The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

g-boaf

Re: The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

Postby g-boaf » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:04 pm

Not done trainerroad, but have done others. If you are committed and methodical they can work well.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:54 pm

2/4/6/8/10min with some 430w bits at the start of each of them.

and

I started to feel like I was going to cramp up on the start of the fourth block, that's the dip. Otherwise ok.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:54 pm

Ok – I’ve dipped my toes into the waters of a training program recently, and I’m after some advice.

I don’t have a power meter or HR monitor, so I looked online for training plans that use perceived effort, and found some at www.bicycling.com/training/fitness/your-training-plans. I followed their “Your big race” plan in the lead up to the Brisbane to Gold Coast ride in October.

It’s a typical sort of training plan from what I can tell – days with longer 20 minute efforts at threshold; other days with 5 minute efforts at “Max”; scheduled rest days, all building up to a big race and so on.

I definitely improved over that 8 week period, however, I was starting from a lowish base. Basically, I’ve only been riding “seriously” for the last couple of years and I’m steadily getting faster, fitter and less fat. So I can’t really tell if my improvement recently is because I followed an 8 week training plan or I’m just improving in general. Either way – I’m happy.

I’m very fortunate that I live 10 minutes ride from a criterium track, so I can easily go there and do whatever workout I want without interruption. I often do this by extending my afternoon commute and doing laps. This sometimes means that I’m on my flatbar commuter bike, with panniers, so I get some funny looks sometimes.

The other thing that I’ve discovered is that I love doing laps! I know that some people find it boring, but I love circulating around for 5 x 5 minutes or 2 x 20 minutes or whatever.

I also do a couple of group rides a week, and incorporated them into my training schedule. And my standard commute is about 30 minutes each way, so it makes a reasonable recovery ride.

So my quandary is what to do from here onwards.

Is training solely by perceived exertion worth it? I know that training using power is the gold standard, but surely lots of cyclists over lots of years have gotten pretty good just going by feel?

I could buy a power meter, but then I’d be limited to training on that bike, which would hinder my commuter-training routine and might make me do less overall.

I could buy a HR monitor which I could use on each bike that I ride, but would that be worth it? Would it actually actually make much difference compared to just going by perceived effort?

Also, do I need to follow someone else’s training plan, or can I just make my own? For example, I noticed that the plan I followed has no short interval work. No 1 minute intervals, or 40/20s or sprints.

So can I just come up with my own schedule and some some longer and shorter intervals each week?

Just how structured and scientific do I have to be to get good results?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:06 am

HR is not bad, you can use it in place of other metrics. Then you can work to the heart rate zones.

Just make sure you know what your maximum HR is, then work out the zones from that. I sometimes do that. I have one bike with a power meter, but I don't always ride that bike.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:15 am

RichB wrote:
jules21 wrote:you've got to take Zwift with a grain of salt though. easy to drop weight on Zwift. also it obviously doesn't adjust for PM error. you need to enjoy it for what it is, rather than compare yourself with others.

Very easy and too tempting for some, coincidentally I've never bumped into so many sub-65kg people in my life.

I compare current results with old, and also gauge how I'm going against usual suspects in the races though I don't put too much in that either tbh. I generally ignore anybody these days if I don't know them or haven't raced them previously.

Yes, an interesting video to highlight the point.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:19 am

The key thing with Zwift is really to ignore what the others are doing, just do your own sessions/workouts as you want to do them. And then you'll be totally unaffected by people putting in too light weights for themselves.