The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

jcjordan

Re: The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc

Postby jcjordan » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:20 pm

Ross wrote:
twizzle wrote:
dalai47 wrote: The benefit of having more than one bike means you can just unrack another bike... :wink:

Another Wednesday night threepeat of the 1 in 20 climb. All Zone 4, cranking up the Watts each lap to negative split each one.
He does.

Ross - what happened to your bike collection?
I also have a race bike that runs tubular carbon wheels and a TT bike that also runs carbon tubular wheels (disc wheel on rear), neither of which are suitable for training or commuting. To change wheels from carbon to alloy involves changing and adjusting the brake pads (a bit difficult on TT bike as rear brake caliper is under chainstay near BB) and also adjusting the gears. I'm not good with mechanical issues on bikes and don't really have the facilities to do them even if I wanted to.
I have commuted on my TT bike quite often, can be fun.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 4 Beta
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:23 pm

I had a bit of fun today doing my usual Saturday morning ride. Tough headwind on the way back though. :)

http://app.strava.com/activities/68358870" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ross wrote:I also have a race bike that runs tubular carbon wheels and a TT bike that also runs carbon tubular wheels (disc wheel on rear), neither of which are suitable for training or commuting. To change wheels from carbon to alloy involves changing and adjusting the brake pads (a bit difficult on TT bike as rear brake caliper is under chainstay near BB) and also adjusting the gears. I'm not good with mechanical issues on bikes and don't really have the facilities to do them even if I wanted to.
I had troubles with brakes and adjusting them when I wanted to change back to alloy wheels, but by trial and error I've got it sussed out. Clamp those brake shoes together so they stay at the distance you want. Sometimes for certain brake pads, a certain amount of cursing four letter expletives and plenty of old fashioned force is needed to make them fit in the shoes. But others will just slip in with no effort at all.

Youtube helped me out with adjusting the gears.

Apart from that, a workstand is helpful, avoids a painful back.

I've got two bikes now, so if one is out of action - I've got the other. But having one with electronic groupset and the other with manual, I've become a bit spoiled. The amazing fast shifting of Di2 is just a pleasure. 8)

kb

Postby kb » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:26 pm

Today was my first day in the Dandenongs (including night trips) where I didn't see a single cyclist. Maybe something to do with raining the whole time and 0.4°C at Sky High...

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:39 pm

I was one of those keeping indoors. Kudos for getting out there today as it was grim!

I'm going to have to get out there tomorrow regardless what the weather is...

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:08 pm

Was cold but at least dry today. Ended up riding out and then 3 laps from the Basin to the water tank on Range Rd Olinda - makes for a 10km climb with 400m gain per lap...

Ross

Postby Ross » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:52 am

Still "coming back" after 6 days off the bike (mechanical failure on bike, needed to order parts) and not doing any other exercise. DId an 86km solo ride on Saturday morning (was supposed to be a group ride but others bailed because of bad weather though it wasn't actually raining, but the road was wet from rain earlier) and was really feeling it afterwards.

Had a 120km ride planned Sunday but the group decided to try a different route and cut it short (because of weather) but then the ride just turned to !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! when one guy got hit by a car (long story, but managed to stay upright and continue the ride) and then 2 other riders (including myself) got punctures shortly after. Once we had re-grouped we decided to just head for the nearest coffee shop! Then we decided after that to tackle a couple of the local hills and then after that they decided they wanted coffee again! I'd had enough to drink by now and was just going to the coffee shop to be sociable. After they finished coffee we got back on our bikes and headed off in our different directions home and I discovered my front tyre was badly deprived of air. Being cold and tired and wanting to get home I gambled that it was just a slow leak and if I pumped it up I should make it home (~20km). The gamble sort of worked; I got home but had to stop about 6-8 times on the way home to pump the tyre up again. Ended up with 91km in the legs for Sunday.

After watching the finish of TdF this morning I went off and did some hill reps at my usual place. Haven't uploded ride to Strava yet but should get just under 1000vm and about 58km by the time I get home. I felt pretty strong on thr first rep but faded badly on the 2nd and 3rd. Will be interesting to see my Strava times and if my 3rd rep is PR for slowness!

I wonder how long it will be until I get my form back? Very frustrating losing so much form/fitness. 6 days is the longest time I've had off the bike in years. I will avoid doing that again if I possibbly can.

kb

Postby kb » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:24 pm

Silly me, I did the weekend backwards. Followed up freezing my bits off on Saturday with sweltering trying out rollers during the gorgeous weather on Sunday. First time I've tried them. You need to keep a constant awareness of what you're doing. Not exactly concentration but... Fell off half a dozen times but no damage apart from minor embarrassment.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:52 pm

Feel like I haven't done that much proper training in the last month... But strava says 1700km and 31,000m climbing in the last 28 days.
Looking forward to start racing again!... Instead of watching it.
J'aime le vélo!

jack11

Postby jack11 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:33 pm

First ride back after 3 weeks off the bike thanks to a nasty bug and a mountain of uni work. 50km of flat riding at a steady pace, horrible headwind for the first half of the ride! Good to get back on the bike and work out a few of the cobwebs!

http://app.strava.com/activities/69384698" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chookman

Postby Chookman » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:13 pm

Logged approx. 115kms today. Out to Helensburgh, Stanwell tops, RNP. Probably one of the most unenjoyable rides I can remember. I'm not a fan of big groups as most of them are disorganised and often reckless. The usual 4 or 5 I ride with came up behind a pack of 7 or 8 riders who's overall pace was pretty and a little erratic causing us to hit our brakes on several occasions. When we had a clear run I led my group through and held a pace around 5kph faster than we were going. 5 mins later the group passes us telling me I have no etiquette and no idea. (I've been riding and racing 20 years - I have some idea). Anyhow a slanging match develops between the 2 groups and after a further few kms I rode up to the most vocal rider in the other group and apologized and he returned the same. All was well.

A few k's later the other group peeled off and I settled into a good tempo until a few riders in our own group started sprinting past, pulling in and then slowing down. After doing this 3 times I spat the dummy and said "I'm outa here - I'm just going to do my own thing". FFS if you want to lead at least hold the same pace or sit beside me rather than stuff my rhythm! Seriously considering doing my long rides solo to avoid all this BS!

Hope everyone else had a better day! Beautiful weather in Sydney for a spin!

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:54 pm

Interesting attitude there Chookman, I would have thought it was a good way to keep your race skills honed. :? Rhythm counts for nothing, unless you're riding a TT or a solo breakaway. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:18 pm

Chookman wrote:Logged approx. 115kms today. Out to Helensburgh, Stanwell tops, RNP. Probably one of the most unenjoyable rides I can remember. I'm not a fan of big groups as most of them are disorganised and often reckless. The usual 4 or 5 I ride with came up behind a pack of 7 or 8 riders who's overall pace was pretty and a little erratic causing us to hit our brakes on several occasions. When we had a clear run I led my group through and held a pace around 5kph faster than we were going. 5 mins later the group passes us telling me I have no etiquette and no idea. (I've been riding and racing 20 years - I have some idea). Anyhow a slanging match develops between the 2 groups and after a further few kms I rode up to the most vocal rider in the other group and apologized and he returned the same. All was well.

A few k's later the other group peeled off and I settled into a good tempo until a few riders in our own group started sprinting past, pulling in and then slowing down. After doing this 3 times I spat the dummy and said "I'm outa here - I'm just going to do my own thing". FFS if you want to lead at least hold the same pace or sit beside me rather than stuff my rhythm! Seriously considering doing my long rides solo to avoid all this BS!

Hope everyone else had a better day! Beautiful weather in Sydney for a spin!
I think long distances are better done solo than in groups. You do more work.

Chookman

Postby Chookman » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:39 pm

foo on patrol wrote:Interesting attitude there Chookman, I would have thought it was a good way to keep your race skills honed. :? Rhythm counts for nothing, unless you're riding a TT or a solo breakaway. :wink:

Foo
I'm a TT'er! Time and a place. Long rides for me are about getting miles in. I don't mind the change in pace and fun and games but if you come around, pull in front and then drop your pace 5kph it causes everyone behind to bunch up and hit their brakes - not fun when it happens continually.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:00 pm

I'm not a fan of bunch rides either... And my club has pretty much no beginners in it. Sometimes I am ok on them but most of the time I come away thinking it was a bit of a waste of time.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:11 pm

Chookman wrote:
foo on patrol wrote:Interesting attitude there Chookman, I would have thought it was a good way to keep your race skills honed. :? Rhythm counts for nothing, unless you're riding a TT or a solo breakaway. :wink:

Foo
I'm a TT'er! Time and a place. Long rides for me are about getting miles in. I don't mind the change in pace and fun and games but if you come around, pull in front and then drop your pace 5kph it causes everyone behind to bunch up and hit their brakes - not fun when it happens continually.
Makes more sense then. :) I was reading that as, coming through for a turn, sorry mate. :oops:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Chookman

Postby Chookman » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:34 am

foo on patrol wrote:
Chookman wrote:

Foo
Makes more sense then. :) I was reading that as, coming through for a turn, sorry mate. :oops:

Foo
I wish I had a few riders of similar ability to train with but they are not easy to find. The larger packs that head out to the southern parts of Sydney are fun once in a while but there are regular crashes and lots of angst.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:09 am

Was going to race yesterday but after leaving home in a raging storm I got halfway there when a couple of team mates from lower grades did a U-turn and came back to tell me it had been cancelled half way through their race :x ... bit soft if you ask me!... love conditions like that!.
So today I thought I would test myself for the first time in a LOOOOONG while, been riding so crap this year that I haven't dared!. Anyway felt OK and I haven't had a VAM over 1200 on this climb this year ( 2.0km (AT) 5.6% ) or any Cat4 climb for that matter this year... still 20 secs of my best time but that was set over a year ago when I was feeling really strong and a kilo lighter.
Fingers crossed the weight keeps coming off and the power keeps coming up :D . School holidays is making riding ( and working! ) rather complicated!.

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:00 pm

Sprint training with my coach and a but of others. Hard efforts doing lead out training.

Even managed to get one up one up on a couple of the young un's

Last edited by jcjordan on Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:01 pm

Why is it that some days you don't even try and you get an improvement on a Strava segment and yet other times you absolutely destroy yourself and still find yourself 1 sec short? :evil:

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:22 pm

Regular Wednesday night threepeat of the 1 in 20. Negative splitting each lap - all z4.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:05 am

jcjordan wrote:Sprint training with my coach and a but of others. Hard efforts doing lead out training.

They were just being nice to the old guy.

:P
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:25 pm

twizzle wrote:
jcjordan wrote:Sprint training with my coach and a but of others. Hard efforts doing lead out training.

They were just being nice to the old guy.

:P
Age and treachery will overcome youth and enthusiasm.

Or in my case just make sure you get them to do the lead out

:-D

James

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:22 pm

Grrrr... 6 in the morning and thick fog!... Back to bed.
Trying to sneak out twice a day at the moment, school holidays for another month so it's sneak out while I can.
I have this silly plan in my head to start running again... I literally haven't run since I was 24, tore ankle ligaments playing rugby for the 4th or 5th time and gave up. But I think now I need a bit of light impact training as I feel pretty stiff. 1km jogging it was!... And I felt it!!!. Only 2 months till CX season starts so hopefully I can be hobbling a bit better by then!.
Last night I did another Cat4 climb at 1100 VAM ... Must be getting lighter lol

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:25 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Last night I did another Cat4 climb at 1100 VAM ... Must be getting lighter lol
that's pushing on!

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:39 pm

jules21 wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:Last night I did another Cat4 climb at 1100 VAM ... Must be getting lighter lol
that's pushing on!
Well it is for me :lol: ... I managed one at 1200 a couple of days ago.I was pretty happy with that, 1300 VAM from May last year was my best effort on that climb... but aiming to get to 1400 on these two climbs, will need to lose a few more kilos for that!.
Problem being all the best races ( stage races ) have proper climbs and proper climbers ... all this work will be for next year, but dropping weight will hopefully help a fair bit in winter for cross :D .