training intensity

The foundations for successful riding

training intensity

Postby lgbran » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:44 pm

Training inensity - been riding regularly for a couple of months now....ride 5 times a week ..most rides 55 kms longest ride 80 ks... Plan to increase 10% per week... Do I do the bulk of my riding on the small chainring.. I'm now occasionally going on the big... How often should I wind up on the big cogs without going onto overload... or do I cruise through the bulk of training and do soem fast stuff once a week ... am improving slowly .. ami intested in doing the odd social ride but ride to keep fit after runnung a few marathons.. unable to run anymore due to bung knees and hips
lgbran

by BNA » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:47 pm

BNA

Re: training intensity

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:47 pm

If enjoyment and general fitness is your interest then just ride as much as you like, pick different routes for variety, include some hills and ride with some buddies occasionally.
If you feel good, go faster, put it in a harder gear for a while and see how long before you can't keep it up. Set yourself a goal maybe, like reducing the time to ride up a decent climb.

As to what you can do to get fitter, well that really depends on what you want to achieve.

If you really want to understand more about intensity and what it does to us, then have a read here:
http://www.cyclecoach.com/index.php?opt ... Itemid=112

and here:
http://home.trainingpeaks.com/articles/ ... evels.aspx
Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Re: training intensity

Postby lgbran » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:04 pm

thanks Alex.. just riding for fitness now.. eventually ride with a group down here.. just love being out there and Training for the Otway Classic down here. Might veven run into Cadel Evans whne he spends a few months of the year here. Find ridng agreat stress relief from work... great site and great advice cheers
lgbran

Return to Training