do 3100m climbing in 116km or so on Alpe D'huez and Galibier....I reckon he can put an hour into me by the time we finish 3500m climbing in 170km a top of Ventoux on monday week!!!!...but boy I am going to dig deep to stop it :D .

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:32 pm

Here are Chris Anker Sorensen power files from yesterdays stage...claimed to be his best / hardest ever TDF day...
http://tour-de-france.velonews.com/arti ... crosswinds
Now if I could keep the same power but drop 30kgs I think I could handle that easy enough.... :lol: ...pass the stomach staples!

http://www.trainingpeaks.com/sw/JZ6HXUO ... FBCX5S6H54

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:49 pm

Ant. wrote::lol: Nice.

btw, how are your 5sec wattage numbers looking? 8)
:lol: :lol:

Errrrrr..... lets just say I'm very slow twitch and might have a v small chance in cat 5 race :lol:

With my training/race goals (Endurance mtb) sprints don't really feature in many of my rides rides, I think the other night was the first on the road bike. Have done the others on the mtb rides but no PM on that.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:39 pm

toolonglegs wrote:My coach :wink: doesn't want to read this
That "Powertap in for service" is just a cunning ploy to hide what you've really been up to :lol:
Enjoy it.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:45 pm

Well after a frustrating few weeks of illness and injury, and rain again threatening, I took myself to the velodrome today for a roll on the track and a few flying 500m efforts behind the boys. Felt pretty good but was getting a bit tailed off by a length or so in the acceleration to 61km/h and 145 rpm :lol:

Nice to feel like I can ride without feeling like poo.

I've got 30 weeks to nationals.