The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

Le Mong

Re: The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc

Postby Le Mong » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:24 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Xplora wrote:Bug got ya?

470TSS for the ride today, spent a truckload of time pushing at the front and hit some PBs on the CP graph. Golden Cheetah thinks my FTP is 20w higher as a result, guessing that TSS might plummet after that. Bobbin Head's eastern side is a great FTP interval climb, similar gradient and length to Galston West. The "best Xminutes" intervals are all over the shop, best 60 minutes was the TT at the front after 90kms so that's encouraging too.

I'm feeling I need to be a bit more mindful of my personal graph, rather than assuming Coggan's 7 levels fit "me". My 20 minute test was WAY lower than my 10 minute peak today which created the new CP profile in GC - like 50W difference. Might need to accept I'm good for two laps and then it's good night Irene :lol:
70km race tomorrow, then weights on Monday night. Gunna be a cooked little porkchop. But this "semi training camp" scheduling has really pushed the legs forward.
Yeah - seems that way. Stupidly did 108km today. I shouldn't have done that. It is frustrating when the martyrs with a million days sick leave insist on infecting everyone else - especially those of us who are trying to stay fit. Two of us have gotten it from the sick person. :evil:

The bike fit seems to have worked, feels much better. Other than that, not much more to say. Power over a minute was higher than before too, by quite a big margin. I'm glad I didn't go for Bobbin Head, I would not have managed that today.
Make sure you get a follow up or two. It will evolve over time now you're working properly. Who did it?

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:07 pm

PaveTheWay did it.

Next change is narrower bars - I need to purchase those. Go from 42 to 40cm. So far, very pleased.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:58 am

Xplora wrote:Bug got ya?

470TSS for the ride today, spent a truckload of time pushing at the front and hit some PBs on the CP graph. Golden Cheetah thinks my FTP is 20w higher as a result, guessing that TSS might plummet after that. Bobbin Head's eastern side is a great FTP interval climb, similar gradient and length to Galston West. The "best Xminutes" intervals are all over the shop, best 60 minutes was the TT at the front after 90kms so that's encouraging too.
Intrigued by your TSS, please describe the ride?

march83

Postby march83 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:00 pm

same here - my largest ever TSS was only 380 at the 3 peaks last year. to hit 470, i dunno, i'd need to ride for like 13hrs over pretty extreme terrain.

how valid is your FTP?

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:03 pm

march83 wrote:same here - my largest ever TSS was only 380 at the 3 peaks last year. to hit 470, i dunno, i'd need to ride for like 13hrs over pretty extreme terrain.

how valid is your FTP?
Same march, I was using 3 peaks for a personal comparison as well.
For me, TSS 440, 235km, 4400 elev, 10hrs.

march83

Postby march83 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:09 pm

this raises a point worth mentioning - if your FTP is out by a significant margin then your TSS data is also bunk. that means you can't trust your PMC either.

test often. validate and re-validate.

Cul

Postby Cul » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:28 pm

march83 wrote:How valid is your FTP?
This argument has been had time and time again with Xplora; I think the key here is not to look at the TSS in isolation, but the NP, IF and also the time in zones. Pushing above your FTP (i.e. surging or short power climbs) will pile on the TSS over a short period. It is possible that Xplora's FTP is low (read not set low), but other metrics sub 20mins are on the higher side; combine that with a high AWC to give him the ability to dig deep again and again I can see how the TSS would pile up :!:
My Training & Racing Blog: http://mountainbikemediocrity.wordpress.com
Fuelled By: Pro4mance

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:53 pm

Cul wrote:
march83 wrote:How valid is your FTP?
This argument has been had time and time again with Xplora; I think the key here is not to look at the TSS in isolation, but the NP, IF and also the time in zones. Pushing above your FTP (i.e. surging or short power climbs) will pile on the TSS over a short period. It is possible that Xplora's FTP is low (read not set low), but other metrics sub 20mins are on the higher side; combine that with a high AWC to give him the ability to dig deep again and again I can see how the TSS would pile up :!:

470 TSS in 4h40m ... that is equivalent to 4h40m at threshold ... or how many hours at VO2 levels and above?. Take into account it was a bunch ride and Xplora raced 65kms the next day. Xplora is natural NP Buster!.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:11 pm

LOL The Spanish Inquisition again. Don't forget -

Lies, damned lies, and statistics!

I can report that Golden Cheetah's Extended CP model is EXCELLENT at predicting a credible CP/FTP, IF you have done your max efforts over the duration. It also gives you enough info to be able to predict performance. So...

My 130kms included a run up both sides of Bobbin Head, and about 45 minutes at 240w TTing home at the front on the M2 and to the M7 Bubbler. The Sunday race was basically average 245W, NP 265W for 90 minutes before exploding (and I still can't stand up and sit without distress). I did the 20 minute test 2-3 weeks ago, it seems my 5-10min capacity is miles better than my 20min efforts. I ended up with a 430TSS after adjusting for the new CP/FTP figure (the bobbo climbing effort was way above my previous best 10m).
I think the reality is what TLL said - I probably fit the profile of an NP buster. That's just because the standard protocols assume you can't go deep into Z5/6/7 territory without killing yourself, I seem to cope better. Problem is that in order to cope with the higher "nonsurge" pace that such aggressive riding brings to the higher grades, you need a higher Z2/3 capacity and that seems to be a weakness for me. So yeah, I had to bump up my CP/FTP figure about 15w after Saturday's efforts, but that didn't bring the TSS down that much. The 130km ride was IF .791, NP 224w, moving time 4:40. Also checked about 1h13m at threshold or above, 45m was Z5/Z6/Z7.

I'm going to try and sneak a recovery spin in tonight, but my hamstrings at the glutes are killing me soooooo much.
Last edited by Xplora on Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:43 pm

Hehe.
Hehe also for me ... managed to sneak in a 5 hour ride yesterday and not get in trouble :lol: ... my 110 kg combined weight ( 97 me / 13 bike ) made it freakin hard going yesterday but it was good to be back on the dirt!. First proper mtb ride in nearly a year ( now that is sad :| ).

Cul

Postby Cul » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:50 pm

Back home after a week an a half away; had a blast - with a heap of riding around Canberra and Coffs Harbour including the odd fast bunchie... The time away and just riding my bike is exactly what I needed after having almost a month off training due to illness, and issues with the wife (required surgery).

Got back on the bike today to spin the legs over after some crazy amount of time in the car... Managed to pick up a 3min power PB, up 11w from last month (prev best) 8)

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:13 pm

Hill repeats today. Sat on 270 watts on the climbs. Next week ill aim for 280-290 :)
Cervelo R5
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:14 pm

A wheezing 60.5km tonight with 115TSS - so not all that tough. Feeling a bit better today but not 100%, the bug hasn't quite gone yet. New bike fit however - that's just magic! 8)

And fantastic weather - first time to wear summer riding gear and not feeling the chill at all. :o

Le Mong

Postby Le Mong » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:12 am

Do a flip lol

Cul

Postby Cul » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:04 am

I hopped on the trainer yesterday afternoon to do 2 x 20mins (AT) 90% FTP. I absolutely hate long format intervals on the trainer, for one reason or another I'd rather sit there and do 4 x 8mins at 105% FTP than 20min intervals, since March I just can't seem to stick out the 20mins for some reason; I think subconsciously I look at the power numbers and try to push harder than I should and end up blowing up.

Anyways I was determined to make it happen, so set about doing the intervals tried not to go out too hard, etc... Ended up knocking out 20mins (AT) 98% FTP on the first interval, and 20mins (AT) 96% FTP on the second. Pretty chuffed given I've not done a 20min interval on the trainer in yonks!

Today was meant to be 2hrs of Z2, but sleepless night with little one means it's more likely to be 1hr of Tempo on the trainer again tonight :?

ni78ck

Postby ni78ck » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:04 pm

just did some KOM strava hunting today :)
Cervelo R5
Cervelo S5 VWD - dura ace Di2

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:28 pm

[ quote="Le Mong"]Image

Do a flip lol[/quote]

Should of used a foam pit!

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:51 pm

Le Mong wrote:Do a flip lol
Collarbone intact this time?

Le Mong

Postby Le Mong » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:13 pm

Yep. Winning hahahah bike unmarked too :)

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:43 pm

Black cat got you again!!!

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:47 pm

I got training shamed again last night, so after the last post I pumped through the weights. Managed to get some brutal riding done last week after changing up the routine a little as I didn't want to completely slide. New kettlebells arrived today so Monday's session looks to be a cracker with some heavier weight to play with! Need to sleep pretty bad though!

lock_

Postby lock_ » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:57 am

Been trying to loose a few kg lately, for the most part I've been balancing the calories in/calories out while still having enough energy to train. Right up until last night anyway, left work and couldn't make any power so limped my way home. Filled up with a decent serving of the wife's lasagne, jumped on the ergo and still had nothing. Easy day today, will be eating up in the hope to smash out a decent ride tomorrow.

Weighed in at around 76kg (172cm) for pretty much all last crit season, ideally I'd like to be just under 70kg, currently around 71kg. Probably wouldn't worry me so much if one of the local crit circuits didn't have a damn hill in it!

Toolish

Postby Toolish » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:06 pm

Cul wrote:I hopped on the trainer yesterday afternoon to do 2 x 20mins (AT) 90% FTP. I absolutely hate long format intervals on the trainer, for one reason or another I'd rather sit there and do 4 x 8mins at 105% FTP than 20min intervals, since March I just can't seem to stick out the 20mins for some reason; I think subconsciously I look at the power numbers and try to push harder than I should and end up blowing up.

Anyways I was determined to make it happen, so set about doing the intervals tried not to go out too hard, etc... Ended up knocking out 20mins (AT) 98% FTP on the first interval, and 20mins (AT) 96% FTP on the second. Pretty chuffed given I've not done a 20min interval on the trainer in yonks!

Today was meant to be 2hrs of Z2, but sleepless night with little one means it's more likely to be 1hr of Tempo on the trainer again tonight :?
It is not a pure 2 x 20 effort, but Hell Hath No Fury by the Sufferfest is good for getting through that sort of session.

Le Mong

Postby Le Mong » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:26 pm

HHNF is an awesome session :)

Cul

Postby Cul » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:43 pm

Will have to check it out!

I did an interesting session the other day, my 1 hour tempo session on the trainer soon turned into 20min tempo w/ micro bursts every 5 mins increasing to 10min (AT) >95% FTP back down to 20min tempo w/ micro bursts before increasing to another 10mins (AT) >95% FTP, the final 2mins were done (AT) >100% FTP... I was well and truly buckled by the end of the session, almost falling off the bike once I stopped pedalling.

Had a rest day yesterday as we had another rough night with the little one(s), and I just couldn't get on the trainer in the evening due to time constraints.

This arvo will be 2 x 20mins (AT) >90% FTP on the trainer

Tomorrow 3hrs or so of Z2, will be nice to get a ride outside as the weather is meant to be fantastic :D

Sunday I am hoping to race SKCC's Crit in the morning. 8)