The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

dalai47

Re: The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc

Postby dalai47 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:03 pm

Threepeat of Mt Donna Buang Saturday - 103km - 50.4km climbing @6.4% average - 3240m vertical

Summit 4 degrees Celsius and a bitterly cold wind – top of the third repeat late in the day.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:18 pm

Awesome :shock:

kb

Postby kb » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:59 am

dalai47 wrote:Threepeat of Mt Donna Buang Saturday - 103km - 50.4km climbing @6.4% average - 3240m vertical

Summit 4 degrees Celsius and a bitterly cold wind – top of the third repeat late in the day.

Well done! I tried that with a friend a few weeks ago and we called it quits after freezing on the 2nd descent.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:25 am

It is cold up there at the moment!

On top of carrying up a waterproof Jacket and Gillet, for winter ascents I also take up a pair of light plastic overpants in a cut off bidon. Since I refill the one bidon each lap at the Spring at the 10 Mile Turntable on the way down, I only carry the one bottle of fluid on the climb leaving the second cage free.

I find wearing the plastic pants helps reduce the chill on the legs and therefore handle the following ascent better.

Hitting Mt Buller this weekend for more of the same. Except it is forecast for snow showers and max 0 degrees! :shock:

kb

Postby kb » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:49 pm

Some good ideas. Thanks.

Snowing would be harsh. I had my first crack at Baw Baw last week and the conditions were perfect. A touch of snow but none on the road. Average 5° (compared to 1.9° on my last Donna trip).

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:07 pm

Well done kb! I still have to ride Baw Baw...

If they don't let me through the entrance to ride repeats of Buller, I will most probably drive to Whitfield and ride the Whitfield climb instead. Unfortunately it is shorter and not as steep 11km at 4.5% - but as it tops out at under 700m at least it will only be rain and not snow I'll deal with.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:41 pm

dalai47 wrote:Threepeat of Mt Donna Buang Saturday - 103km - 50.4km climbing @6.4% average - 3240m vertical

Well done! :shock:

I've not been on the bike properly since last Saturday. Caught a bad cold.

I did try a short ride Wednesday afternoon - but only after 10km I gave it up. Feeling like I was going to cough my lungs up wasn't nice. :( They finally decided to put me on some antibiotics and I'm startling to feel a bit less congested.

Hoping to go out tomorrow on the M7 and make up for the lack of riding.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:54 am

Saturday 100km ~45km climbing

My wife went up the road earlier in the morning for work on the Saturday and I got the call the road was mostly clear other than slushy in the last kilometres to the village. So I decided to ride Mt Buller regardless the weather forecast and the rain fronts sweeping through.

At the entrance I was waved to the counter and was told I could continue as long as I could answer a question - how do the riders in the tdf go for a toilet stop? She was planning on phoning Simon's Gerran's mum to ask! :lol: Made it to 8 1/2 km up where chains had to be fitted - asked the worker if I was allowed to continue. His answer that I can't stop and fit chains anyway... So onwards into to the slush and rain now falling as snow. If I was only riding uphill and didn't have to descend I would have gone on. As I had to come down I decided finally to pull the pin and turn around at Andrew's carpark.

Very tentative descent back to the entrance. Any sane person would have returned to his accommodation and soak in the spa tub, obviously I am not sane...

Wasn't able to ride a threepeat in the end as I couldn't get to the village, so instead ended with four slightly shorter repeats; the last three laps turning around a little lower at Box Corner ~11km up the hill. To here was only a couple of kilometers of slush and snow to ride through.

Sunday 82km

Learn't the hard way that it really depends on the day and who is working at the entrance if you are allowed on the Mountain. Sunday cars weren't having to fit chains, weather was looking a little better so was keen on another couple of laps but I was stopped! Reason given is that once the toll opens, VicRoads hand control of the road to the resort and although not mentioned anywhere that bikes are banned we are a hazard with numerous buses and inexperienced drivers making their way up the mountain.

So instead of being passed by cars going under 60km/hr, I turned around and rode to Mansfield return plus a side out and back up towards Tolmie on 100 km/hr roads... :roll:

Support for local lad Simon Gerran's

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:58 pm

Another threepeat of Mt Donna Buang yesterday ; getting nearly all three laps before the forecast rain came through… 110km 50.4km climbing 6.4% ave.

Was a much milder this time - min was a balmy 7 degrees celcius at the summit...

kb

Postby kb » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:19 am

3x here too. Caught quite a bit of rain and gusty wind though. Followed it up by riding back home to Blackburn. Rather slowly :-)

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:53 am

Was that Saturday or Sunday? As there was only one other rider on the Mountain Saturday when I was there...

kb

Postby kb » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:29 am

Ah that explains it. Sunday with the Hells*500 nutters. (Not crazy myself, just easily led astray ;-) )

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:32 pm

Saw the forecast plus as I like to suffer in silence decided on riding Saturday...

Crunchy_NuT

Postby Crunchy_NuT » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:12 pm

nice inspiring thread here

I get home from work and there is not much daylight left, I live on the Princes Hwy, weekdays I use indoor trainer (yep I pull my hair out)

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:34 pm

Yay - I finally rode the bike again. Motivation has been lacking.
31.5km to work in light rain, except the two occasions when it poured for about 30 seconds a time... and no punctures.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:29 am

Haven't ridden my bike since Sunday due to a mechanical. :( Longest time I've had off the bike in years. Waiting on part to arrive and my mechanic to return from holidays.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:32 am

Ross wrote:Haven't ridden my bike since Sunday due to a mechanical.
The benefit of having more than one bike means you can just unrack another bike... :wink:

Another Wednesday night threepeat of the 1 in 20 climb. All Zone 4, cranking up the Watts each lap to negative split each one.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:00 am

dalai47 wrote:
The benefit of having more than one bike means you can just unrack another bike... :wink:

Another Wednesday night threepeat of the 1 in 20 climb. All Zone 4, cranking up the Watts each lap to negative split each one.
He does.

Ross - what happened to your bike collection?

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:06 pm

Ross wrote:Haven't ridden my bike since Sunday due to a mechanical. :( Longest time I've had off the bike in years. Waiting on part to arrive and my mechanic to return from holidays.
Just more ammo for my belief that electronic group sets are a solution to a non problem

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 4 Beta
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

kb

Postby kb » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:17 am

dalai47 wrote:

What's that give you elevation-wise? Sunday was my biggest ride ever and I still felt great on Monday but woke up with a cricked neck on Tuesday and haven't been able to ride (or do much of anything since). Hoping to be able to finish off the Rapha Rising challenge and I may just be up to gentle 1:20s by tomorrow :-)

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:45 am

According to Strava elevation gain per lap is 276m. If you continue up to Olinda and then Range rd you should get closer to 10km and 400m elevation gain per lap (couldn't find a segment for this - closest was 1 in 20 to Haunted House).

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:49 pm

jcjordan wrote:
Ross wrote:Haven't ridden my bike since Sunday due to a mechanical. :( Longest time I've had off the bike in years. Waiting on part to arrive and my mechanic to return from holidays.
Just more ammo for my belief that electronic group sets are a solution to a non problem

Says the guy posting on the forum with his smart phone...

The problem is nothing to do with Di2, would of happened with any mechanical derailleur including but not restricted to SRAM/Campagnolo/Shimano. The sensor magnet came off my Quarq and attached itself to the chain and went through the rear derailleur causing it to twist and shear off.

Now got bike fixed but it's too wet to ride now. :(

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:59 pm

twizzle wrote:
dalai47 wrote:

He does.

Ross - what happened to your bike collection?
I also have a race bike that runs tubular carbon wheels and a TT bike that also runs carbon tubular wheels (disc wheel on rear), neither of which are suitable for training or commuting. To change wheels from carbon to alloy involves changing and adjusting the brake pads (a bit difficult on TT bike as rear brake caliper is under chainstay near BB) and also adjusting the gears. I'm not good with mechanical issues on bikes and don't really have the facilities to do them even if I wanted to.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:33 pm

It's O.K. Ross - the weather was crap anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:20 pm

Ross wrote:

Says the guy posting on the forum with his smart phone...
Was not meaning the cause of the failure but the cost and time to get the problem fixed.

James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home