The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

g-boaf

Re: The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc

Postby g-boaf » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:14 pm

I did some more interval training at lunch today. This lot was really hard work with a lot big accelerations and then holding that intensity for long. I got through it, but I'm feeling pretty ruined at the moment.

I suppose that's good. :) I'll probably go for a slow ride tonight to ease things up.

Toolish

Postby Toolish » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:26 am

Did a 20 min FTP test a couple of nights back. Averaged 257watts for the 20 minutes.

95% of that is approx. 245 watts.

Looking at doing some sweet spot work which from what I understand is about 90% of FTP so 220 watts for me. I have read people talking about doing 2 x 20 (AT) SS as a day in day out sort of session or even more. I had picked 220 as a target wattage a while ago and I struggle to do 2 x 20 at that intensity then if I try to back up I can't the next day.

Am I best to lower the wattage goal a bit or just keep trying to hit the time at that wattage?\

Overall aim is to improve FTP.

donncha

Postby donncha » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:18 pm

Backing up day after day is also a function of your CTL. 2x20 for me, incl. warm up/down works out to around 100 TSS. If my CTL is 30 that's a hard session and I can't back it up. If my CTL's 90 it's no problem backing up.

If you can do 2x20 at the target wattage, then do the session properly and don't worry about backing up the next day yet.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:04 am

I don't think sweet spot needs to be as structured as 2x20 etc ... sure you can do that, but I don't find SS to be that hard to hold. You can go out and have fun on a hard 2 hour ride and try and get a solid hour in around sweet spot.
I think it helps when your 10-30 minute intervals get up around 95-105% FTP ... then you need to concentrate a bit harder to hold them.

Trying to get myself motivated... but it isn't working too well!. Trying to take courage in the fact that my only strava wattage target is 360w for 20 minutes and yesterday I managed to hold it for 10 minutes!. So I think it is possible.
The big problem is that even though I held that power for 10 minutes I was still over 10% slower on a 2.8k climb that I test on every so often... so really I need to be putting that out at least with 10kgs less weight :oops: .

Oh well the sun can't be too far away!.

Le Mong

Postby Le Mong » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:27 pm

Really interested to know what I was putting out at Christmas time being that an ftp test last week shows up up on the last one I did despite 2 months of crap lol

And Xplora, this is how you calculate ftp ;)

http://app.strava.com/activities/116607821

toolonglegs wrote: Trying to take courage in the fact that my only strava wattage target is 360w for 20 minutes and yesterday I managed to hold it for 10 minutes!. So I think it is possible.

Hoping a structured winter can get me to those kinds of numbers at around 85 kg :)

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:51 pm

My structured :lol: winter ... Not!. I knew I was behind but didn't realize how much... Usually at the first races of the season I am one of the strongest... Plus the bad weather and wind is in my favor. This year I am just surviving.
The 20min target is only one good ride away... The 84kg target is not going to happen till August ;-) ... By then the power will be up to my old bests I hope :lol:

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:35 pm

Too many bagettes, croissants and Bastille treats TLL! :lol:

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:39 am

did a dry run of the Baw Baw Classic coming up in April (sort of - the race isn't a loop, so couldn't do the full course). this is going to be epic! :twisted:

doggatas

Postby doggatas » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:36 pm

Have been fairly time poor recently so have had to maximize my training efforts.During my lunch hour I only had time for one effort up a nice climb. Knocked 40 seconds off my PB and proved to myself that my 400 watts for 10 minutes the other day was no fluke. Today, I was able to do 412 for 11:15 up the climb :) :)

Whatever I am doing appears to be working. If I can get to 80kgs (even 82) I should be reasonably competitive against my 60-70kg peers.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:21 pm

5w/kg over 10 minutes is awesome.... I can hold 400W too... over 2 and a half minutes, and I'm one of those whippets you are worried about. Keep going with whatever you are doing ;)

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:37 pm

If you lived somewhere flat you would be crushing it with that power!... You need lots of races on rolling windy wet courses, the lightweights go out the backdoor really quick :lol:

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:46 am

doggatas wrote:Have been fairly time poor recently so have had to maximize my training efforts.During my lunch hour I only had time for one effort up a nice climb. Knocked 40 seconds off my PB and proved to myself that my 400 watts for 10 minutes the other day was no fluke. Today, I was able to do 412 for 11:15 up the climb :) :)

Whatever I am doing appears to be working. If I can get to 80kgs (even 82) I should be reasonably competitive against my 60-70kg peers.

Very impressive numbers, can only hope to reach those numbers some day.

I haven't done anything structured for a good 4-5 mths, I'm hoping the 3 peaks this weekend will give the fitness a good kickstart, once recovered I'll do an FTP late next week to see where I'm really at, then start the weekly intervals with some weekend crits throw in.

Ignoto

Postby Ignoto » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:53 am

Can VO2 and FTP be trained at the same time? I was looking at doing a sufferfest video where I've previously done A Very Dark Place and There is no try previously and they're done in under an hour and are pretty much VO2 based. But with missing a ride this morning due to crap weather, I was thinking about doing Blender as it's a bit longer. I notice it jumps between FTP work and finishes off with VO2 work which I thought is a bit strange

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:08 pm

Crawf wrote:
doggatas wrote:Have been fairly time poor recently so have had to maximize my training efforts.During my lunch hour I only had time for one effort up a nice climb. Knocked 40 seconds off my PB and proved to myself that my 400 watts for 10 minutes the other day was no fluke. Today, I was able to do 412 for 11:15 up the climb :) :)

I haven't done anything structured for a good 4-5 mths, I'm hoping the 3 peaks this weekend will give the fitness a good kickstart, once recovered I'll do an FTP late next week to see where I'm really at, then start the weekly intervals with some weekend crits throw in.

I'm doing high intensity interval sessions at the moment, 45 minutes for each session. After 5 of these, I'm stunned at how quickly the improvements are happening. I'm a very small rider as some of you know, and I've dropped about 1.5kg too (59kg now) - but this extra benefits of better breathing, heart rate not going wild and not being as affected by the legs burning up, that's made a pretty impressive improvement.

I'm keeping going to see how far I can go with the training. I'm enjoying it immensely. 8)

Le Mong

Postby Le Mong » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:33 pm

Crawf wrote:

Good luck using peaks as a Kick Start lol

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:43 am

Le Mong wrote:Good luck using peaks as a Kick Start lol

What? You saying I can't do threshold sessions the next day!? :)

Le Mong

Postby Le Mong » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:09 pm

Lol I missed a 5 week block at the start of the year due to sickness and that was enough for me to decide against going.

If you have the kms in your legs you will get there structure or not.

I have a mate aiming for sub 9h this year. Crazy stuff lol

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:19 pm

I have had the worst structure and lead-up of my entire cycling life, all due to my own laziness, I am going to be a zombie on wheels. Genius I am not. Character building in my current state of fitness yes it will be :)

Le Mong

Postby Le Mong » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:02 pm

Last edited by Le Mong on Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:08 pm

Even if you split the data up and remove the date tags etc it still recognizes it as the same file in Strava, my longest ride is the same.

Le Mong

Postby Le Mong » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:10 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Even if you split the data up and remove the date tags etc it still recognizes it as the same file in Strava, my longest ride is the same.

Fixed. Cut it with Golden cheetah and uploaded the .tcx files

Now I need to go and do 160km again hahahaha

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:17 pm

I will have to try again then!

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:20 pm

Any excuse for a big one ;) Nice kms!

Le Mong

Postby Le Mong » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:22 pm

toolonglegs wrote:I will have to try again then!

GC will auto cut the file. Delete the Strava entry and export the 2 files as .tcx and tada. It's stupid that you have to raise a job ticked or some crap for strava staff to do it rather than offer it as a feature.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:50 pm

I assume you stopped for ages and didn't want too much garbage in the file? I intentionally leave all the garbage in; once you get a power meter on Strava you're revealing a LOT of your secrets (tons of them if you are a Premium member). I just clean up my GC files ;) GC doesn't care if you split the file 10 times, but Strava Challenges do :roll: