The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

1q2w3e4r

Re: The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

Postby 1q2w3e4r » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:08 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:Well after a frustrating few weeks of illness and injury, and rain again threatening, I took myself to the velodrome today for a roll on the track and a few flying 500m efforts behind the boys. Felt pretty good but was getting a bit tailed off by a length or so in the acceleration to 61km/h and 145 rpm :lol:

Nice to feel like I can ride without feeling like poo.

I've got 30 weeks to nationals.
Wow. That's fast! :)

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:13 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:My coach :wink: doesn't want to read this
That "Powertap in for service" is just a cunning ploy to hide what you've really been up to :lol:
Enjoy it.
:lol: ...hmmm..good timing for a malfunction!.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:44 pm

I was sensible for once :roll: ...woke up this morning planning to race...normally waking up to rain and wind would have a big smile on my face!...but today I made the sensible decision not to race.My legs are not recovered from Saturdays big climb fest so I decided to have an easy day.....I must be getting old!.
Looking at my PMC it isn't a big surprise...coach knows I haven't exactly been on program this month...but I don't get mates visiting very often and of course they want alpine climbing on the menu!...that and the fact that they are riding stronger than you have ever seen them do in a long time!.
Back on schedule around the 27th!...abou when I should have a working power meter back! :roll: .

1q2w3e4r

Postby 1q2w3e4r » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:32 pm

I have now entered the business end of my training program, today was 2 x 15 minute Threshold tolerance intervals, these went quite well. I had a bit of trouble mentally staying in the game with the second interval but rode within the specified zone. I felt much better doing these than when I first started doing them about 3 months ago.

Most satisfying however was doing the Akuna Bay/ West Head ride on Sunday and even at a cruising pace up the hills riding away from my mates who normally put me in the hurt box around this time each year as I start to get back in shape for summer. The added fact I cruised up the climbs comfortably around 1:30-1:40 behind my PB for the Akuna East climb while riding with them for the most part of the climb at their pace until they fell away and they were between 30 seconds and 1 minute behind me at the top bodes well as we all start to do more group rides together.

Ant.

Postby Ant. » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:48 pm

Well, finally got my TT bike back!!! Rode an ordinary time trial on the weekend.. hmm. Incredibly disheartening to manage 2x20s at 300/301W on the road bike, and then back it up with a TT lasting all of 26mins at a whopping 271W AP. Oh well. Time to log some training time on the P3 I think.
Cervélo R3
Cervélo P3C
BT Blade

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:56 am

After 3 weeks off the bike due to pneumonia and lung infections and all nastiness, I got back on yesterday for a 46k ride, 2hrs flat, the last 15ks I rode in 29mins avg speed 31.03kmh which hurt. I tried to keep within Zone 1 and Zone 3/4 on the hills. I wanted to keep a steady pace on the out leg without going too hard trying to ease myself back into it. Next four weeks is getting my endurance and cardio back.

8th August there is a 14k or 20k TT i'm interested in racing in.......

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:37 am

toolonglegs wrote:I was sensible for once
:shock:
toolonglegs wrote:Image
Interesting that you chose to plot kJ instead of TSS on that chart.

Nothing wrong with that of course, although it is TSS that drives the CTL/ATL/TSB lines.

Here's an item on kJ v TSS:
http://alex-cycle.blogspot.com/2006/12/tss-vs-kj.html

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:30 pm

Yup that makes more sense...I was only doing it so I could see easily what days I rode and roughly how much but TSS works out better...ta.
Also when I say I was sensible for once :lol: ....yup it takes a lot to drag me away from a race....but yesterday I made the right choice....still feeling like I have been hit by a battering ram!.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:53 pm

Today was a loop out to and around the back of Cronulla. Nice day for it :)

A 2:20 ride with an IF 0.76, 134 TSS, legs felt great. Maybe my FTP is a little under what I have it set to (275W) so perhaps my real IF/TSS are a little more than that but no big deal, I know my data/body pretty well.

Starting to feel like a bike rider again. 4 days in a row and 5 out of last 6 days. Rest tomorrow.

Have been riding my new bike leg socket. Not quite finished but having a special cleat adapter component made at the moment so I'm able to use it while waiting for that. Then I give it back to my prosthetics guy so we can design the CF aerofoil. It's been soooo good to simply be able to step/click out of a walking leg and into a bike leg (and vice versa) rather than having to unscrew/screw attachments off/on. It's basically like swapping shoes now, but quicker :D

Ant.

Postby Ant. » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:58 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:Have been riding my new bike leg socket. Not quite finished but having a special cleat adapter component made at the moment so I'm able to use it while waiting for that. Then I give it back to my prosthetics guy so we can design the CF aerofoil. It's been soooo good to simply be able to step/click out of a walking leg and into a bike leg (and vice versa) rather than having to unscrew/screw attachments off/on. It's basically like swapping shoes now, but quicker :D
Excellent! Very good news.
I've been wondering about this actually.
Cervélo R3
Cervélo P3C
BT Blade

Ant.

Postby Ant. » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:36 pm

2x20's (love these training sessions!) on the TT bike today, followed by a steady ride. 278W and 273W. To be honest, I'm a little disheartened by the power, knowing I can unleash another ~25W more on my roadie, but oh well. Time to persist.
Cervélo R3
Cervélo P3C
BT Blade

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:55 pm

First week back on the bike after illness and I am feeling pretty good. Still slightly coughing, I am sure some minor damage to my lungs. 128.92kms this week, with a Saturday ride planned.

This morning I did a 10.85K TT and completed in 29mins 19 seconds, including lights, gates and rolling small hills, avg Speed: 31.89kmh.

I am looking at a new bike, measured for me with better gearing to suit me which will improve my riding.

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:42 pm

Ant. wrote:2x20's (love these training sessions!) on the TT bike today, followed by a steady ride. 278W and 273W. To be honest, I'm a little disheartened by the power, knowing I can unleash another ~25W more on my roadie, but oh well. Time to persist.
Seems a big difference?

Not a fan of interval days myself, I'm doing 1 x 20mins and 5-6 x 5mins at the moment. Prefer the 2-3 hour rides with a block of MIET or a good LR plodding through the hills enjoying the scenery :lol:

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:42 pm

Yesterday I didn't have a lot of time so a short session on Thunderbird 7* which was basically warm up followed by 4 x 5-min threshold tolerance intervals. Nothing overly hard.
Today I did a 2hr ET ride to LaPerouse, breakwater, Foreshore etc.

This next block is basically mostly about getting time in saddle, lots of Level 1 time, sprints and some more 5-min TTIs.

* T7 is my indoor ergobike:
Last edited by Alex Simmons/RST on Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ant.

Postby Ant. » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:44 pm

Deanj wrote:
Ant. wrote:2x20's (love these training sessions!) on the TT bike today, followed by a steady ride. 278W and 273W. To be honest, I'm a little disheartened by the power, knowing I can unleash another ~25W more on my roadie, but oh well. Time to persist.
Seems a big difference?

Not a fan of interval days myself, I'm doing 1 x 20mins and 5-6 x 5mins at the moment. Prefer the 2-3 hour rides with a block of MIET or a good LR plodding through the hills enjoying the scenery :lol:
Yeah, 8 or 9% or thereabouts; there never used to be a power difference (was racing on it weekly), but have been off it for a few months, so it's to be expected really, especially since I'm not exactly propped up like an age grouper triathlete. MIETs will be done on the TT bike for the next little while. I'm inclined to think I should do more riding on the TT bike, but Ric knows best.

Typical mountain biker, hatin on the way of the time trialler :lol:
Cervélo R3
Cervélo P3C
BT Blade

Ant.

Postby Ant. » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:47 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:Yesterday I didn't have a lot of time so a short session on Thuderbird 7* which was basically warm up followed by 4 x 5-min threshold tolerance intervals. Nothing overly hard.
Today I did a 2hr ET ride to LaPerouse, breakwater, Foreshore etc.

This next block is basically mostly about getting time in saddle, lots of Level 1 time, sprints and some more 5-min TTIs.

* T7 is my indoor ergobike:
And 1 Bont!!

But that's one more than I'm able to extract out of Steve Hogg it would seem.
Cervélo R3
Cervélo P3C
BT Blade

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:28 pm

Ant. wrote: And 1 Bont!!

I have a brand new size 44 left if interested :lol:
What's the problem?

Disclaimer: I am sponsored by Bont

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:47 am

Raced today...felt good but not strong enough for a win....got caught up in a big crash in the sprint but stayed up right...need some hard riding before mondays 172.5k slug fest...maybe resting would have been better but I do feel great after a race.Lazy day hopefully tommorow and then Ventoux on Monday.
On the way home I motorpaced my Sydney visitor behind the car...he sat in the high 50's for a bloody long time...I was impressed.He is going to smash me to bits Monday :roll: .
Still no word on Powermeter!.

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:47 pm

Out for a ride this morning. Went with two blokes who race, ride out was fairly casual sitting on 28-32kmh. I did a lot of the pace setting. I wasn't in the right gear for ten mile hill and they put 20 metres into to me and I couldn't get them back. Caught them on the descent though, up Cadbury's I lead out I know Cadbury's really well, they steamed past me but I kept on their wheel and with 30metres to the finish they had gone to early and I sprinted up between them to get the points. All in all 57.3kmh ride Avg 27kmh, Cadence 72, 2hrs 8mins. I am feeling better every time I ride. In another 3 weeks when I start with Alex I will be ready!!

Ant.

Postby Ant. » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:25 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
Ant. wrote: And 1 Bont!!

I have a brand new size 44 left if interested :lol:
What's the problem?

Disclaimer: I am sponsored by Bont
:lol: I think I'll give that a miss.

Ah he must check his email once a fortnight or something. Took a long time to get things moving, sent him my feet tracings a fortnight ago, still waiting to hear what happens next (the part where I pay).
Cervélo R3
Cervélo P3C
BT Blade

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:53 am

Did it :roll: ...finished the etape du tour today.Totally over estimated Ventoux :lol: ....I was feeling good at the 151km mark with a 31 average with 2200mts of climbing.I was feeling good up the early slopes of Ventoux and then I blew!...I had under eaten even thou I had eaten non stop since the start.I also ran out of water 3kms before the mid climb refill...it was 32-33 degrees which is very hot for me....so I took 2 and a half hours to climb ventoux....oh well I enjoyed myself immensely and had no real problems body wise although I will be very tired for a few days.So 7.5hours on the dot for 170.2km with 3500m climbing..nice day in the saddle.
..and the pain I saw on many many people today was frightning.....cramps like you would not believe and by the hundreds! :shock:

Stats... 7.29.58 hours.Vetoux climb 2.33.09 :oops: (thats what 97.5kgs of hungry body does to you!).23 something av. 2123rd out of 9500...hmmm imagine what I could do 10kgs lighter :roll:

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:38 am

toolonglegs wrote:Did it
Nice work. Those are epic days.

Hebden

Postby Hebden » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:09 pm

I read a bit about Ventoux just yesterday. 2h33m is very respectable at the end of a ride like that, especially for a 97kg diesel. Well done!

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:39 pm

Hebden wrote: especially for a 97kg diesel. Well done!
TDi :wink:

Good work.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:53 pm

Pretty tired today :lol: ...funny that!...but will be back on the bike (for a very light roll in a day or two).
I would have been much happier with under 2 hours up Ventoux but wasn't to be....now if the sun had dissapeared and a shower or two come over it would have been a different story!.