The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

jcjordan

Re: The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc

Postby jcjordan » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:04 pm

foo on patrol wrote:One word of advice to you blokes, get out of bed earlier and do your rides and I'm talking about no later than 6am day light saving time. The only thing you are going to achieve is heat stress and take ages to recover from it. :idea:

If you won't do that, then only do an hour ride because the damage to your body and mind is not worth it. :(

Foo
As long as you keep your fluids and electrolytes up you can generally do ok on a hot day. Twinkle tends to forget the importance of the sodium, potassium and magnesium with his home made sports drink.

This is why I like the Nunn tablets. Good to help recover from hot rides and build up the reserve's
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:25 pm

Twinkle?

ROFL.

7 litres and I'm peeing normally again. The TT bike is rigged for four bidon's, 750ml variety. Never ran out, but there are limits to how much you can consume. I blame the sun screen, makes me sweat lots.

Sent from my iThingy...
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:34 pm

twizzle wrote:93k's, 35C, more than 6lt of fluids, 2kg under weight, and the pee was a very worrying colour. Not one of my brighter decisions to still go out after having a major sleep in. Lol - feel fine, but only drinking hydralyte now just to be on the safe side.

Sent from my iThingy...
You drank 6lt?! :shock: I went out for ~5 hours today (including coffee stop at Scope) and did just under 120km(C U loop + Pierces Crk + Blk Mtn with Strava PRs so wasn't just rolling around) and only drank 2 x 750ml + ~500ml at cafe. I was pretty hot and thirsty by the time I got home but after 2 premixed bottles of Powerade I was right as rain.

boss

Postby boss » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:48 pm

46 degrees riding home last night. I just commuted home, no big efforts.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:38 pm

Left home at 9:00, a few stops along the way, got home at 2 pm. 3lt on the bike, another 2.5lt at the stops, and 1.5lt when I got home. I was down by 2.7kg at that point. It was 26C when I left, 35C at the 70k mark, 37C when I got home.

Sent from my iThingy...

bardygrub

Postby bardygrub » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:03 am

left a 6:30 this morning for a quick 40k avrege 32kph, a rather cool 27 degres and 1, 750m water consumed. on the 75k ride yesterday i had consumed 2 x 750m at the 40k mark

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:24 am

I left home just after 9:00am, courtesy of the very late night I had yesterday and sleeping in. :oops: Only did 21k at around 28.1km/h average speed, it was too hot and I was feeling pretty weak. Legs don't have much power in them. :(
twizzle wrote:eft home at 9:00, a few stops along the way, got home at 2 pm. 3lt on the bike, another 2.5lt at the stops, and 1.5lt when I got home. I was down by 2.7kg at that point. It was 26C when I left, 35C at the 70k mark, 37C when I got home.
Consumed an entire 500ml bottle of water.
Tough ride!
boss wrote:46 degrees riding home last night. I just commuted home, no big efforts.
Insane temperature. :shock:

boss

Postby boss » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:51 pm

After not really getting any hills action this year (I know...), did 98km and 2282m this morning, really windy. Like, really, really windy.

It took an hour longer than last weeks very similar effort. Stiff headwinds here, there and everywhere.

Despite the wind, I managed to take a minute off my best time on Corkscrew Rd and did three repeats of it.

boss

Postby boss » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:58 pm

g-boaf wrote:
boss wrote:46 degrees riding home last night. I just commuted home, no big efforts.
Insane temperature. :shock:
It was pretty crazy. Instead of getting sweaty I was itchy all over.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:34 pm

98km today, 5.5 bidon's over six hours plus two coffee's. Bit cooler, only 1kg under weight after getting home. Left home with three spare tubes, gave two away.

Plus had a conversation with a guy at the race, he's seen a chart showing temp/fluid consumption, once the temp goes past 35C it's supposedly difficult if not impossible to avoid dehydration if you are riding.

Sent from my iThingy...

boss

Postby boss » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:05 am

I've had a pretty week so far.

Monday did 40km and 651m elevation. Then 6km commute home.
Tuesday did 42km and 900m elevation. Then 27km and 300m at lunch. Then 6km home.
Wednesday had a break, 20km on the bike but just running errands.
And this morning did 47m and 1091m.

Will be doing my 27km loop at lunch and just a straight commute home.

Going to do my Monday ride again tomorrow morning, then a really big one on Sunday... 100km-ish, and I want at least 2500m elevation.

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:37 am

Have my Kids up on Holidays at the moment so tha'ts really limiting my spare TIme,

So i've been riding late at night for 1hour 1/2 while the kids are asleep, prefer the weather, even though it's still 30 degrees, but you get that, bugs and toads are an issue, hit a big bastard last night and he gave me a good wobble :)

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:53 am

last nights' ride consited of using the misses small mtb 29'r and going riding up in the pine forest for an hour or so, that bloody hurt, mates reconned i made it look like a cruser! but was fun and a great work out, time to save for a MTB

This morning ride hurt, i don't know if it was from last nights ride or just cause i havn't done hills in so long, was a bit slower than normal, but it's the first time i've done that ride in nearly 2 weeks!

boss

Postby boss » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:18 am

Pushed hard yesterday at lunch, took 9 seconds off a pretty good PR I had... 8:39 down to 8:30 on a 3.8km 2.6% climb slash sprint. Didn't really hurt as much as I thought it should have to take that sort of time off. Edging closer and closer to my goal of 8 minutes flat.

Took it really easy on the way home last night. This week has taken it's toll on me.

This morning I set out with the intent of pushing hard on a pretty cool climb we have here in Adelaide, The Old Freeway. Push hard I did, took 30 seconds off to get my time down to 28:20. Goal for this year is getting in the 26's, so I'm pretty stoked to take a fair whack of time off when I'm feeling less than average.

Not going on a lunchtime ride today, and going to take it very easy on the way home tonight. Rest up tomorrow and pull some big kays and elevation on Sunday.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:03 pm

I just did a quick 33.5km yesterday at around 30.5km/h average speed - it was still roasting hot even at 7:00pm, so I didn't push too much harder. I did see a kangaroo! That was a surprise - in suburban Sydney, unbelievable. :o It was only not long ago that I saw a fox not far from my home. And around the same time, an enormous goanna!

15wilsonwu

Postby 15wilsonwu » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:46 pm

Mt Dandenong and 1 in 20

Now that I'm home i can do a full report.
The way to Mt Dandenong scared the living sheet outta me, well, half of it. The first part was all relaxing and stuff but the second part was truly terrifying. The cars were literally passing by with 1mm of space left between us, i had to ride on the gravel in fear of being knocked over. Oh, I was on Canterbury road.
When I got to Mt Dandenong Tourist Road, everything got a lot better. The cars were less aggressive and the climb was magnificent.
I started to pant, well, semi-pant about half way up there (dont judge me )
It was my first time going up a "proper" mountain, so I was kinda shocked by the scenery
When I got to the top, I was quite literally freezing despite the fact I've been riding for like an hour or so. I didn't bring any arm warmers or jacket cause I didn't in ANY WAY expect that the temperature would drop so dramatically. I then decided to have my lunch to warm myself up, BIG mistake. As most of you would do, I went to the cafe with the most cyclists so I can be more confident with leaving my bike out there.
I had a sausage roll and a latte and to be honest, the roll was sheet. The coffee was good though
Remember how I said it was a big mistake? Well here you go. On the way down, i swear to god it was like -500 degrees, the water molecules in my skin was literally hardening my skin to a level where I cant even move my arms ( exaggeration applied )
On the way down (still), i decided to go via Mountain Highway (1 in 20) to reach the bottom instead of continuing on Tourist Road and GOD I WAS SHOCKED. You probably already know why, but if you don't, let me tell you. Descending through it was like descending in the French Alps, the roads were smooth, the scenery was staggering, theres hardly any cars and the best of all, the corners was just... Ummm, find a word yourself .

The way back was a lot better than the way to Mt Dandenong, probably because it not really a main road.

Heres a link to my ride
http://app.strava.com/activities/37204303" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

btw, I'm 13, be nice
2015 BMC TimeMachine TMR02
- Ultegra 6800
- Shimano RS31

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:20 pm

That is a very good effort Wilson 8) and considering your 13yrs (if you're not telling porkies) then you could have a good future in the sport, ahead of you. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

15wilsonwu

Postby 15wilsonwu » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:23 pm

foo on patrol wrote:That is a very good effort Wilson 8) and considering your 13yrs (if you're not telling porkies) then you could have a good future in the sport, ahead of you. :wink:

Foo
Porkies? im not Auzzie :lol: I assume it means lies?

Check out my thread "how far do you ride", probably prooves im a youngster (is that what you call us?) :wink:
- Ultegra 6800
- Shimano RS31

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:46 pm

15wilsonwu wrote:
foo on patrol wrote:That is a very good effort Wilson 8) and considering your 13yrs (if you're not telling porkies) then you could have a good future in the sport, ahead of you. :wink:

Foo
Porkies? im not Aussie :lol: I assume it means lies?

Check out my thread "how far do you ride", probably prooves im a youngster (is that what you call us?) :wink:
Fixed the most crucial spelling mistake :wink: Now you can start to show how prepared you are to put in the hard yards. Did you read the link I gave you? If you
did, then you will know what is required to think about your future ambition for going pro. :wink: This is what I was talking about, with my question of how much are you prepared to sacrifice and your answer was only half of the commitment required but you're 13yrs so you still have time to commit. :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

15wilsonwu

Postby 15wilsonwu » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:43 am

foo on patrol wrote:
15wilsonwu wrote:

Foo
Porkies? im not Aussie :lol: I assume it means lies?

Fixed the most crucial spelling mistake :wink: Now you can start to show how prepared you are to put in the hard yards. Did you read the link I gave you? If you
did, then you will know what is required to think about your future ambition for going pro. :wink: This is what I was talking about, with my question of how much are you prepared to sacrifice and your answer was only half of the commitment required but you're 13yrs so you still have time to commit. :mrgreen:
Foo
Yep, read it in the cafe up there in Mt Dandenong, thanks for the motivation for the rest of the ride :wink: (even though it was nearly all downhill for the rest of the ride)
Im starting to get some serious km's logged in for my Summer Holidays started from yesterday.
You jelly? Having my holidays till end of Jan :P :wink: :P :lol:
Originally, i planned on doing a day of hills, then a day of flats but realistically, resting in between for some running suits me more :lol:
- Ultegra 6800
- Shimano RS31

boss

Postby boss » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:53 pm

110km and 2000m elevation. Good pacey ride, first 50k was awesome but a little cold, second 50k it rained cats and dogs.

Glad I wore arm and leg warmers! I almost didn't....

g_dorazio

Postby g_dorazio » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:01 pm

Cruisy 65km ride around town, 215W average power. I love rest week :-)

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:13 pm

well I had the weekend off, which was nice, leg's needed it, rode to work at lunch time, a little hot 34 degrees, but you get that! only 30 av which is a bit low but o wells it's monday

Rider123

Postby Rider123 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:15 pm

15wilsonwu wrote:Mt Dandenong and 1 in 20

Now that I'm home i can do a full report.
The way to Mt Dandenong scared the living sheet outta me, well, half of it. The first part was all relaxing and stuff but the second part was truly terrifying. The cars were literally passing by with 1mm of space left between us, i had to ride on the gravel in fear of being knocked over. Oh, I was on Canterbury road.
When I got to Mt Dandenong Tourist Road, everything got a lot better. The cars were less aggressive and the climb was magnificent.
I started to pant, well, semi-pant about half way up there (dont judge me )
It was my first time going up a "proper" mountain, so I was kinda shocked by the scenery
When I got to the top, I was quite literally freezing despite the fact I've been riding for like an hour or so. I didn't bring any arm warmers or jacket cause I didn't in ANY WAY expect that the temperature would drop so dramatically. I then decided to have my lunch to warm myself up, BIG mistake. As most of you would do, I went to the cafe with the most cyclists so I can be more confident with leaving my bike out there.
I had a sausage roll and a latte and to be honest, the roll was sheet. The coffee was good though
Remember how I said it was a big mistake? Well here you go. On the way down, i swear to god it was like -500 degrees, the water molecules in my skin was literally hardening my skin to a level where I cant even move my arms ( exaggeration applied )
On the way down (still), i decided to go via Mountain Highway (1 in 20) to reach the bottom instead of continuing on Tourist Road and GOD I WAS SHOCKED. You probably already know why, but if you don't, let me tell you. Descending through it was like descending in the French Alps, the roads were smooth, the scenery was staggering, theres hardly any cars and the best of all, the corners was just... Ummm, find a word yourself .

The way back was a lot better than the way to Mt Dandenong, probably because it not really a main road.

Heres a link to my ride
http://app.strava.com/activities/37204303" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

btw, I'm 13, be nice
Good work Wilson.

I get the same feeling riding down Canterbury Rd. to the Dandenongs and now I only go via Mountain Hwy. I've found it to be a lot better; less cars and they tend to give you more space. The only time I ride down Canterbury Rd. is early Sunday morning with my cycling club.

I know what you mean by freezing on the way down. I always bring arm warmers whenever I go into the mountains.

I did 155km on Sunday from Warburton -> Lake Mountain -> Marysville -> Mt Donna Buang -> Warburton. Long ride but very enjoyable.

boss

Postby boss » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:37 pm

55km and 1005m elevation this morning. Very pacey ride, PR's on a 15km 660m climb and 3 repeats on a nice steep 12% average grade climb. Not usually a fan of repeats but was keen for it this morning.

Managed to forget my waterbottles and realised 5km from home (right before the start of the first climb)... so went back home, grabbed them... 20km later I was finally into the climb. Good times.