Supplements

snedden9485

Supplements

Postby snedden9485 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:23 pm

I have been speaking to a supplement guy (he has degrees in that area etc, PhD i think). Anyway im looking at starting to use some supplements for my cycling. He is recommending me a recovery drink with equal parts of Whey protein isolate, maltodextrin and dextrose. This should give me a decent hit of protein and carbs following rides to help with recovery. I am training fairly hard, with around 5 days a week on the bike, with a fair amount of solid training. I do have a good diet with decent levels of veg etc.

He is also suggesting possibly using creatine, only around 3grams per day and see how it goes for a month. The protein he is recommending is very high in BCAA's.

Any advice re this? I know alot of guys use the protein, but i havent heard much of creatine for cycling etc, mainly for weight training.
Chris
2011 Giant TCR Advanced SL
2011 Malvern Star Oppy TT9 Time Trial
2011 Giant Omnium Track
2012 Giant XTC Composite 29

lemmiwinks

Re: Supplements

Postby lemmiwinks » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:58 pm

I did a bit of reading on this recently and the consensus was that creatine wasn't beneficial for muscle endurance. There were a few studies out there on it, not just forum conjecture.
"...for many people your life is not worth the effort it takes to pay attention or the extra few seconds they may need to wait before they can safely get around you."-BikeSnobNYC

snedden9485

Postby snedden9485 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:50 pm

He seemed to think it may be beneficial for sprinting....
Chris
2011 Giant Omnium Track

TheSkyMovesSideways

Postby TheSkyMovesSideways » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:52 pm

I'm guessing he neglected to mention the most common side effect of creatine use - significant weight gain due to increased water storage within the muscles. Having an extra couple of kilos of dead weight inside you isn't going to help your sprinting performance. :wink:

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articl ... tid=155510

(And if you really want to scare yourself, try putting a dollar value on that extra 2kg of weight by figuring out how much it'd cost for a bike that's 2kg lighter!)

As for protein, I'm of the opinion that the only difference between the cheap stuff and the expensive stuff is marketing. I'd just find one that tastes good and is reasonably priced, and if you want carbs with it, add some sustagen.
- Dave

tripstobaltimore

Postby tripstobaltimore » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:27 pm

I'm starting to go off the protein post ride. It's pretty common knowledge that (unless you're a strict vegetarian) you get enough protein from your regular diet. I haven't been taking any protein post ride recently (I used to have a shake after a longer or harder workout) and I haven't had any noticeable difference.

It may be worthwhile trying it out over a course of time, seeing if you do see a difference (that's not just placebo!).

lemmiwinks

Postby lemmiwinks » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:05 pm

snedden9485 wrote:He seemed to think it may be beneficial for sprinting....
IIRC the studies I read indicated about 7 seconds of benefit. That's probably longer than my "sprints" last for but I decided it wasn't worth the effort :wink:
"...for many people your life is not worth the effort it takes to pay attention or the extra few seconds they may need to wait before they can safely get around you."-BikeSnobNYC

Wayfarer

Postby Wayfarer » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:40 pm

tripstobaltimore wrote:I'm starting to go off the protein post ride. It's pretty common knowledge that (unless you're a strict vegetarian) you get enough protein from your regular diet. I haven't been taking any protein post ride recently (I used to have a shake after a longer or harder workout) and I haven't had any noticeable difference.

It may be worthwhile trying it out over a course of time, seeing if you do see a difference (that's not just placebo!).
the difference you dont notice may well be in your recovery.

the only way you'll adapt to training stresses is if you consume simple carbohydrates (sugar) immediately after exercise. Creatine seems like a silly idea..
What are these salesmen peddling?

tripstobaltimore

Postby tripstobaltimore » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:26 pm

Wayfarer wrote:
tripstobaltimore wrote:I'm starting to go off the protein post ride. It's pretty common knowledge that (unless you're a strict vegetarian) you get enough protein from your regular diet. I haven't been taking any protein post ride recently (I used to have a shake after a longer or harder workout) and I haven't had any noticeable difference.

the difference you dont notice may well be in your recovery.

the only way you'll adapt to training stresses is if you consume simple carbohydrates (sugar) immediately after exercise. Creatine seems like a silly idea..
I don't really understand what you are saying... I haven't noticed any difference in my recovery. :?

Burt 'Pigeon Racer' Jones

Postby Burt 'Pigeon Racer' Jones » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:08 pm

snedden9485 wrote:He is recommending me a recovery drink with equal parts of Whey protein isolate, maltodextrin and dextrose. This should give me a decent hit of protein and carbs following rides to help with recovery.
I'm drinking something right now that has a lot of these ingredients in it.

It's called Beer!

Wayfarer

Postby Wayfarer » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:01 pm

well basically, proteins which help in recovery are best absorbed just after exercise :) its most probably not even a noticable difference, but if it keeps me riding for the next thirty years, and safe from microtrauma, then i'm there..

tripstobaltimore

Postby tripstobaltimore » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:29 pm

Wayfarer wrote:well basically, proteins which help in recovery are best absorbed just after exercise :) its most probably not even a noticable difference, but if it keeps me riding for the next thirty years, and safe from microtrauma, then i'm there..
ah ok I get you know. So maybe I should get back on it :)

so expensive though.

Wayfarer

Postby Wayfarer » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:55 pm

do you fancy a good steak? :mrgreen:

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:04 am

no steak for me...does a vegie patie count :lol: ...smash rebuild resmash recover dot dot dot...

snedden9485

Postby snedden9485 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:48 pm

toolonglegs wrote:no steak for me...does a vegie patie count :lol: ...smash rebuild resmash recover dot dot dot...
You seem pretty wise TLL, do you use any supplements in your training?
Chris
2011 Giant Omnium Track

tripstobaltimore

Postby tripstobaltimore » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:46 pm

Wayfarer wrote:do you fancy a good steak? :mrgreen:

I'd be surprised if a steak was actually cheaper these days!!

snedden9485

Postby snedden9485 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:49 pm

Well here is something i have found after doing a hard ride yday (160 km (AT) 31 km.h on dead roads). I came home and had a half baked protein shake, just milk and a few raw eggs (iv run outa protein). Today i feel SORE. Normally i feel ok after a big ride if i get the protein and carbs into me, but i feel sore today, well more sore than normal. Not sure if its the protein or just a hard day :?
Chris
2011 Giant Omnium Track

Wayfarer

Postby Wayfarer » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:04 pm

snedden9485 wrote:Well here is something i have found after doing a hard ride yday (160 km (AT) 31 km.h on dead roads). I came home and had a half baked protein shake, just milk and a few raw eggs (iv run outa protein). Today i feel SORE. Normally i feel ok after a big ride if i get the protein and carbs into me, but i feel sore today, well more sore than normal. Not sure if its the protein or just a hard day :?
sometimes if you take in too much protein, that can happen.. you might even have felt cramps.

MattS77

Postby MattS77 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:07 am

snedden9485 wrote:I have been speaking to a supplement guy (he has degrees in that area etc, PhD i think). Anyway im looking at starting to use some supplements for my cycling. He is recommending me a recovery drink with equal parts of Whey protein isolate, maltodextrin and dextrose. This should give me a decent hit of protein and carbs following rides to help with recovery. I am training fairly hard, with around 5 days a week on the bike, with a fair amount of solid training. I do have a good diet with decent levels of veg etc.

He is also suggesting possibly using creatine, only around 3grams per day and see how it goes for a month. The protein he is recommending is very high in BCAA's.

Any advice re this? I know alot of guys use the protein, but i havent heard much of creatine for cycling etc, mainly for weight training.

Having a background in bodybuilding, the whey + maltodextrine and dextrose is your standard post work out drink after a weights session. Don't know how much you weigh but 30-40g of each is what you should be adding. Scull half the drink immediately after your session, rest for 15 minutes and then sip the rest for 45mins. This helps to make sure your body absorbs the most it can because taking 80g of the fastest absorbing carbs at once is too much for the body to absorb at once. Of course if you don't have time to taper it for 45mins...hell just drink it all like I do :)

james99

Postby james99 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:01 am

re the creatine- if you load properly it can increase water retention and thus increase body weight( increase 2kg).... i have read though that it will help in the sprint aspects of endurance events... as a side a chocolate milkshake is a pretty good recovery drink if you get bored with the protein powders

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:59 pm

Does anyone use COQ-10?...i have been told to try a 400mg per day stack.Can't hurt so will give it a go.
....oh no CERA is next.... :shock: .

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:45 pm

toolonglegs wrote: ....oh no CERA is next.... :shock: .
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
FPR Ragamuffin

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:48 pm

Chuck wrote:
What? Not trying Beetroot juice first? :P
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:44 pm

twizzle wrote:
Chuck wrote:
What? Not trying Beetroot juice first? :P

Nah...I eat beetroot most days anyway..so don't think it will do much extra.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:09 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Does anyone use COQ-10?...i have been told to try a 400mg per day stack.Can't hurt so will give it a go.
Good for lightening wallets I suspect.

Classified by the AIS as a Group C Substance (little proof of benefit):
http://www.ausport.gov.au/ais/nutrition ... ifications

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:29 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:Does anyone use COQ-10?...i have been told to try a 400mg per day stack.Can't hurt so will give it a go.
Good for lightening wallets I suspect.

Classified by the AIS as a Group C Substance (little proof of benefit):
http://www.ausport.gov.au/ais/nutrition ... ifications

yeah i have tried it before as well without much luck...but talking to a guy who swears by it i will try one more time....400mg per day is probably 4 to 8 times more than i tried last time!.Can't hurt.