The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

twizzle

Re: The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc

Postby twizzle » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:02 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Super happy... finally broke the 40km average (40.4) for my 13.2km rolling training loop even having to slow right up for traffic on one corner.
Followed it up with a 36.8 and a 37.3 loop at hard tempo. So a nice 3x20 today.
Hopefully adding in a skin suit / 80mm front / disc rear / aero lid and fresher legs than I had today will give me 42km's per hour... plus another months training to give me the 44 I really want!.
I should assume this was on a TT bike? Nice effort for a rolling course.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:51 pm

I don't have a tt bike... Road bike with aero bars ... But it's pretty aggressive position. Taking a while to start making good power in that position but feels much easier to power the rolling climbs. I don't get out of the saddle anywhere unless I drop under 33'ish and out of the corners.
Just working on my pacing... Shows me how much know a loop helps as I do this one quite often. Will spend a bit of time on the courses when I get back from holiday.
I have to finish top 6 in department champs in 4 weeks and place well in regional (5weeks) to qualify for the nationals on 30th sept. if the first two go well I will think about a frame.
Hopefully got a team skin suit and disc rear lined up.
Having never done a tt I have no idea where I stand... If it doesn't go well then no great loss money wise and I will be in a great place for the start of the cx season :-) .
Still got a fair bit of weight to loose... But certainly getting there!.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:11 pm

My "TT bike" is my Ribble 62cm frame, with aero bars and shifters and a reversed seat post. I've looked, there I can't find a TT frame to suit my leg length withough the TT being too long or too low. I actually have the bar position set a little too low at the moment, I'm going to raise the stem 1cm - I find I can breathe easier if I'm up a little. If I get carried away, I might get a proper aero base bar and brakes, but for the moment I'm still running the drop bars and brifters.

I find that, after doing a real TT, my quads hurt - but I can't seem to hurt them in training. It's difficult around here to find somewhere you can hammer for an hour, and we don't run many TT's.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:24 pm

There are a couple of manufacturers who make big frames... But at the moment I can't justify the cost for just 3 or 4 TT's... Bit like I cant justify the cost of a power meter either.
All my TT's seem to be a around the 20-30km mark maximum... So 20 minute intervals are plenty for me at the moment... And I certainly feel it in the legs today ( especially as I am driving to Spain at the moment )

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:29 pm

Yes - big frames, but not to my proportions.

Anyway, didn't really refuel last night after the ride home from work, I wasn't feeling that hungry... and then blew doing hill repeats this morning. Stupidly, I had ridden to the bottom of the hill for one final long climb, and given that the car was parked at the top I had no choice but to continue to the top.

Rest day tomorrow as I'm directing a race.

Peacewise

Postby Peacewise » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:24 pm

So at the end of todays training I am utterly spent, sweat pissing out of every pore, so hot, so drenched, so tired.

Yep, another friggin flu - training is walking to the toilet to cough up a lung.
Keep flexing, spinning, rolling, coasting, pushing, pulling, drafting, sprinting, time trialling, touring, climbing, descending, hot dogging, crit-ing, racing, weaving, dodging, dropping, tanking, chasing... but most of all - just keep f'ing riding!

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:54 pm

Peacewise wrote:So at the end of todays training I am utterly spent, sweat pissing out of every pore, so hot, so drenched, so tired.

Yep, another friggin flu - training is walking to the toilet to cough up a lung.
Sounds like I am a safe distance away. :twisted:

People here just keep on getting viral pneumonia... :(

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:12 pm

Suffering a bit in the Spanish heat, enjoying the super quiet roads away from the beach but not pushing hard on the climbs... Will just have to do endurance work with some hard stuff thrown in when possible.
Need to stop enjoying the food so much though!.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:08 pm

Oh, rub it in, why don't you?

Then again, it's only been -3'ish here. You can keep the French winter. :P

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:47 pm

Lol... It is rather nice :-) . I was going to hook up with a club ride today but the sun / food / beach etc is playing havoc with my legs!...so I cruised the coast checking out the hundreds of abandoned building sites!.
Going to try and save some energy ( and brownie points ) and head inland a little bit to the hills I spotted yesterday... From the map the passes go up to 2000m and they look rugged!.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:46 pm

Finally got my pedal stroke to come good... 300 - 350W suddenly got easy to maintain. It's been one of those elusive things over the years, getting all of the muscle groups to fire at the right time - at some point when doing hill repeats last week, it suddenly all came together. The next trick is to be able to 'remember' how to do this when I'm tired, which is when I usually resort to mashing the pedals.

Only eight hours of saddle time last week, which is disappointing, but I lost a stack of time in driving out to my chosen hill. In return for the lack of time, I ended up with one of the toughest training weeks ever in terms of intensity & HR.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:15 pm

Your not pulling up on the pedals again are you ;-) .
Day off for me... Cooled myself yesterday after hammering a 10 minute climb ( for the kom of course )... 9% av ... Only to realize later that even though I got the kom I was doing an extra 400meters!... Doh. After that had some Spanish limpet jump on my wheel which was fine to start with but after 20 minutes it got annoying and I dropped him with considerable difficulty ( I am too good a wheel to follow ! )... After that I really suffered ... Spinning out in the 53/11 was fun though at close to 80, 40 av for the last 30minutes turned me inside out even though the terrain helped.
Another 4 days hard coming up before the 10 hour drive Saturday kills my legs again... The onto the tt rig for a few weeks :-) .
All these sore muscles and fatigue better pay off in a 3-4 weeks time!.

vander

Postby vander » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:27 pm

twizzle wrote:Finally got my pedal stroke to come good... 300 - 350W suddenly got easy to maintain. It's been one of those elusive things over the years, getting all of the muscle groups to fire at the right time - at some point when doing hill repeats last week, it suddenly all came together. The next trick is to be able to 'remember' how to do this when I'm tired, which is when I usually resort to mashing the pedals.

Only eight hours of saddle time last week, which is disappointing, but I lost a stack of time in driving out to my chosen hill. In return for the lack of time, I ended up with one of the toughest training weeks ever in terms of intensity & HR.
What is your tip for getting your peddling right I know mine is horrible.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:40 pm

vander wrote:
twizzle wrote:Finally got my pedal stroke to come good... 300 - 350W suddenly got easy to maintain. It's been one of those elusive things over the years, getting all of the muscle groups to fire at the right time - at some point when doing hill repeats last week, it suddenly all came together. The next trick is to be able to 'remember' how to do this when I'm tired, which is when I usually resort to mashing the pedals.

What is your tip for getting your peddling right I know mine is horrible.
Not a clue, but the quads are now working from just prior to TDC and the "active" part of the pedal stroke is longer than it was before, meaning I don't have to drive the pedal as hard to make the same power. But I have no idea how/why... I'd had rides in the past where I could do this, but then the next time I rode it was be gone again.

Peacewise

Postby Peacewise » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:11 pm

First ride since flu hit, just a 10 km spin to see how i feel.
Feel fine, not 100% yet, not even close but yippy back in the saddle.
Those new campy gemini thermo bib tights are brilliant, warmest legs ive had all day!
Keep flexing, spinning, rolling, coasting, pushing, pulling, drafting, sprinting, time trialling, touring, climbing, descending, hot dogging, crit-ing, racing, weaving, dodging, dropping, tanking, chasing... but most of all - just keep f'ing riding!

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:38 pm

First ride for me today after coughing up bits of lung for a week. 40km, crap speed, but better than expected. Cool air was a trial, can't wait for spring.
I had planned to do an Audax ride in spring, but that won't be happening.
You have officially become your parents.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:50 pm

Doing super hard climbs at 7am after 10 minutes warm up just isn't my thing!... Turns my legs to jelly!. The sunrise over the Med was beautiful though... Plus leaving my two full bidons at the bottom probably made it easier!.
Really want to hit the big hills once but they all add up to 150km plus rides and as the sun only rises at 7am I can't really swing it on a family holiday!... And it is just too hot for me after 10am.
Hopefully the weight is still dropping... Food here is too good!.
Riding early mornings just isn't my thing!!!.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:35 pm

I needed the car at lunchtime today, so packed it last night and drove to the hill this morning.... no gloves. 50 minutes of wasted time & petrol, no exercise. :evil:

steve-waters

Postby steve-waters » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:21 pm

????? - you did not ride cause you had no gloves?

Where you live Twizzle North Pole?
Roadie:Merida Scultura Team 2017 Lintaman shoes mid-foot SpeedPlays
MTB:TWE 29er, Fox Terralogic, XT, 3T and TWE wheels

skull

Postby skull » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:25 pm

Canberra minus 3 this morning I think.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:20 pm

skull wrote:Canberra minus 3 this morning I think.
Got down to -4.6 at Tuggeranong, was probably around zero at Stromlo. No hands, no brakes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:55 pm

Was -5.5 at Tug when I left for training this morning.

I hate the cold it makes interval effort so hard. For some reason as soon as it goes below 0 I just can seem to make sufficient power to maintain threshold for any longer then 5-6 minutes.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

Le Velo

Postby Le Velo » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:26 pm

Worse training ever today ... Temp dropped down to 3.6 at 5:30am. Went out to do a few laps at muzz but could not warm up properly, cardio was high and left ITB very tight and vastus really hurting from a big weight session on Monday 150 reps @300kg ...ouch ..., Rest needed for a couple of days me thinks :shock:

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:30 pm

35 to 40 c here... Bit too hot for me.
Not getting many ( any ) TT efforts done but having fun exploring the countryside. Strava is great for hunting out the climbs!... KOM competition isn't too tough though... But I keep getting guys jump on my wheel and sitting there and not coming round to help, which of course means I have to drop them and then work hard to stay away!... All good training!.

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:30 pm

75km today, went well on the flat, but died on the hills. Was a little cool, but I rugged up well. Wary of getting my lungs cold at present. I'm glad I'm not training in below zero conditions. I would not cope with that at present.
You have officially become your parents.