The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

Ken Ho

Re: The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc

Postby Ken Ho » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:27 pm

It was cancelled from June :( ; we were told it was a right off for this year at least.
Would love to hear back from you asap. Thanks.
Is there a formal event ? I was just using it as slang to describe to the route. That job has fallen through anyway, so unless something else crops up, I won't be up that way until the IM next year, if I decide to enter.
You have officially become your parents.

stinhambo

Postby stinhambo » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:19 pm

Cairns cycling cub's website is woeful but here are some details of previous events.

http://www.qld.cycling.org.au/?Page=37899

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:36 pm

Off-road 50-odd km today. Quarry Climb at Cascades got the better of me ... had to get off and walk one of the water bar pinches. Gonna be sore tomorrow. :lol:

stinhambo

Postby stinhambo » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:16 pm

Did another 60km cycle today on the north side of Cairns. I managed to climb all the way where I had walked a couple of weeks ago so there is progress!

I decided to stand and attack the parts I struggled with last time rather than sit and spin. I'm sure it's the 1 kilo I lost since last week that's helped :D

Oh and I also neary clip stacked in front of a car which was a bit hairy...

Peacewise

Postby Peacewise » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:03 pm

Training today is a no cycling day.
Got squash practice instead. Hope this tiniest little niggle in the right knee is cool.

Hey, those Garm Edge800's are a pretty cool device, Will it facilitate my training being better? - time will tell.
Keep flexing, spinning, rolling, coasting, pushing, pulling, drafting, sprinting, time trialling, touring, climbing, descending, hot dogging, crit-ing, racing, weaving, dodging, dropping, tanking, chasing... but most of all - just keep f'ing riding!

ozstriker

Postby ozstriker » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:33 pm

God i am absolutely hopeless,

I thought i would go out the sarve for a light spin after a brutal interval sesh on sunday, for anyone that has done spinervals 9.0 will know what im talking about.

I got up the road and just had to put the hammer down, so anyway 30k's later i look down holy crap 30k average i am flying (well for me anyway) but the dream wasnt to be a couple of killer hills on the trip home killed my average down to 28.

Total 45k's

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:51 pm

gawd, just when I've got the window of opportunity to go do a 1hr ITT session, this
http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR663.loop.shtml

steve-waters

Postby steve-waters » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:18 pm

Hey sorry this is a few days behind the time but I just read a couple of posts about standing pedalling/sprinting and thought I would chime in - with my little knowledge.

There was mention of bent over rows but I (and if it was said forgive me) think one of the most important exercise is the dead-lift for stand-up pedalling - the ability to use your hips and truck to give you a solid pedalling platform is very important.

Watching some of the guys on beach road when they stand to pedal there is a massive amount of hip movement when they push the pedals down. The hips (or one hip) goes up too far up as they are pushing down on the pedals meaning they are losing efficiency and power - as they don't have the platform to resist the power going to the pedals it pushes them up.

If you want to learn and do some good exercises for stand up pedalling and sprinting check out James Wilson of MTB strength systems - yes I know MTB is not the same thing but he advocates and has design programs of exercise around creating stand up power, range of motion and body tension. If you are a gym goer his programs are probably some of the best to follow being either a roadie and MTB rider.

A good read for off bike training tips especially the stuff to cover range of motion.
Roadie:Merida Scultura Team 2017 Lintaman shoes mid-foot SpeedPlays
MTB:TWE 29er, Fox Terralogic, XT, 3T and TWE wheels

vander

Postby vander » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:35 pm

Futher to the point above. Squats and deadlifts the 2 best exercises period, if you are riding or not. These should be the first 2 exercises in your program.

steve-waters

Postby steve-waters » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:13 pm

Oh yea man - the squat!

The full one legged pistol squat is my ultimate aim.

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:15 pm

birriga hill repeats today, 715m of climbing in an hour :shock:
Cervelo R5
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2

Peacewise

Postby Peacewise » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:01 am

Down on the flat for a ride with a mate today, around Adelaide Metro.
Start at Norwood, Pt Adelaide, Glenelg, Marion, Holden Hill, Norwood + a few crit like laps to get up over the 100 km mark.

Yep that's the purple pinarello's first century ride.
Great day for riding here in SA.

Home made Lasgna for tea, according to the Edge800 (+Hr monitor) I burnt 2600 calories riding today. :shock:
Keep flexing, spinning, rolling, coasting, pushing, pulling, drafting, sprinting, time trialling, touring, climbing, descending, hot dogging, crit-ing, racing, weaving, dodging, dropping, tanking, chasing... but most of all - just keep f'ing riding!

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:55 pm

112km, 922m climbing including a cat 3 & cat 4 climb according to Strava chasing guys 1/3 of my age, 15 kgs lighter & 2 grades higher at least they waited at the top of the big climb, the coffee shop a little after the cat 4 and after the big descent for the mere mortals.

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:26 pm

Peacewise wrote:Home made Lasgna for tea, according to the Edge800 (+Hr monitor) I burnt 2600 calories riding today. :shock:
The Calorie estimate of the 800 is a lot better than the 500. However, 2600 for a flat 100km seems on the high side.
What was your average speed, and did you do much drafting? Be interested in your bodywt too if you are prepared to share.

Below is an energy expenditure estimate chart I use, based on analytic cycling's formula.
It excludes BMR, which is roughly an extra 2 Calories per km at 30kph.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:04 am

I finally got to ride hard yesterday... 60kms of a 90km ride on the front driving it along nicely, couldn't go too hard or I would have dropped my riding partner who had already done 70km before we started... The rest of the time was spent threading our way through Paris.
Time to get serious again!.

steve-waters

Postby steve-waters » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:45 am

I would not put too much faith in the calorie count of the devices - save for comparison between rides.

Peacewise

Postby Peacewise » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:25 pm

PawPaw.
My mass is 113 kg.
Our moving average was 23.8 kph.
I barely drafted at all, about a k or two.

I wore the HR monitor for 6.00 hours so the calorie count doesn't just cover the ride but includes the high intensity activity of drinking coffee.

Looks to me like that graph of yours and the garmin are in approximate agreement.

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:13 pm

Peacewise wrote:Looks to me like that graph of yours and the garmin are in approximate agreement.

Nah, the graph says a guy your weight averaging 25-ish (on a flattish course), burns an average of 15 Cals / km -> 15Cals * 100km = 1500 Calories....(in addition to BMR).

You might nudge it up a few Calories/km if stop and starting, and primarily headwinds.
Hills don't push Cals/km up as much as you'd think either because downhill freewheeling offsets climbing somewhat; and over a 100km ride, climbing would be a small % of total km's.

If you are unfit, you may have had a higher than average health HR, which could skew the Calorie expenditure estimate upwards.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:33 pm

Hmmm.... finally trying to get back some fitness after a couple of really crappy weeks and start planning some decent training.

So today I merged all of the power meter data into a single repository so I could look at my complete almost-three-years of data.

:( I was at my best in the Summer 2010-2011 season. Which co-incided when my 'race' powertap was playing up and I was training to a CP of 430W instead of the actual CP of 380W (at the time). My CTL ended up in the high 90's, and I had some damned good efforts at that time.

My CP is now down around 350W. I'm thinking I will be hitting the hills pretty hard in the next couple of months to try and get some fitness back. Oh, the shame...
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

stinhambo

Postby stinhambo » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:09 am

PawPaw wrote:
Peacewise wrote:Looks to me like that graph of yours and the garmin are in approximate agreement.

Nah, the graph says a guy your weight averaging 25-ish (on a flattish course), burns an average of 15 Cals / km -> 15Cals * 100km = 1500 Calories....(in addition to BMR).

You might nudge it up a few Calories/km if stop and starting, and primarily headwinds.
Hills don't push Cals/km up as much as you'd think either because downhill freewheeling offsets climbing somewhat; and over a 100km ride, climbing would be a small % of total km's.

If you are unfit, you may have had a higher than average health HR, which could skew the Calorie expenditure estimate upwards.
This will be in the front of my mind when I think about eating more than I normally do after a long ride.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:25 pm

Two days of hill repeats, woke up this morning to the sound of rain but still headed for the hill. But because I was slower on the descent, I didn't have enough time to do as many runs. However, according to "The Rules" - I am now officially a "badass".

Based on the efforts, my FTP is ~335W, down from ~ 360W back in January and from ~ 380W back in Jan 2011. The legs feel O.K., but the cardio can't drive them much harder. I also did a flat-out 2 minute effort at the end, and it was a good 20% down on what I was able to do back in November.

Easier breakfast ride tomorrow, Saturday will be stuck in a car doing a day trip to Sydney... more hills on Sunday. I might give Corin a shot - I'll just be really frikken careful on the descent given the likelyhood of frost & snow.

PawPaw

Postby PawPaw » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:46 pm

twizzle wrote:Based on the efforts, my FTP is ~335W, down from ~ 360W back in January and from ~ 380W back in Jan 2011. The legs feel O.K., but the cardio can't drive them much harder. I also did a flat-out 2 minute effort at the end, and it was a good 20% down on what I was able to do back in November.
380 to 335 is a big drop. I have the former ftp at 44kph and the latter at 42kph. If you can hold 42kph for an hour, that's serious stuff.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:10 pm

Back in to it... the last month has been fairly tame, only got to train hard for the 4 days I was at home in the middle of the TDF. So after nearly 4 days off the bike :shock: I finally got back on last night. Was going to do just a tempo ride but I went too far on the outward leg before realizing it gets dark here now at 9.30pm now!.... days are already getting shorter!. The ride home turned out to be very fast and hard... also showed me that I have lost quite a bit of form with all my exploring in the last month :| .

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:23 pm

PawPaw wrote:
twizzle wrote:Based on the efforts, my FTP is ~335W, down from ~ 360W back in January and from ~ 380W back in Jan 2011. The legs feel O.K., but the cardio can't drive them much harder. I also did a flat-out 2 minute effort at the end, and it was a good 20% down on what I was able to do back in November.
380 to 335 is a big drop. I have the former ftp at 44kph and the latter at 42kph. If you can hold 42kph for an hour, that's serious stuff.
Ah, but I'm also 6'3" and very broad. Back in Jan 2011, I could hold a 39kph average for 30 minutes in crits (on the front), and 42kph for about 10 minutes.

And 'Yes', a bloody big drop, but my ability to get out and do solid training has not been good in the last 18 months. At least I know I can improve!

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:52 am

80k's tonight... it is HOT, well 35 is hot for here!, put in a few long pulls on the front with the club run... legs turned to jelly after playing with the young fellas on the final run into town... after that it was a very casual solo run back home.
Been given a truck load of SIS products, seemed like a good night to try out the recovery powder ( followed by a Laksa ) ... and looks like storms for Saturday's race :D .
Also been given the link to the regional TT champs course http://www.openrunner.com/index.php?id=1781888 ... when you see a town with the word "Mur" in it you know you are in trouble... looks like a hard TT course, I need to finish in the top 6 to qualify for Nats... eek.
Been corrected by my wife... as it is "Mure" which means Blackberries instead of "Mur" which means wall :lol: .