I'm glad I'm not racing against this legend!

twizzle

I'm glad I'm not racing against this legend!

Postby twizzle » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:43 pm

PowerTap on EBay.
I've pushed over 2000 watts on this Powertap, but only for 1 minute and it was only a few times. No one was around to see it but I have the stats to prove it. No I wasn't on EPO at the time. If I were it would have been 3000+ watts. Most of the time I'm pedaling at 80 watts so it's been very well taken care of. Bring me up to the right position in a sprint though and I'm not scared to unleash 2000 watts.

This wheel has never ridden Paris-Roubaix but if it had I probably would have won. I would have averaged 900 watts for the whole 280km with how good I was going.
Half tempted to source some EPO for him as a solution to his ego. I'm sure he'd shoot for HC of 100...
Last edited by twizzle on Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

sogood

Re: I'l glad I'm not racing against this legend!

Postby sogood » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:07 pm

Sounds like the unit is way out of calibration. I won't touch that faulty unit! :mrgreen:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

lukas

Postby lukas » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:47 pm

lol.. he's funny.
Cervelo R3
Canyon Ultimate AL

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:13 pm

...i think its a she :lol:

Zabriskie19

Postby Zabriskie19 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:45 pm

Woooah, we have found the Mundine of cycling. :wink:
dropping wheels.

I'm a rider not a bike mechanic

murph75

Postby murph75 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:52 pm

Sounds like a bloke I train with sometimes all mouth .

steveoc

Postby steveoc » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:58 pm

If you want to see your training and racing in a whole new light then you gotta get this Powertap. How else are you gonna know how badly you suck? I'm not gonna tell you, your friends aren't going to tell you, but the Powertap never lies. You will be able to compare your stats with the PROs and you'll realize how far off you really are. There's no better training tool on the market besides EPO.
+1 for the ebay listing to be tongue in cheek humour.
2010 GT GTR Carbon Team
2008 Avanti Giro, Lime Green
"Middle Age" postponed for another year ...

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:05 am

If you trying to sell a 1k-km old PowerTap, it doesn't help to say things like "I hammered it at 2Kw for 1 minute intervals a couple of time". I'd rather buy a new one than risk buying one that sounds like it has rooted calibration.

lemmiwinks

Re: I'm glad I'm not racing against this legend!

Postby lemmiwinks » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:11 am

Sorry twizzle, but you might be having a wee sense of humour failure (unless you're trolling?) The ebay ad is clearly tounge in cheek and while not up to the standard of some of the truly great funny ebay ads, it's not a bad effort.
"...for many people your life is not worth the effort it takes to pay attention or the extra few seconds they may need to wait before they can safely get around you."-BikeSnobNYC

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:19 am

lemmiwinks wrote:Sorry twizzle, but you might be having a wee sense of humour failure (unless you're trolling?) The ebay ad is clearly tounge in cheek and while not up to the standard of some of the truly great funny ebay ads, it's not a bad effort.
I am still yet to see anything top the fully sik rad to the max did skids that went for two weeks BMX. :lol: :lol:
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:33 am

lemmiwinks wrote:Sorry twizzle, but you might be having a wee sense of humour failure (unless you're trolling?) The ebay ad is clearly tounge in cheek and while not up to the standard of some of the truly great funny ebay ads, it's not a bad effort.
As someone searching for a second powertap - I don't find it funny... other than on a low-brow humour level. Nothing in that ad that says to me 'well looked after, low km's PT with good calibration'. He's not trying to sell a piece of crap, he's trying to sell something that's (a) hi-tech and (b) is frikken expensive in both time and money to get serviced. In terms of making it an ad which entices a buyer - total fail.

steveoc

Postby steveoc » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:41 am

twizzle wrote:
As someone searching for a second powertap - I don't find it funny... other than on a low-brow humour level. Nothing in that ad that says to me 'well looked after, low km's PT with good calibration'. He's not trying to sell a piece of crap, he's trying to sell something that's (a) hi-tech and (b) is frikken expensive in both time and money to get serviced. In terms of making it an ad which entices a buyer - total fail.
+1 true as well. Humour sells for smaller items, but this is after all a serious investment for serious folks ... the tone of the advert should reflect that.

Although, I do think its worth my $29 bid .. Ill be happy if I win it for that money, and spend the balance on a calibration test. Might get lucky yet, if the high bidder drops out.

Incidentally twizzle - have you looked at PT hire ? Some of the better LBS's offer that service and the prices are reasonable. I would be interested to know how accurate some of the estimated calculation tools work for doing retrospective power measurement - like http://bikecalculator.com/wattsMetric.html for example.
2010 GT GTR Carbon Team
2008 Avanti Giro, Lime Green
"Middle Age" postponed for another year ...

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:55 pm

steveoc wrote:Incidentally twizzle - have you looked at PT hire ? Some of the better LBS's offer that service and the prices are reasonable. I would be interested to know how accurate some of the estimated calculation tools work for doing retrospective power measurement - like http://bikecalculator.com/wattsMetric.html for example.
I already own a PT, I'm after a second one so I can have a training wheel and a race wheel. Not to mention having a spare in case one of them needs to go back to Saris.

DanielS

Postby DanielS » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:43 pm

twizzle wrote:As someone searching for a second powertap - I don't find it funny... other than on a low-brow humour level. Nothing in that ad that says to me 'well looked after, low km's PT with good calibration'. He's not trying to sell a piece of crap, he's trying to sell something that's (a) hi-tech and (b) is frikken expensive in both time and money to get serviced. In terms of making it an ad which entices a buyer - total fail.
The first two sentences are the serious bit, just read that :P

I bet this goes for a very decent price, considering this about the third or fourth time I've seen a link to it on a forum etc!! (the counter reads 136 at the moment but I reckon it would be easily in the thousands of page views by now)

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:07 pm

I still think it is a girl...."bikechick" might be the give away.
I hit 2000W once (actually closer to 4000 but PT only displays 1999)...it also said 1850kmph...think it was a glitch?.

Zabriskie19

Postby Zabriskie19 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:32 pm

toolonglegs wrote:I still think it is a girl...."bikechick" might be the give away.
I hit 2000W once (actually closer to 4000 but PT only displays 1999)...it also said 1850kmph...think it was a glitch?.
No, not at all :wink:
dropping wheels.

I'm a rider not a bike mechanic

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:48 pm

Dunno TLL - with you anything seems possible. ;)

1st XV

Postby 1st XV » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:55 pm

I would never have thought that snapping Dura Ace cranks was possible before either...................... :wink:

Hushovd14

Postby Hushovd14 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:51 pm

toolonglegs wrote:I still think it is a girl...."bikechick" might be the give away.

that must have been one steep hill :shock:
[WJCC] Diamondback Interval