Cramps from too much rest?

The foundations for successful riding

Cramps from too much rest?

Postby Hebden » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:30 pm

Hey Guys,

I have taken on a new Cycling coach and the first order of business was a proper rest, I haven’t really had one in years. So my pre training plan involves 14 days of near complete rest. So, with an easy ride on Saturday and no training on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday I was feeling pretty darn fresh. Rock up for indoor soccer and nearly from the start I am cramping up in both my quads! Prior to this I have only ever cramped on one occasion about 4 years ago while swimming after a very long run.

I asked the coach and he suggested I may have been drinking less water, which may be true as I have been skipping the post training Protein shake (with 500mls of water) each morning. The other thing I haven’t been doing is my stretching which I usually do after my rides.

Anyone got any ideas what may have brought on the cramps? Too much rest? :wink:
Hebden

by BNA » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:32 pm

BNA

Re: Cramps from too much rest?

Postby sogood » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:32 pm

Post ride stretching exercises has been associated with reduced incidence of future cramps in my experience. But I also supplement with some Mg containing sports drink during those rides. YMMV.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Re: Cramps from too much rest?

Postby Hebden » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:43 pm

sogood wrote:Post ride stretching exercises has been associated with reduced incidence of future cramps in my experience. But I also supplement with some Mg containing sports drink during those rides. YMMV.

Yeah, that’s another thing I stopped, my regular Magnesium, Zinc and Vit C supplements.
Hebden

Return to Training