Best heart rate zone for commuter fitness cycling

The foundations for successful riding

Best heart rate zone for commuter fitness cycling

Postby cruvon » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:21 am

Hi, I got thrown a Garmin Forerunner 50 heart rate monitor watch free when I purchased a Garmin GPS and haven't put the watch to good use yet https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID ... rerunner50 . Do any of you use heart rate to measure your fitness objectives?..Any idea what the best heart rate zone is for fitness cycling (I commute to work but could push myself if I knew what heart rate I needed to be at). Also , does anyone use this or a similar watch and find any other things useful?..I already use Runkeeper on my iphone so wondering if I could get any additional benefits from the watch.
    *Trek 7.5 FX
    *Dunlop Typhoon MTB, my all weather trusty old steed
    *BMW 320i E90, hardly gets a workout after discovered cycling
    *Runkeeper 2.1 for iPhone

cruvon

by BNA » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:28 am

BNA

Re: Best heart rate zone for commuter fitness cycling

Postby sogood » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:28 am

With start-stop traffic lights, it's near impossible to plan for any HR zone of relevance. Even if you can hit a zone, you are unlikely to stay in that zone for sufficiently long to comply with interval training requirements. It's obviously different if the commute is on a long and uninterrupted motorway.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby silkishuge » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:37 am

sogood wrote:With start-stop traffic lights, it's near impossible to plan for any HR zone of relevance. Even if you can hit a zone, you are unlikely to stay in that zone for sufficiently long to comply with interval training requirements. It's obviously different if the commute is on a long and uninterrupted motorway.

Like my ~14-15km (~18mins) of uninterrupted motorway to work and 9km (~11mins) on the return. :D

I generally maintain in zone 5 for the wholeway. After that, even in start stop trafic from Chatswood to Gordon, I can still spend a fair bit of time in zone 5 during short ascents because the engine is nice and hot. :D

J
Last edited by silkishuge on Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon's bikes.......
Reynolds 953 (warranty replacement, 7 months and waiting)
Kona Jake the Snake
Cervelo R3
Cervelo R5
silkishuge

Postby sogood » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:15 pm

silkishuge wrote:Like my ~14-15km (~18mins) of uninterrupted motorway to work and 9km (~11mins) on the return. :D

No. Your commute is still 2 mins shy of a standard 20min interval. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby silkishuge » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:34 pm

sogood wrote:
silkishuge wrote:Like my ~14-15km (~18mins) of uninterrupted motorway to work and 9km (~11mins) on the return. :D

No. Your commute is still 2 mins shy of a standard 20min interval. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:lol:

I don't think it is wise to mix commuting through heavy traffic in start stop unpredictable traffic conditions and training. The reason why I don't push myself hard in start stop traffic is because I need to be always 110% aware of my surroundings. Watch out for cars that appear to be undecided and erratic. Is the the car in front of me going to turn left? Are there any pedestrians around that would suddenly appear from behind a parked car? Fantigue can affect your ability to concentrate. Choose your training time. Best time is early in the morning on weekends. Choose your training ground, safe cycle way, low traffic road and good road surface.

My 2 cents.

J
Jon's bikes.......
Reynolds 953 (warranty replacement, 7 months and waiting)
Kona Jake the Snake
Cervelo R3
Cervelo R5
silkishuge

Postby brendancg » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:32 am

Hi, the heart rate you want to hit depends on your objectives. It also depends on time and distance but here is some info for you.
The HRM you have no doubt works on the 220 - your age calculation. If set up properly I think it may have alarms for the areas you want to hit based on your HR.
60 - 70% - fat loss, 70 - 90% aerobic, 90 - 100% anaerobic. You will only be able to hold 90 - 100% for a very short period of time.
Another way so that you can maintain your watch on the traffic as suggested previously is to work on rate of perceived effort (RPE). Rate of perceived effort is a scale between 1 and 10 (10 being 100%) So to work aerobically you would be thinking of about 7 - 9 in your scale. To correlate this to your heart rate monitor go somewhere safe without any traffic and set some times up. Maintaining a period in each heart rate zone as mentioned above so that you get to know what it feels like and you can correlate that to your RPE scale. Finally we have the talk test. If you can talk with people then you are below 60%. If you can answer questions and have short conversation then between 60 - 80%. 80 - 90% short answers with puffs, above this all you are doing is breathing.

Perhaps you might look at getting more bang for your buck if exercising for a short commute and do some intervals. You may not reach 20 minutes but something is better than nothing. After a short warm up where you keep HR in the 50 - 60% zone, if possible do some short sprints. No need to get out of the seat just go to a harder gear and try to drive it whilst watching the traffic. I often do this from sets of lights. Sprint get the heart rate up until you cant hold it any more then ease off. Recover for a short distance and continue on.

Hope this helps and remember only do this if it feels safe and keep an eye on the traffic. Finally remember to do a warm down and some static stretches when you finish to avoid any injuries.
Yesterday was an easy day.
brendancg

Postby Aushiker » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:04 pm

brendancg wrote:Perhaps you might look at getting more bang for your buck if exercising for a short commute and do some intervals. You may not reach 20 minutes but something is better than nothing. After a short warm up where you keep HR in the 50 - 60% zone, if possible do some short sprints. No need to get out of the seat just go to a harder gear and try to drive it whilst watching the traffic.

Hi

I agree with this approach and it is the one I was doing prior to my pace maker incident. I had only got into for three weeks but I really noticed the improvement.

My approach reflects my commute. I tended to use the first 20 minutes to warm-up, the next 20 minutes to push it as hard as I could I each "hill" (shoot for maximum HR by the top), back off back to around 125 bpm till the next "hill" then repeat the process. After 20 minutes of this, I would try to take it easy (found this harder as I got into it more) and then repeat the intervals... It seemed to work for me and I am slowly working my way back to doing it again.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Return to Training