The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

Xplora

Re: The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc

Postby Xplora » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:27 pm

:O Actually hit my FTP figures for a 4x1+3x10 Z4 session tonight. Quite surprised because I felt like I was flaking badly. Huzzah! The zone % looks like I wanted to do a Z4 day :shock: survived the new FTP figure as well, didn't expect that either. Huzzah!

Cul

Postby Cul » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:54 pm

Xplora wrote::O Actually hit my FTP figures for a 4x1+3x10 Z4 session tonight. Quite surprised because I felt like I was flaking badly. Huzzah! The zone % looks like I wanted to do a Z4 day :shock: survived the new FTP figure as well, didn't expect that either. Huzzah!
I love that feeling!!!

I had one of those experiences just the other day - went out to do some hill repeats after a bunchie because it wasn't “hard” enough... The first repeat of the 4min climb felt absolute rubbish, my legs and lungs were screaming the whole 4 Miniutes, then I had a crack at a smaller but steeper 2min climb followed by a few more reps of the 4 min climb before heading home.

I get home, log into “Strava” to discover I beat my previous best time set two weeks ago on the 4min climb by 11sec, somehow picked up 4 seconds on the 2min climb and scored myself a KOM!

Anyways…

Today was 2 x 30min tempo, got out early to beat the heat, pretty solid session!

Tomorrow 45min Crit (B Grade)

Sunday maybe 45min Crit (B Grade) at a different bigger club.
My Training & Racing Blog: http://mountainbikemediocrity.wordpress.com
Fuelled By: Pro4mance

Le Mong

Postby Le Mong » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:00 pm

This was a good push after 4 weeks sick.

Now to loose 5-7kg

FTP should have been pushing 320w before I got sick so will have to build back into it and test later in the month.

http://app.strava.com/activities/111638859" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:10 pm

Xplora... first one looked good, started to get harder after that :P .
Le Mong ... 4 weeks sick :shock: .
I had 6 days off... luckily no fever as that always hurts. 4th day back and I still feel it... might take it easy today :roll: .

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:24 pm

LOL yeah I was not functional, I reckon the standing 4-8 reps kept things going. The second 10 was certainly the lowest, and despite a bunch of standing reps in the 3rd set I still didn't manage the same power as the first. Then again, very much preferred to failing like I have previously... punched out 20W better than the 3x10 I did a while ago :D

Le Mong

Postby Le Mong » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:31 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Xplora... first one looked good, started to get harder after that :P .
Le Mong ... 4 weeks sick :shock: .
I had 6 days off... luckily no fever as that always hurts. 4th day back and I still feel it... might take it easy today :roll: .
Caught that horid flu in the middle of a bunch of FTP days and took 4 weeks to stop coughing crap up.

Did one training session indoors 2 weeks into being sick. Threw up. Then did a 30km rod ride early last week and still felt tight in the chest so just sucked it up and waited. Was a bit apprehensive this morning before I started lol.

Le Mong

Postby Le Mong » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:18 pm

Todays stupidity

http://app.strava.com/activities/111822745" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:23 pm

Bloody hell there are some hills in that ride Mong! :shock:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Le Mong

Postby Le Mong » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:44 pm

Was meant to be 160km and 2 more climbs but as you can see by the 40+km/h TTT at the begining the three of us got a tad excited and then just held it. I was the slowest by far :p

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:39 pm

Well, had a solid day doing short hill repeats but the Bryton froze and chewed my data. I'm guessing 100TSS for the day. It REALLY puts computer reliability into perspective when you are relying on the data, and the power meter making that data is expensive.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:40 pm

My little ride this morning with my old racing mates. 8)

http://app.strava.com/activities/112021891" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

doggatas

Postby doggatas » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:07 am

Excellent ride this morning. A lot of PRs, both segments and power wise. I had set a 5 minute power goal to,accomplish over the next 50 days, I'll have to reconsider the goal as I hit it quite easily today. Also PR 3 minute power on a different climb.

http://www.strava.com/activities/112306714" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Should be able to view the ride as I'm in ACF club.

Everything is so much easier with good food and even better sleep.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:22 pm

^^^ I remember when I could do that wattage for 5 minutes ...plus some even!, seems like a loooooong time ago :lol: .
Still don't feel amazing on the bike, sore & stiff. Not really sure whats up over the last few months!. Did suddenly feel a little bit energetic yesterday though and thought I would keep it going for 20 minutes, in the end I guessed the time wrong and only did 18.5minutes... was as raggedy as hell but did set a new ( recent ) PB. Around 10% down from best ever efforts... but it does feel achievable. For the moment though 1 sec through 5 min has disappeared down a hole so deep I don't think it's coming back :| .

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:30 pm

toolonglegs wrote:^^^ I remember when I could do that wattage for 5 minutes ...plus some even!, seems like a loooooong time ago :lol: .
Still don't feel amazing on the bike, sore & stiff. Not really sure whats up over the last few months!. Did suddenly feel a little bit energetic yesterday though and thought I would keep it going for 20 minutes, in the end I guessed the time wrong and only did 18.5minutes... was as raggedy as hell but did set a new ( recent ) PB. Around 10% down from best ever efforts... but it does feel achievable. For the moment though 1 sec through 5 min has disappeared down a hole so deep I don't think it's coming back :| .
Wait till you start racing again and I bet come summer those numbers will be back.

toolonglegs

The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:31 pm

Here's hoping mate... slightly warmer weather brings out better results for me for sure. Yesterday was the first time this year I wore shoes with out covers, lightweight 3/4 knicks and light gloves and no beanie!... wearing full winter kit is great when up around tempo and below, but boy when you start really pushing it you just over heat so quickly. Then of course once you stop your sweat just freezes!. Amazing how much heat the body can pump out!.
Of course today the weather has turned crap again, I could see the alpes clearly from my place yesterday which means rain is coming :lol: ... days are getting longer though :-)

doggatas

Postby doggatas » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:12 pm

I've been working pretty hard at 5, 10, 15 minute intervals so I'd be pissed if i wasn't getter stronger in those areas. I think I have 500 in me or very close to it at least, that's less than 10% improvement.

Being summer here helps for sure, I'm almost at the point were riding is self perpetuating. Do a ride, feel good about it, wanna go riding again.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:47 pm

Starting to wonder if I have been grossly underpowered for a long time. Just punched out 4x10 z4 10w higher than the day at the top of the page, including standing for 5 seconds each minute in the last set. I just had a short recovery ride yesterday after 230tss on Sunday. Anyways, seems that the legs are responding really well to the current diet and recovery regimes. Does make me wonder where does it end? (edit checked the numbers, 95% FTP 4x10, including the final set at 105% :shock: )
Last edited by Xplora on Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:26 pm

felt unbeatable on sunday at the crit - best ever i reckon - broke away from the field for 10-15 mins., caught, then attacked again on bell lap and put some distance on the bunch before being caught. then later in the afternoon did 13 x yarra st (short hill up to 16% gradient) repeats - nothing could tire me. then today (Tuesday) - after an easy Monday - i feel like rubbish and struggle to get the heart rate up. hmm... the vagaries of human physiology.

cripes doggatas those are phenomenal numbers..

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:02 pm

doggatas wrote:I've been working pretty hard at 5, 10, 15 minute intervals so I'd be pissed if i wasn't getter stronger in those areas. I think I have 500 in me or very close to it at least.
What do you weigh in at?... 500w for 5 is sounding pretty good :-) .

Yesterday's ride I underdressed even though the sun was out... Luckily my hands weren't cold as "other parts" were and I needed my gloves off and down there for a while to ease the pain :lol: . Really looking forward to feeling some warmth on rides ... Soon soon!.
Anyway was shattered and the end of a 70k ride... Not looking good for first race in 10 days!.

doggatas

Postby doggatas » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:56 pm

toolonglegs wrote:
doggatas wrote:I've been working pretty hard at 5, 10, 15 minute intervals so I'd be pissed if i wasn't getter stronger in those areas. I think I have 500 in me or very close to it at least.
What do you weigh in at?... 500w for 5 is sounding pretty good :-) .

Yesterday's ride I underdressed even though the sun was out... Luckily my hands weren't cold as "other parts" were and I needed my gloves off and down there for a while to ease the pain :lol: . Really looking forward to feeling some warmth on rides ... Soon soon!.
Anyway was shattered and the end of a 70k ride... Not looking good for first race in 10 days!.

I weigh 89 kilos ATM, still heaps of fat to lose. I started a thread about achieving Sub 80kg (in my mind 79.9) but in reality i'd be happy if i got to 82kg. The way things are going this seems realistic and achievable. At the end of the day my main asset is top end sprinting. The more power I can generate for the longer time frames will hopefully leave me with enough go at the end of some races and more importantly be there.

That does sound cold. I am hopeless at picking appropriate cycling attire when the temp drops. Either I'm over dressed and boil soon after I depart or I'm under dressed and freezing when not giving it a bit.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:42 pm

Tried to rip my legs off today, hill repeats of doom. Must have gotten 18 good solid climbs a minute each in 50/11-14. Total 11 minutes in Z6 and Z7, TSS 130?!!? Going to have to relax a bit tomorrow, but it bodes well for the Enduro on Sunday. Big limiter is lower back strength and core strength, it seems. Also hand strength - fingers were getting sore trying to pull the handlebars off :lol:

doggatas

Postby doggatas » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:22 pm

Sounds painful Xplora but all worth it in the end!! :-)

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:13 pm

Rule 5 in full effect. Just can't physically handle the sprint, and the more I train, the more I discover why. All the creatine and protein seems to be helping recovery too...

iaintas

Postby iaintas » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:02 pm

Well with life starting to get in the way of daily riding im starting to add more structured training to my including 3 trainer sessions a week and 2 outdoor sessions a week. Today was a 3 hour endurance session with 2x20min threshold climbs up the 1in20 climb with a PB today and still felt like I had some left in the tank. http://www.strava.com/activities/112763971.

I am currently saving for a power meter and hopefully have one within the next 6 months, though cant decide if the p2max is going to win over the stages at the moment. Working with RPE is difficult and I hate working to HR zones!

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:19 am

ok - i've been putting in some decent training and feeling stronger - able to attack in crits and hold off the field - for a while..

any tips on what i should be doing - specifically - to better maintain those intense efforts when your legs are burning and you can see the field closing in on you with only a couple of minutes left?

strava says i'm putting out ~350w on breakway efforts (10-15 mins.) - don't laugh - i need more! i'm about 81kg.