cul, just wondering if it would be worthwhile tracing your PMC, because I reckon you might have peaked a month ago
Seems like your performances having met expectation a few times, and maybe you were just doing too much too soon?
Xplora, It's something I keep a close eye on, as I like to keep track of where it's going. I've attached an image of the TP, PMC for reference with few notes below because it looks like a shemozzle!
Probably the biggest thing worth noting is that I am not “peaking” for a particular event, the nature of the racing I am (was) doing is that it is in a series, generally a month apart with the exception of July / Aug / Sept, so instead of peaking the idea was to “train” though this period and manage the REST because post event my TSB would be -60odd. So something like Race, Rest, Build, Build, Taper, Race, repeat. Where races were spaced closer together the plan was to rest up the week after the race, train solid the later part of that week, the weekend and the early part of the next week before tapering and racing again. Essentially training to maintain what you’d gained from the last race.
However, having a little one, being the middle of !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! winter and the like made difficult to keep the momentum going.
Notes on PMC Below.
1) This is where Aidan was born, it’s worth noting that data up to this point and the start of May is calculated using hrTSS so may not be entirely accurate. It's at this point where I went from riding 13hrs a week doing a combination of a lot of Z2/FTP Intervals Z2/Vo2 Max to training approx. 8hrs a week, doing FTP Intervals / Vo2 Work padded out with easy rides and tempo where possible.
2) I had a fantastically consistent start to June, for 2 weeks I nailed every workout and was on top of the world, gain of approx. 5 CTL points over a 2.5 week period.
3) Later part of June and Early July was no good, struggled with consistency and even getting out (I have a feeling there might be some workouts missing here too).
4) 6hr race 26th and again on the 10th of Aug hence dramatic spike in CTL, races were padded out with easy rides and some "work" here and there.
5) Wife falls ill on 17th Aug, riding limited, 6hr race missed on 24th August and limited riding since…
6) Proposed gain, needs to be stripped back a bit as the TSB goes too negative towards the 4th of Oct (100km Marathon).
The PMC is a great tool however there are a few fundamental flaws; there are no measure of external stresses, life, work, lack of recovery, etc... Also during the period where it dips at the end of June and start of July (3) my performance should have “dropped” however during this period I hit a new 5min/w PB, a new 10min/w PB, and a new 20min/w PB in three separate rides, with varying TSB (-/+ 5).