The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc)

Cul

Re: The training thread: How was yours? (today/yesterday/etc

Postby Cul » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:04 pm

Wednesday: Was hoping for a fast bunchy, but only got a tempo ride after only two of us turned up. Still a solid ride! :)

Yesterday: All this talk of FTP intervals; I had planned on doing 4x8min (AT) 105% FTP, but opted for 3x10min (AT) FTP with 3min rests; as mentioned above I struggle with the longer format intervals on the trainer despite the lesser intensity so my aim for the next couple of weeks will be to increase these to 12min, 15min and eventually 3 X 20mins once a week. I really only have trouble with these on the trainer, out on the open road or climbing I have no issues holding FTP for extended periods. :?

March83 mentioned not training steady state at length is likely to cause issues with replicating these efforts in races – it’s a non-issue for myself as I race MTB a lot more than road so the 4 x 8mins (AT) 105% FTP probably has more specificity. :twisted:

Today/Tomorrow: Easy Z1/2 rides of an hour or so.

Sunday: Another 6hr MTB Race. :twisted:
My Training & Racing Blog: http://mountainbikemediocrity.wordpress.com
Fuelled By: Pro4mance

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:13 pm

Is it not enough cooling on the trainer? That's all I can think of.

I did sprint intervals yesterday. Something went wrong with the data recording so the strava feed looks very low-fi. 150% 30sec sprints in quick succession really hurt. They were in bunches of three, 3x30sec at 150%, 3x30sec at 125%, all with limited rest time. Ouch ouch ouch. It certainly left me with sore legs after it.

Cul

Postby Cul » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:51 pm

g-boaf wrote:Is it not enough cooling on the trainer? That's all I can think of.

Maybe, I also think it has something to do with the resistance; while my trainer is fairly good the resistance does not feel like the road. Using the rollers is a little better as it provides a bit more road feel. I saw a post on here a few weeks ago linking a blog by Alex Simmons about training on wind/mag/fluid trainers that might hold some clues.

Edit: Found it!

http://alex-cycle.blogspot.com.au/2009/01/turbocharged-training.html

Edit Two: Or Maybe I am just soft! :oops:

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:47 pm

Is road feel a "side to side" thing, or a resistance thing?
Been digging my rollers. Feels much more engaging than the trainer did, even if it is rather terrifying. I want to take it outside just to ride off it to find out what happens... :oops:

Today.... wish my wife would have the baby already, as much as 45 minutes on the rollers and 45 minutes local to do some force repeats is way better than nothing, it doesn't beat getting out there with the boys and tapping out 80kms.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:50 pm

I did a road race yesterday. Went alright for my first one on a course I was totally unfamiliar with, spent some time on the front. If I knew the course better I probably would have tried to break-away from the others.

Bad thing is after the finish got a what I thought was a calf cramp. Today I'm not so sure - seems like it might be torn instead - I know what that feels like. I'll get it checked by a physio tomorrow and follow the recommendations. I'm hoping it isn't torn - but a cramp usually will go overnight after some work on it from my experience.

thearthurdog

Postby thearthurdog » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:54 am

A bad cramp can still pull up very sore the next day.
Cannondale Supersix Evo
Fuji Norcom Straight
Fuji Track Elite
http://drpcoaching.blogspot.com.au

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:40 am

It's confirmed this morning, grade 1 tear.

They did some very gentle work on it this morning and it is now taped up with dynamic tape in a sort of lattice-pattern. The main thing at the moment is to stretch it very gently (notthing forceful) and try to walk as normally as possible.

Cul

Postby Cul » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:39 pm

Boaf, hope you heal up quick! :(

Not a good weekend for me; had a nice easy one Saturday which was good.

Sunday was Round 4 of the Vic Enduro Series (MTB) ; during the week reports were that the track was in good nick, but on the way out there in the morning it rained, and I mean rained… it had obviously been raining for a while too, the road in and out looked more like a river the feed zone and surrounding areas were a quagmire as was much of the course. This event is traditionally low on numbers which is odd as it’s the closest to Melbourne, the crap weather had kept a few more people away too.

The 6hr Race started at 10, and Mudmudmudmudmudmudmudmud! I wasn’t feeling great to begin with, but the !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! weather and extremely poor conditions really didn’t help. I managed to string together 4 reasonably consistent laps before the laps times really blew out, the next few laps where hell conditions had deteriorated so much sections of the course was unrideable. I was not having fun at all and thinking I might stick to road racing from now on!!!.. The race was eventually shortened to 4hrs which was greeted with much happiness by everyone.

I ended up mid pack, really not happy with the result nor with how I was feeling on the day given how well I went last round a fortnight ago… A bit of soul searching to do I guess! :(

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:15 pm

Spewing boaf... absolutely spewing. You were dealing with some calf issues late last year, weren't you?

My third son was born on Saturday night, back to training tonight. First strength maintenance session, nearly blew a couple gaskets. Managed to press both my 16 and 12 kettlebells 8 times, hit 169bpm and just avoided going to failure :lol: did the whole session finishing with a 12+16 set of 8 reps over all the exercises, very pleasing although I'm absolutely killing myself to get through. Finished up with some roller work for 30 minutes, couldn't get the legs pushing hard enough to break 130bpm consistently. Might be something in that? All in all, great training, and I survived the nappy change when I came inside from the garage :oops:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:27 am

Congrats mate - you are going to be busy and not getting a lot of sleep!

Last year was knee issues - long since gone. I think this is just one of those things that happens once in a while. I'll hope I don't lose too much over the time off. I'm going to try and do some other exercises while I'm off that won't affect the leg.

Tbanger

Postby Tbanger » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:28 pm

g-boaf wrote: I'm going to try and do some other exercises while I'm off that won't affect the leg.

Don't over do it

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:53 pm

Yeah congrats Xplora ... 6 more to go for the full TDF allowance ;-)
Training... Yeah I will get back to you on that one... Maybe mid September I will restart!. My body is feeling pretty crap, 2.5months on limited riding... Another month to go. Haven't stood on the scales yet but with all the good food and wine it won't be good! :lol:

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:02 pm

g-boaf wrote:I did a road race yesterday. Went alright for my first one on a course I was totally unfamiliar with, spent some time on the front. If I knew the course better I probably would have tried to break-away from the others.

Bad thing is after the finish got a what I thought was a calf cramp. Today I'm not so sure - seems like it might be torn instead - I know what that feels like. I'll get it checked by a physio tomorrow and follow the recommendations. I'm hoping it isn't torn - but a cramp usually will go overnight after some work on it from my experience.

Well done on your first race Chris, going by Phil you did really well. Bugger about the calf, hope it heals quickly.
FPR Ragamuffin

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:51 pm

Gah stupid aerobic endurance work. Had a crack at a 90 minute rollers session, just not going to happen. I have 45 minutes in me before I just can't be bothered. Set up the Garmin to beep every two minutes to break things up.

Rex

Postby Rex » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:05 pm

Yeah I had a 90min session on the trainer lastnight and it was just soul destroying.
When it gets to 9:30pm and you still have 2 intervals left it takes something to dig deep and complete it.

I haven't cracked yet!

Cul

Postby Cul » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:26 pm

Xplora wrote:Gah stupid aerobic endurance work. Had a crack at a 90 minute rollers session, just not going to happen. I have 45 minutes in me before I just can't be bothered. Set up the Garmin to beep every two minutes to break things up.

I find the rollers like reading the newspaper; after an hour I find myself needing a break! Keep it up though Xplora with a new baby in the house you will be hard pressed to get at all.

Bit of a lazy week this week, just soul searching after the weekend woeful race I guess... Anyways
Tuesday: Hour long easy Z1 spin.
Wednesday: Was meant to be doing 2 x 20mins (AT) 95% FTP on but that didn't happen.
Thursday: Tempo to the meeting point, fast group ride, was solid, felt like rubbish but went off the front! Then tempo home :twisted:
Today: 2hrs Z2.

On the weekend I hope to get out to a not so local climb and do an FTP test; It's a 28km loop with a 25min climb each lap so the ride will essentially serve as 25min intervals with 30mins rest between sets (Z2). Hopefully the weather is as nice as it was today.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:30 pm

Not wrong about the baby. I was supposed to do this session yesterday but couldn't get timing with the wife sorted out. Very interesting how much TSS gets accumulated from mediocre efforts. Really need some more 30 minute runs at Z3 to work on cadence but got to keep the wife happy.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:42 pm

Chuck wrote:
g-boaf wrote:I did a road race yesterday. Went alright for my first one on a course I was totally unfamiliar with, spent some time on the front. If I knew the course better I probably would have tried to break-away from the others.

Well done on your first race Chris, going by Phil you did really well. Bugger about the calf, hope it heals quickly.

Thanks Chuck. I did feel alright in the race. I stupidly let the leader go away thinking he'd blow up and we'd get him back easily. I should have went after him immediately and stayed there. He did it a bit earlier and I chased him down and he backed off when he saw I was right with him - I should have done it the second time. Lesson learned. :) Now I know more about the winner, I absolutely won't do that again. ;)

It's getting a bit better day by day - but it still feels strange when they remove the tape from it and get me to do calf raises on just the left leg. I'm doing calf raises at the moment as homework morning and afternoon along with stretching.

I'm starting to get a bit annoyed looking at a bike sitting there in the living room and not being allowed to ride it. Nearly a week away from it does that I guess. Oakville tomorrow would have been nice to try. :(

Xplora wrote:Gah stupid aerobic endurance work. Had a crack at a 90 minute rollers session, just not going to happen.

I've done those before on a trainer. But I had other people near me to talk to and music going. Made it a bit better but only just. hang in there though, with the young one, it's going to be your only work on the bike for a while.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:54 pm

Nah I'm going to see if I can get a leave pass tomorrow, would like a chance to test some sprints for coffee and get some force work done on the way home.

filip

Postby filip » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:55 pm

Have started -very hesitantly - to train again. First ride back after 2 months was a 20km ride on friday. 30km on saturday and 30km on sunday. My God, it was a struggle. Just riding, nothing more. The idea is to ride now most of the days and build up some kms and power in the legs. After a month or so, switch trainerroad back on and do intervals sessions. Start racing at kooragang/hez early october i would think, to be more or less ready at the start of crit season. Head still has to come in the rights space though. Can't understand you guys who keep racing summer and winter.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:17 pm

Did the weights yesterday, decided to start reducing the recovery times down to a minute for most of the sets. Bit scary seeing the heart rate go up past 170, the feeling of the weight is scary once the HR is that high. Losing control means injuries :oops: but I survived. I think I've resolved to just start training after my wife goes to bed. Seems to be the least painful way forward??

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:14 pm

g-boaf wrote:I'm starting to get a bit annoyed looking at a bike sitting there in the living room and not being allowed to ride it. Nearly a week away from it does that I guess.

Sorry to hear about the calf, but you are annoyed after only a week...

Finally got the okay from the surgeon to ride again, even though my shoulder is still severely limited in movement (bone has healed - now just dealing with a frozen shoulder). First commute and second ride back last Tuesday was exactly 4 months to the day since the crash!

I gave up on the trainer around 6 weeks after the surgery when I found out it would be at least another 6 weeks before I could ride outside... :evil: Fortunately the only saving grace was I was already allowed to run 7 weeks ago so have been able to at least do some exercise outside!

Now shopping for a messenger bag I can wear over the right shoulder, as I've discovered the left strap of the daypack I use commuting is rubbing the scar raw at the screw heads. :?

kb

Postby kb » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:54 pm

Xplora wrote:Did the weights yesterday, decided to start reducing the recovery times down to a minute for most of the sets. Bit scary seeing the heart rate go up past 170, the feeling of the weight is scary once the HR is that high. Losing control means injuries :oops: but I survived. I think I've resolved to just start training after my wife goes to bed. Seems to be the least painful way forward??

I remember what that's like. A few years ago I did a week of Pump classes while suffering from Effexor withdrawal. Scary. Stupid and scary.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:36 am

Got in an hour of cadence intervals, and experienced my first dismount. It sucked rather badly :oops:

Definitely got to get the flat pedals onto the bike before trying that little exercise again. Quite hard to lift the cadence once you know how unpleasant a clipstack from 10cm higher than normal feels like :lol:

Rex

Postby Rex » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:50 am

All sorts of excuses in my head lastnight not to get on the trainer... and they won :(
Motivation lacking yesterday and today.

The guilt is horrendous.

Weird because I'm probably in the best form I've been in for a long, long time.