The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

cerb

Re: The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

Postby cerb » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:48 am

Had about a week off the bike after being at the TDU and riding 6 days straight.

Was back on the trainer on Sunday and felt awful doing 6min blocks of over unders between 95% and 105% FTP. Didn't get through the whole session and was left thinking I should drop my FTP down by 10-15W.

However, I then jumped on last night and was doing hard-start intervals (130% FTP for 30sec, followed by 3.5mins at 95%). Found it easy. Turned the last one up another 20% to feel like I'd had a good workout and to simulate power levels that I'd expect in the last 1.5 laps of a race...

Maybe I had an off day last week? Maybe my legs still weren't recovered from TDU riding? Maybe I hadn't eaten/slept properly that day? I know I suck at longer intervals (5-8mins+), but I felt a world of difference between the sessions... who knows!

Guess I'll soldier on at the current level!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:34 am

I think it happens, you have a week off and then trying to get back into it, I know my legs just say "what the hell is this, not going to happen".

And then a few days later everything is back to normal, or close to it.

davehirst

Postby davehirst » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:42 pm

Today I knocked off a hundred k, including a lot of hill, with 14k to go I was light headed and no power left
SAT under a tree for 10m then struggled to Cole's for a chocolate milk and a snickers ( really craved sugar/energy,) another 10 m rest and made it home shattered.
Not sure wether I hit muscular limit, but I think it was food related. I had a banana after 70k and only water other wise
Spent 10k hanging on to someone that passed me, that I should of let go in retrospect.
Was my longest distance to date, and was pleased with my strength until the last hill (bobbin head) and Ks after.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:26 am

That sounds like you bonked. All the signs are there. Total lack of energy, light headed, etc.

cerb

Postby cerb » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:52 am

Nice job dave. As you push your endurance limits out and spend more consecutive hours on the bike, keeping fuelled becomes really important.

The first time I did 100km, pretty sure I ate like 2 bars, 2 gels, 3 bidons (two with electrolyte, one plain water) and also stopped at a cafe. However, once your body becomes more and more used to it, you can train it to do more, with less. These days, depending on the pace and profile, I'll do 100km on 2 bidons of electrolyte and a bar or gel.

Just make sure you carry plenty of food with you and when you get that feeling of 'why am I going slow?' or 'why does this seem hard now?', get some food into you! Also, drink continuously - don't wait until you are thirsty!

_____
I dropped my FTP down 3.5% last week after changing my saddle position and subsequently struggling through trainer sessions for 1.5 weeks. Raising my saddle position has better engaged my quads and seems to have reduced power generated from my calves. As such, my quads are having to play a bit of catch up in the power department... Should be much better in the long run though - better to rely on the larger muscle group...!

Anyway, good session last night doing 8x 50s/50s intervals at 130%. Turned the second block up a further 2%, then ramped the final block up slowly until the final interval was at 145% and spun it out to 150rpm. Nice confidence builder after 'failing' my last 2-3 sessions!

Jumped on Zwift afterward to spin it out but ended up doing a ~5min TT effort around the volcano circuit at 110% FTP... cause I can't help myself.

Then, I finally started to spin the legs out easily, but came to a sprint marker, so gave a half arsed sprint effort on tired legs.

Finally thought to myself that I was going to just spin the legs out easily for a few minutes and Edvald Bossoan Hagen comes past up a hill, so naturally, I had to catch up... and then pass him (with a 200%+ FTP effort)... and keep going. You know... to show him how good I am and stuff... despite the fact he was probably not paying any attention to my pixels going past him (nor did he care). But I rode away at an (incredibly painful) 5.5W/kg anyway... >.<

Lesson for today: Don't go on zwift if you want to do a proper cooldown and do not have the mental stability to not chase every rabbit that comes past!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:03 pm

cerb wrote:Then, I finally started to spin the legs out easily, but came to a sprint marker, so gave a half arsed sprint effort on tired legs.

Finally thought to myself that I was going to just spin the legs out easily for a few minutes and Edvald Bossoan Hagen comes past up a hill, so naturally, I had to catch up... and then pass him (with a 200%+ FTP effort)... and keep going. You know... to show him how good I am and stuff... despite the fact he was probably not paying any attention to my pixels going past him (nor did he care). But I rode away at an (incredibly painful) 5.5W/kg anyway... >.<

Lesson for today: Don't go on zwift if you want to do a proper cooldown and do not have the mental stability to not chase every rabbit that comes past!
Nice. :lol: I don't do much on Zwift (only once) and didn't come across anyone notable on the hill. In any case, one of the local NRS guys a few days later completely smashed our times. :oops: It helps when you can do more than 6w/kg...

davehirst

Postby davehirst » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:13 pm

Pretty sure it was energy related, the body is fine today, calves a bit sore, but that's it.
Felt like I was pedaling in mud by the end of the ride.
Off to Malaysia tomorrow, but I will take a bike and try to work on distance now I have one under my belt.

cerb

Postby cerb » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:04 pm

g-boaf wrote:In any case, one of the local NRS guys a few days later completely smashed our times. :oops: It helps when you can do more than 6w/kg...
Anyone can do more than 6W/kg... how long for though? :lol: :roll:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:46 pm

cerb wrote:
g-boaf wrote:In any case, one of the local NRS guys a few days later completely smashed our times. :oops: It helps when you can do more than 6w/kg...
Anyone can do more than 6W/kg... how long for though? :lol: :roll:
Unfortunately, a very long time. :oops: Like more than 30 minutes, at least.

Cul

Postby Cul » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:47 pm

I have been reasonably consistent with training and racing the last few weeks but the results and numbers have been way off for some reason – it come to a bit of a head last week as I was feeling unwell all week (obviously, it had been lingering). I still rode all week, just kept it easy until Saturday where I rode out to the local crit, raced and rode home – went ok in the crit just focused on staying towards the front.

Resuming regular programming this week, as I count down the weeks to MTB Oceania’s and NATS. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Today was 4 x 3mins Vo2Max intervals, managed to nail 450w on two of the four intervals, pretty wrapped! 8)
My Training & Racing Blog: http://mountainbikemediocrity.wordpress.com
Fuelled By: Pro4mance

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:21 pm

Cul wrote:Today was 4 x 3mins Vo2Max intervals, managed to nail 450w on two of the four intervals, pretty wrapped! 8)
nice!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:34 pm

Cul wrote:Today was 4 x 3mins Vo2Max intervals, managed to nail 450w on two of the four intervals, pretty wrapped! 8)
Wow, nice indeed! I used to do them at 390-400w (6x3min), haven't managed it for a while. I know what to do to get back to that, but just don't want to do it. Too much hurt.

cerb

Postby cerb » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:38 pm

450W / 3 mins is ACE. I do 450W / 2mins and it kills me. :)

Cul

Postby Cul » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:17 pm

g-boaf wrote:

Wow, nice indeed! I used to do them at 390-400w (6x3min), haven't managed it for a while. I know what to do to get back to that, but just don't want to do it. Too much hurt.
Yeah not too shabby I would love to get the weight down a bit and work on pushing other metrics up, particularly the 5min and FTP numbers 8)

Alas more work to do, the next few weeks are more about repeatability than big numbers :shock:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:17 pm

Well you are certainly going well. 8)

I've had a bad case of heavy/sore legs this week. Hit them with the roller today - massive improvement.

That will teach me for neglecting doing that.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:02 pm

If you are using TrainingPeaks and the Device Agent to upload your rides, just be aware (if you've not seen the notice) that they are going to withdraw support for Device Agent. You'll need to sync your rides through any number of other platforms or you can just click and drag the ride from your desktop/finder directly into training peaks browser window.

http://help.trainingpeaks.com/hc/en-us/ ... vice-Agent

cerb

Postby cerb » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:15 am

Good session last night with 3 sets of 8x 50s/50s (130%/55%). Turned it up 3% for the last set and then turned the last interval way up (extra 30%) and span it out.

Form feels like it's starting to come back again. Happy feelz.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:08 pm

1.5h this morning of 4x15min, and frustratingly it didn't rain at all. :roll:

I did manage 50 something kilometres this afternoon with a dead Garmin. I must have left it on the other day and forgot to charge it. Rode pretty quickly anyway, or felt like it anyway.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:32 am

did Tour de Burbs last night, local loop taking in a series of bergs in inner eastern Melbs. local A grade racing identity and coach Stephen Lane turned up - I've never met him but saw the name on Strava afterwards. after every hill (2-3 min. hills) he was casually waiting at the top for everyone. in a different league to me.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:06 am

jules21 wrote:did Tour de Burbs last night, local loop taking in a series of bergs in inner eastern Melbs. local A grade racing identity and coach Stephen Lane turned up - I've never met him but saw the name on Strava afterwards. after every hill (2-3 min. hills) he was casually waiting at the top for everyone. in a different league to me.
It'd be rather nice if it stopped raining here in Sydney so I could actually go out on the bike after work for a few hours. :(

Riding with those really quick riders is the best thing - it helps to have a target to chase. And aside from that, it's good fun trying to stay with them. :)

jules21

Postby jules21 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:35 pm

g-boaf wrote:Riding with those really quick riders is the best thing - it helps to have a target to chase. And aside from that, it's good fun trying to stay with them. :)
I think there's a limit beyond which they just ride away from you, but certainly riders that are a bit faster is great motivation.!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:50 pm

jules21 wrote:
g-boaf wrote:Riding with those really quick riders is the best thing - it helps to have a target to chase. And aside from that, it's good fun trying to stay with them. :)
I think there's a limit beyond which they just ride away from you, but certainly riders that are a bit faster is great motivation.!
I do certainly know some riders who can very easily just ride away from me at insane speed. They are still great motivation - and I certainly want to get to sitting on 280-290w for 20 minutes or more and doing that easy enough that I can have a nice conversation while doing so. that'll help in the hills, given I'm already pretty light.

Not that far away from it, and I've got my 3 minute power up above 360w again. :) And hopefully keep that going for 8 days in a row.

Cul

Postby Cul » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:35 pm

Easy MTB bum around ride for me today; after ripping my legs off with 6 x 2min power intervals last night... Spending the next 3 weeks killing myself on the short stuff before MTB NAT's. :D
Not that far away from it, and I've got my 3 minute power up above 360w again
I've not tested lately, but hoping to have the 8min power around 400w... Now if only I could drop 10kgs :oops:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:59 pm

Cul wrote:I've not tested lately, but hoping to have the 8min power around 400w... Now if only I could drop 10kgs :oops:
400w for 8 minutes, heck... :shock: Just make sure everything is huge climbs. :mrgreen: :oops:

I did another 2x18 today, 275w and 280w for both of them, not too difficult.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:36 pm

g-boaf wrote:Not that far away from it, and I've got my 3 minute power up above 360w again. :) And hopefully keep that going for 8 days in a row.
that power output will not get me anywhere fast, and not because my expectations or level are higher than yours :)