The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

g-boaf

Re: The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

Postby g-boaf » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:52 pm

jules21 wrote:
g-boaf wrote:Not that far away from it, and I've got my 3 minute power up above 360w again. :) And hopefully keep that going for 8 days in a row.
that power output will not get me anywhere fast, and not because my expectations or level are higher than yours :)
That gets me just over 6.1w/kg. I'm small and light. It's bloody hard getting more power, but it's getting there, little by little.

Would like it to stop raining enough so I can actually get out on the bike without being drowned by torrential downpours.

Did some 3x10s today.

Cul

Postby Cul » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:47 am

Was hoping to do 2 x 8min FTP (CTS) test yesterday morning but just felt off; I ended up getting on the trainer and doing a butt load of 30sec on / 15sec off intervals on the trainer last night. :x

This morning I went for a bit of a roll, figured I would give it some stick up my local 3min climb… Pretty chuffed ended up managing 474w (AT) 2:50, my only problem now is my 3min climb is no longer 3mins. :D :D :D

Hoping to build up the Cervelo tonight and take her for a quick roll before tomorrow’s Muzz Crit. 8)
My Training & Racing Blog: http://mountainbikemediocrity.wordpress.com
Fuelled By: Pro4mance

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:04 pm

Nice one Cul! 8)

I did a 2x30 today, but got a little scrappy towards the end of the second thirty minute block. Pretty pleased though. :)

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:28 pm

Another 2x30 today, this one went better. :) Felt pretty easy to do that, last 5 minutes the legs start to hurt a little bit, but otherwise not bad.

It's an awful long time to be sitting in one position, hence the little peaks near the end of the last block, getting up out of the saddle. 2 more weeks of these, then I'll change it up.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:56 am

2x30min and 2x18min. the 18min at 90%. My legs are feeling pretty tired today - TSB is also well in the negative.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:48 am

Some forced rest thanks to getting sick. :roll:

cerb

Postby cerb » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:44 am

Likewise. Had almost 10 days off the bike due to sickness and zero energy while starting to recover. Finally back on the trainer last night, but still lacking. Only managed 5x 2min (AT) 135% before I had nothing left.

Not ideal preparations for club champs this coming weekend! Planning to just try and get some some saddle time in over the next week and get the body used to working hard again, even if it means shorter sessions. Will then just go in fully rested and see how the body holds up!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:57 am

cerb wrote:Likewise. Had almost 10 days off the bike due to sickness and zero energy while starting to recover. Finally back on the trainer last night, but still lacking. Only managed 5x 2min (AT) 135% before I had nothing left.

Not ideal preparations for club champs this coming weekend! Planning to just try and get some some saddle time in over the next week and get the body used to working hard again, even if it means shorter sessions. Will then just go in fully rested and see how the body holds up!
Just takes time to get it back after sickness. I think just time riding is the best way back, along with plenty of rest, which was exactly what I didn't get, and probably why I got sick - the sore throat was the warning sign. :( Feeling lousy at the moment.

Prior to being crook, I'd been doing 2x30 at 85% and 2x18min at 90%, and gradually pushing them higher. I doubt there will be anything this week though, just too congested, coughing, sneezing, etc.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:42 am

Gah, I'm still not recovered. :roll: Annoying - and the persistent headache over the last few days is really irritating.

cerb

Postby cerb » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:30 pm

Did a test (8min) for the first time in aages last night.

Results put me at 342W, which I manually adjusted to 345W cause I got ripped off during the opening minute of my main effort as the kickr kept dropping and spiking the resistance, despite a constant cadence and dialling it in beforehand...

Seems like a good number, until I remember that I'm hovering around 87-88kg right now. Need to undertake some specific dehydration before I weigh in to ensure I hit 4W/kg. ;-)

As far as power/weight ratio goes, it sucks being 6'4" !

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:53 pm

I'm having a bit of an easier day or two - did a couple of longer rides on the weekend. And planning some huge rides on the weekend (157km, 4200m+), but it depends on the weather and everything not being snowed under. It's looking a bit risky at the moment. :shock: Going to be bloody freezing. :oops: :lol:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:29 am

Rode in the Snowy Mountains over the weekend. A whole lot harder than anything in Sydney.

Did a 20km climb yesterday, average of 5% gradient iirc, never had so much elevation in less than 30km. :shock:

Also did some riding out along the alpine way. Amazing riding around there, real learning experience too.

Weather was okay too.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:31 am

g-boaf wrote:Rode in the Snowy Mountains over the weekend. ...
Weather was okay too.
Im at 7000 ft in the Gila mountains New Mexico USA .. some good climbs here. I got quite out of breath doing a bushwalk while the team was out doing training. Amazing place to ride. Weather is perfect.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:57 pm

Derny Driver wrote:
g-boaf wrote:Rode in the Snowy Mountains over the weekend. ...
Weather was okay too.
Im at 7000 ft in the Gila mountains New Mexico USA .. some good climbs here. I got quite out of breath doing a bushwalk while the team was out doing training. Amazing place to ride. Weather is perfect.
Jesus that's over 2000m. :shock: I'll find out what that is like later this year.

I noticed the feeling of out of breath a bit when riding (never ridden before up there), but also found it hard to sleep until I figured out what was going on and then took a couple of magnesium tablets which helped that a lot. Wrong gearing was a pain too. I'm almost thinking of an 11-32 with the 50-34 I've got. I'd prefer to have it just in case I need it.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:23 pm

Spent some time on Zwift today, clocked up around 50km and 1100m elevation on that damned hill.

cerb

Postby cerb » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:28 am

So my Kickr broke... Was doing some muscular endurance work with 10min intervals at a bit over 300W. Got a couple of dropouts and spikes in power about half way through the first interval, then during the rest period, it dropped resistance and wouldn't get back on target - max. resistance it put out was only around 30W...

Got off and went to unplug it to try and reset any software issue in the Kickr itself and noticed the flywheel was too hot to touch!! Unplugged it and then went to find a thermometer, but could only find a kids body temp one (max. 50 degrees readout). It measured off the scale, so the flywheel temp was certainly over 50 degrees (about 10mins after getting off the trainer)...

Got a reply from Wahoo, who suggested cleaning the optical sensor and checking the optical disc, which I did, then plugged it back in to test it out only to find that it wasn't detectable on any device (ANT+ or Bluetooth to phone or PC). So now, it's apparently not turning on. :(

Waiting on more feedback from Wahoo about how to fix it from here, but it broke last Thursday night and it's now Wednesday. I only get to do my training on the trainer, so looks like I'll be out of action for a bit longer still.

It's an original kickr (think it was one of the first batches delivered into the country) almost 4 years old. However, I barely used it for the first 2 years! Hopefully it's not going to cost a bomb to repair/replace!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:05 pm

That's terrible luck. :(

And you know Computrainer is also gone now too. It might be a bit old hat, but my god those things are rugged.

I did Bobbin Head and Berowra x2 on the weekend, about 90km yesterday and about 75min on Zwift today, got a decent PR. Feeling it now.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon May 01, 2017 2:07 pm

Put a huge effort in this morning. :shock:

https://www.strava.com/activities/965332764

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon May 01, 2017 7:40 pm

^ I ate and drank this weekend. So we're even?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue May 02, 2017 9:32 am

foo on patrol wrote:Put a huge effort in this morning. :shock:

https://www.strava.com/activities/965332764

Foo
Good work. :)

I did a couple of easy rides on the weekend (80km /100km), both around 30km/h average, nothing too difficult. Did 1 hour of intervals yesterday, just commuting today and probably 1.5 or 2 hours on Zwift tomorrow. TSB is at minus 16 at the moment, so a day off is in order.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Tue May 02, 2017 12:04 pm

I've never really been a morning person, I'm a bit of a night owl and always a bit flat until well after breakfast. I prefer 'gentleman's hours' for riding ie. roll out after 9am, preferably after 10am. I'm lucky I can do this of course being a retired 'gentleman' (of sorts :mrgreen: )

However recently I've been riding even later, either about 11:30am or even after lunch about 2pm, so called 'pro hours'. Yesterday I did one of my regular 70-80km Dandenongs rides leaving about 1pm (no lunch, but had a cuppa tea and a biscuit about 11:30-12). It was the best ride I've had for ages, felt very fresh the whole way and set a good 1:20 time for me, and a few other PBs along the way. Got home fairly fresh and feel great today - planning a 40-50km ride after lunch today as well.

Anyone else find they go better at part of the day than others ?
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

march83

Postby march83 » Tue May 02, 2017 1:01 pm

The biggest pro i get from riding in the afternoon is when I'm trying to drop weight. If i ride in the morning and burn a few thousand calories then i spend the rest of the day fighting myself to avoid eating up all the calories that I've burnt. If i ride the same ride late in the day I would probably have eaten "normally" during the day and am only left with a few short hours to mess up my diet :D

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue May 02, 2017 1:20 pm

march83 wrote:The biggest pro i get from riding in the afternoon is when I'm trying to drop weight. If i ride in the morning and burn a few thousand calories then i spend the rest of the day fighting myself to avoid eating up all the calories that I've burnt. If i ride the same ride late in the day I would probably have eaten "normally" during the day and am only left with a few short hours to mess up my diet :D
That's one way to see it. :) Probably right too. :oops:

Particularly if you ride in the early afternoon and keep going until 7:30pm. Then it's just a rush to eat something when you get home, then off to sleep and wake up early to go to work the next day.

march83

Postby march83 » Tue May 02, 2017 1:26 pm

There's an old out of season weight loss technique I think Ulrich was fond of: Skip breakfast, ride fasted from lunch til the evening with only water. When you get home have a bottle or 2 of mineral water to fill up your stomach and wash down a couple of sleeping tablets.

Not surprised Ulrich struggled with weight management with strategies like that (though i wonder if it was the chicken or the egg?)

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue May 02, 2017 1:33 pm

march83 wrote:There's an old out of season weight loss technique I think Ulrich was fond of: Skip breakfast, ride fasted from lunch til the evening with only water. When you get home have a bottle or 2 of mineral water to fill up your stomach and wash down a couple of sleeping tablets.

Not surprised Ulrich struggled with weight management with strategies like that (though i wonder if it was the chicken or the egg?)
God, how the hell would you do any decent ride like that? Sure you might finish the ride.. That's very, very dodgy. :shock:

You'd probably wake up again and want to eat everything in the fridge and freezer. My old way is just to eat normally, but ride more. It works perfect when you have the time available to do it. Otherwise trying to do that with a full time job at the same time just leaves you feeling a bit like a zombie.