The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

g-boaf

Re: The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc

Postby g-boaf » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:37 pm

I did 100km yesterday and 50km today. I'm starting to feel like my fitness is coming back to where it was. Took long enough.

I should have more high intensity 5x5s or 4x8s coming next week, hopefully can get a Z2 road-ride in maybe tomorrow night if it isn't too cold.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:24 pm

Got the weights done today, good grief it was a mixed bag. Been lifting 5x25 of 12kgs; 4x12 with 16 was damn hard work. Bit of a revelation hitting the 12kg for my clean then press, smashed it out 4x20. Much easier than I expected it to be. Pushups continue to humiliate. Oh well. Got a while to improve ;)

Cul

Postby Cul » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:24 pm

Xplora wrote:Got the weights done today, good grief it was a mixed bag. Been lifting 5x25 of 12kgs; 4x12 with 16 was damn hard work. Bit of a revelation hitting the 12kg for my clean then press, smashed it out 4x20. Much easier than I expected it to be. Pushups continue to humiliate. Oh well. Got a while to improve ;)
Bro, do you even ride? :!:
My Training & Racing Blog: http://mountainbikemediocrity.wordpress.com
Fuelled By: Pro4mance

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:15 pm

Right now, not much. Should get in 1400-1500m vertical on Wednesday if it doesn't rain. Life has been excessively complicated for quite a while - but when life gives you lemons, you make lemonade. 8)

Cul

Postby Cul » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:58 pm

Xplora wrote:But when life gives you lemons, you make lemonade. 8)
Or suck on it after licking the salt from your wounds and slamming down a tequila. 8) 8) 8)

Hopped on the trainer this evening for 4 x [6 x 30sec on / 15sec off] Z6/7 goodness! :?

My legs are buzzing now, but I can't help feeling I didn't go hard enough :|

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:36 pm

Xplora wrote:Right now, not much. Should get in 1400-1500m vertical on Wednesday if it doesn't rain. Life has been excessively complicated for quite a while - but when life gives you lemons, you make lemonade. 8)
I'd like to do at least that sort of elevation myself - too lazy and too scared of the cold weather. :oops:

I have a rest day today, but I wanted to get out on the bike, so I just did about 21km in roughly 35min. The empty local cycleway thanks to the evening chill is quite useful for that. Everyone else bar a few cycle-commuters is hiding indoors. Rest of the week has sprint efforts and and 5x5s at 110rpm.
Cul wrote:and slamming down a tequila. 8) 8) 8)
Drink doesn't help all that much.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:46 am

Did some static work with the kettlebells yesterday morning (just holding it above my head and walking 20m) and followed up with a Bubbler run in the evening. I'm SOOOOO cooked, and chasing the group after being late with 70m gap for 10kms didn't help... a few guys got 50+ trophies on Strava so I don't feel so bad, but let it never be said that weights doesn't help your riding. Brute horsepower I was killing it. Shame that the cardio doesn't exist ;)

Cul

Postby Cul » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:12 am

Jumped on the trainer again last night for more Vo2 work - this time 5 x 3mins with equal rest.

In the past I had been doing these intervals with only .5 work/rest ratio (3mins work with 1:30min rest) which usually resulted in these intervals being around 108-110% of FTP but still feeling like you would die after the last set. With the longer rest period intervals were done at 112-115% of FTP although harder work, seemed more sustainable at the time... But fark I am feeling it today!

2hrs Z2 ride today.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:48 am

It's surprising how much a really high intensity effort hurts the next day. I really suffered yesterday. It was 10x 1min 80%-120+1min@120%. Not enough sleep and the ride the previous night was a really bad idea.
Xplora wrote:but let it never be said that weights doesn't help your riding. Brute horsepower I was killing it.
It did look like a fast ride from what I saw. I haven't done any weights so far - but I'm going to start including plyometrics 1 day a week.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:51 pm

boaf, I reckon the protocol of lots of weights while you are base building makes sense - you're basically doing the hard intervals lifting instead of on the bike. If you could sneak in 2-3 sessions for a month or two, gradually building up, you could just use the single session as a maintenance session. Hopefully faster to get out of the gym too!

Today's climbing day killed me. 3 stops. I've got to get my quads sorted, couldn't maintain the rage. :(

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:03 pm

I've got weights at home, I hate gyms. :twisted: I'll definitely give it a go. :)

Anyhow - did some intervals (30sec at 125%) with 2:30sec efforts (105% at 95rpm) mixed in
Something went odd with the recording so the numbers look wrong on PerfPro - but I know from watching the screen I was going well today. 8) FTP setting at 295.

Edit: hmm, numbers on Strava look correct (that's good).

https://www.strava.com/activities/169673574" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Little by little clawing things back. :)
Last edited by g-boaf on Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:25 pm

I wouldn't question 300w FTP for you, big guy... you don't apply the blowtorch to segments much and you've had time off racing. You know they'll boot you out of C grade, right? :lol: Let me know when you're racing next at Dunc Grey. Will try and bring the boys down for some fish and chips :)

leximack

Postby leximack » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:16 pm

howdy all, thought i would pop in and see what your all doing, but sadly lost interest real quickly when i realised i still have no idea what your talking about :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: , but anyway seems like your having fun, thats the main thing.
I have been sick for nearly 2 weeks but this week rode really fast on tuesday night with the trek guys and tonight really fast ITT and then back with the kz guys.
Funny thing is i was faster on the bubbler run tonight by myself then with the group on tuesday night :shock: :shock:
33min 16sec (AT) 34.7avg on tuesday in a group of 10
32min 46sec (AT) 35.2avg tonight in TT mode
I guess i was really bludging on tuesday night :lol: :lol:

Anyway, as you were :D :D

Don

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:47 pm

Just needed to get the aero position tuned a bit more :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Last edited by Xplora on Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:39 am

leximack wrote:howdy all, thought i would pop in and see what your all doing, but sadly lost interest real quickly when i realised i still have no idea what your talking about :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: , but anyway seems like your having fun, thats the main thing.
I have been sick for nearly 2 weeks but this week rode really fast on tuesday night with the trek guys and tonight really fast ITT and then back with the kz guys.
Funny thing is i was faster on the bubbler run tonight by myself then with the group on tuesday night :shock: :shock:
33min 16sec (AT) 34.7avg on tuesday in a group of 10
32min 46sec (AT) 35.2avg tonight in TT mode
I guess i was really bludging on tuesday night :lol: :lol:

Anyway, as you were :D :D

Don
35.2! :shock: I'll have to shuffle things around and drag myself out there on Tuesday nights - dark and cold be damned! :) 33.2 is my best on my own, sniffling and wheezing the whole way on that night.

Le Mong

Postby Le Mong » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:54 am

Finding time to ride at the moment just isn't happening. Havent even had the time to use the kickr.. I need to make a plan of quick indoor sessions that I can slot into my days.

Most recent effort
http://app.strava.com/activities/168802613" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:44 am

Very nice average!

Le Mong

Postby Le Mong » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:51 am

I like doing that run solo. I can smash myself as hard as I like and not have to worry about others keeping up :)

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:02 pm

Had a chat to Margaret (Steve Hogg's wife and one of the best kept secrets in cycling) and chopped up a foam mat to make a heel wedge. Should have done it a year ago. Free :)

Just finished up my second 4x12 workout after death on Wednesday. Recoveries a bit quicker, had the HR on as well to make sure I got under 100bpm before having another go. Upper body strength is slowly getting there. The wedge did the trick on the lower body as well, could feel my right leg TRYING. Will have to be careful, fortunately a rainy weekend and a 4 year olds birthday party helps keep things under control training wise ;)

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:34 pm

i've just discovered ergos. have joined a weekly session run by my club. did 3 x 10min tempo last night, which was really tough after staying up to watch the Tour stage on telly 8)

i've always resisted ergos as to me - cycling is about getting out in the open air, but everyone says it works so i'm considering buying one. i feel a bit like Bob Dylan releasing his first album with electric guitar.

Le Mong

Postby Le Mong » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:56 pm

Kickr, ant+2 dongle and trainer road. You wont regret it.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:02 pm

jules21 wrote:i've just discovered ergos. have joined a weekly session run by my club. did 3 x 10min tempo last night, which was really tough after staying up to watch the Tour stage on telly 8)

i've always resisted ergos as to me - cycling is about getting out in the open air, but everyone says it works so i'm considering buying one. i feel a bit like Bob Dylan releasing his first album with electric guitar.
Yeah, they work. You can get good uninterrupted workouts. Get yourself a nice industrial fan - you'll need it. 45min in Athlete Lab Sydney has me drowned in sweat.

Tarquin

Postby Tarquin » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:58 pm

No Friday bunch because I'm too soft.

Got up sat down check weather, big cloud of rain showing. Open door to have a look when it's arriving as I can't hear rain.

Monsoon about 50m from my door amid huge thunder.

Close door and go back to bed... :(

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:28 pm

3rd Max Transition workout today, and did 30 minutes on Hugh Stone's trainer having a play around with TrainerRoad's virtual power, comparing it to my SRM. I think we had some calibration and slope issues but we got reasonable results around the 300-320W mark - that's what most people really want their trainer for. Interesting stuff.

Rex

Postby Rex » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:16 am

Saturdays bunch ride was quite tame.... only 6 of the usual 30+ turned up! Still got to stretch my legs out which is what I needed since i hadn't been on the road in 2 weeks.
I've been on the trainer doing a TrainerRoad program every 2nd night otherwise, and had to dig deep to find the motivation to jump on it again lastnight.
Very glad I did, smashed out some V02Max work and the new routine is working out great.