The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

toolonglegs

Re: The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:07 pm

Just scrap the salt off your face onto your chips ;-)

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:29 pm

Heck - 3679m!! :shock: That is a lot of climbing.

I did all four days of the long weekend on the bike, and every day of the working week on the bike or trainer. That was a good week. :)

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:54 pm

Just a nice and easy recovery ride of about 45km - trying to keep cadence above 95rpm and only average effort.

That was needed very badly - my right leg was shocking today, it seemed like the calf muscle was ready to cramp up all day. It feels a bit better now.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:21 pm

Ungggg plyometrics to failure this morning LOL

I have concluded that the local kids playgrounds provide all necessary equipment to train on safely, so I have been building up a bit of a routine, hopping up stairs and jumping onto platforms. Got carried away and had to bail out after trying to hop onto a 2 foot high platform with my right leg. Left went ok but i was dragging myself forward with arms, couldnt get forward motion! Fortunately I had hand rails (kids playground!) as I went splat towards the platform. :shock: I was going to get back into the 4x10s back home but the legs are like jelly. Sounds like a good workout was done :)

Cul

Postby Cul » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:25 pm

4x8min Vo2 Max Intervals with 5mins rest between sets yesterday! It was the first time in a long time I’d used power… My god these intervals are real killers when you are staring at the power output while trying to push harder rather than just focusing on not dying in the last few minutes.

Had a spread of 24w between the 4 intervals, fairly happy with that but really died on the last interval.

Today was 1hr of Tempo with 5x 15sec seated sprints.
My Training & Racing Blog: http://mountainbikemediocrity.wordpress.com
Fuelled By: Pro4mance

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:30 pm

Just added up my Ks so far this month = 560klms. :D Over 30yrs since I have done anywhere near this, look out you sprinters in the future. :lol:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:42 am

3x 20min intervals this morning. Each 20min was 4x5min@75% with 30sec@120% at the end of each 5min section in the blocks.

I did the first 2 at 275w, found that easy enough and did the final 20min block at 310w. That wasn't so easy - my legs were burning and hurting after each 30sec bit. :shock: It's good pain and I'm noticing the improvements. :D

1h:33min and 49.5km on a trainer. :shock:

Cul

Postby Cul » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:42 pm

Hit the trainer this morning for some FTP testing... Pretty chuffed with the result; Now just got to drop 10kgs so the w/kgs look respectable!

kb

Postby kb » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:20 pm

Can't really call it training as it was pure self-indulgence but I had a fantastic Anzac Day ride. 4,300m and 234km. Pace was a nice tempo for the first 4.5 hours but then dropped off.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:18 pm

I did a few hours today.

Ignoto

Postby Ignoto » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:51 am

After the past two weeks, my legs were shagged and needed a full 48+ hours recovery (thankfully it rained yesterday so I had an excuse to get out of bed later). So a 2 hour tempo ride this morning for me.

I'm wanting to retest my FTP on Thursday morning and I'm wondering if there's any do's or do not's for riding the day before? I was contemplating doing some VO2 work, but I'm unsure if that'll have an impact on my 30 minute test the following morning?

Cul

Postby Cul » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:46 pm

Ignoto wrote:After the past two weeks, my legs were shagged and needed a full 48+ hours recovery (thankfully it rained yesterday so I had an excuse to get out of bed later). So a 2 hour tempo ride this morning for me.

I'm wanting to retest my FTP on Thursday morning and I'm wondering if there's any do's or do not's for riding the day before? I was contemplating doing some VO2 work, but I'm unsure if that'll have an impact on my 30 minute test the following morning?
I find tempo work fantastic at bringing on some good "snap" in the legs after a few hard days training.

Personally I wouldn’t be doing anything greater than 2hrs of Z2 work the day before testing day; maybe an hour of tempo would be the absolute highest level I would go. Vo2 Work will likely take a day or two to recover from and subsequently may impact on the testing results (to what end is unknown). Note generally during “training” I will typically and easily do two hard days in a row no worries however to provide a little more control over test day, I do an easy day before just to make sure I am well rested.

happysumo

Postby happysumo » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:56 pm

Short track session on the new bike tonight, tried to do 1 really solid 5m effort.

Here's how my power curve is looking. Seems like I need to re-test 30s, 1m, 3m kind of efforts!
5s: 1200w, 17w/kg
5m: 405w, 5.6w/kg
20m: 320w, 4.4w/kg

I feel like the 20m is reasonably accurate. I can roughly hit that number nearly consistantly on the first of a 2x20 hill repeat. But never really tried a fully rested, once-off 20m effort. Have never done a proper 1m test...

Questions:
*Does the 5m look like an outlier? Garmin vector pedals, 165mm cranks (set properly in my 510). Torqued up by feel, but same as normal. And seems like the vectors read low when under-torqued.
*Or maybe is it just that nailing a 5m effort on the velodrome gives a way higher number than on the road?
*Where to from here? What do I suck at, how can I suck less at it?

filip

Postby filip » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:10 pm

Sunday Trainer road – barren (68 minutes race simulation) + 38 minutes intervals on the road
Monday trainer road – lamarck (1h ftp workout)
Tuesday trainer road - Irvine (1.30h vo2max, anaerobic workout) only lasted 38 minutes, desperately need a day rest after 2 hard workouts.
I really wasted tuesdays work out, have a rest day today and give Irvine another crack tomorrow.
Lesson : need a day rest between every hard workout, or maybe sweetspot workout rather than FTP workout.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:42 pm

happysumo wrote:Torqued up by feel
From mates that are running the Garmin pedals... torque needs to be exact, not by feel ... it does affect the readings.
Apart from that... your 5m to 20m drop is pretty big, maybe you just haven't done enough hard longer intervals to get you pacing / power up where it could be.
Nice power in certain parts that's for sure... I just suspect that the other areas haven't seen full out efforts yet.

happysumo

Postby happysumo » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:07 pm

toolonglegs wrote:
happysumo wrote:Torqued up by feel
From mates that are running the Garmin pedals... torque needs to be exact, not by feel ... it does affect the readings.
Apart from that... your 5m to 20m drop is pretty big, maybe you just haven't done enough hard longer intervals to get you pacing / power up where it could be.
Nice power in certain parts that's for sure... I just suspect that the other areas haven't seen full out efforts yet.
Cool, thanks. I have a torque wrench and spend my down time restoring cars, so I've got a pretty decent internal torque wrench, but point taken & I'm on the lookout now for the 15mm crowsfoot adapter. My W'Bal for the 20m said I had a lot left in the tank. W'Bal showed I could have sustained that 5m effort for maybe 7 minutes before exhaustion (and that feels almost right), so I think I just have to give the 20m a better go.

Will aim to do a properly rested 1m and 20m effort soon then.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu May 01, 2014 8:39 am

Not great at all - that sums up training this morning. 3x 20min intervals, not even flat out - just at below threshold and little bits above it. First block, great.

Second block, part way through I failed - very suddenly. No energy, just struggling to turn the pedals. Struggled through that and started the third block and called it quits after a couple of minutes.

My legs still feel heavy like bricks and I've got stuff all energy even just for walking about. That's the first time I guess that I've ever had that happen. :oops:

Le Mong

Postby Le Mong » Thu May 01, 2014 8:55 am

g-boaf wrote:Not great at all - that sums up training this morning. 3x 20min intervals, not even flat out - just at below threshold and little bits above it. First block, great.

Second block, part way through I failed - very suddenly. No energy, just struggling to turn the pedals. Struggled through that and started the third block and called it quits after a couple of minutes.

My legs still feel heavy like bricks and I've got stuff all energy even just for walking about. That's the first time I guess that I've ever had that happen. :oops:
Been there done that. Tried to go hard the next day. Felt ok, day after was heavy flu symptoms followed by 5 weeks off the bike :(.

Cul

Postby Cul » Thu May 01, 2014 10:21 am

Have had a terrible week with training this week, two sick kids and a sick (read crabby) wife mean getting training time in isn’t the easiest. Infact I've been lucky to squeeze in half an hour here and there and thats about it really.

Was planning to do a 3hr MTB ride Monday, but sick kids quashed that idea; only managed 30mins on the trainer and did 4x[4 x 15on/off Z7 Intervals]

Was planning to do an hour on the trainer, with 30 x 30on/30off Vo2 Intervals – again only managed 30minutes, and 15 intervals.

Was planning to do 2hrs of tempo on Wednesday, only managed an hour and a bit of tempo work – and struggled to hit the mark anyways due to lack of sleep (still a good workout).

This morning I had grand plans of doing a 2hr Z2 ride; only to sleep in and wake to a perfectly still and sunny day in Geelong and it’s meant to rain all weekend… FML!!!

Hopefully the remainder of the week is better!!!

Ignoto

Postby Ignoto » Thu May 01, 2014 12:13 pm

How accurate is Strava's "estimated FTP"? I'm having a look at my power curve after doing a variety of 20 minute FTP testing, 20 minutes worth of climbing and today's 30 minute FTP test.

It's clocked me at an estimated 319w for my FTP, but in my 30 minute one, I'd probably only pulled an average 300w for the 30 minutes (probably could squeeze another 5 watts out). But there's no way I could have pushed an extra 20 watts for double the time!

toolonglegs

The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

Postby toolonglegs » Thu May 01, 2014 3:01 pm

Ignoto wrote:How accurate is Strava's "estimated FTP"? I'm having a look at my power curve after doing a variety of 20 minute FTP testing, 20 minutes worth of climbing and today's 30 minute FTP test.

It's clocked me at an estimated 319w for my FTP, but in my 30 minute one, I'd probably only pulled an average 300w for the 30 minutes (probably could squeeze another 5 watts out). But there's no way I could have pushed an extra 20 watts for double the time!
Edit... I was talking estimated power... The FTP estimate I found reasonably close.

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Thu May 01, 2014 3:44 pm

well gave mount nebo a go, was fun :)

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu May 01, 2014 4:24 pm

Ignoto wrote:How accurate is Strava's "estimated FTP"? I'm having a look at my power curve after doing a variety of 20 minute FTP testing, 20 minutes worth of climbing and today's 30 minute FTP test.

20 minutes isn't an hour, FTP is your one hour power. :wink:

Ignoto

Postby Ignoto » Thu May 01, 2014 4:56 pm

Xplora wrote: 20 minutes isn't an hour, FTP is your one hour power. :wink:
Oh I understand that, but using Friel's 95% estimation after doing a 20 or 30 minute test I have a rough idea. It was more, I was confused at Strava's perception at what my true hour long FTP would be when my current testing doesn't lead me to believe it's close to that number at all.

Basically, my 20 minute and 30 minute overall power is lower than the "FTP" value that Strava has assigned it.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu May 01, 2014 5:05 pm

Yeah that's a bit weird giving you a higher FTP than your 20-30 min best off efforts.
Strava gives me an estimated 337w FTP off a 350w 20 minute test, probably pretty close for me, I will drop a watt or so on average every 5 minutes or so.
On my TT bike I lose about 15-20w, but it is coming up to equal slowly.
Testing is training... go and do a 40km TT and you will have a better idea :P .