Training for a Crit?

The foundations for successful riding

Training for a Crit?

Postby RobRollin » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:13 pm

I am going to enter the Launceston Int Crit on December 27. What sort of training should I do leading up to it? Being its only a few weeks away I was thinking interval work. I am going to do a few spin classes as well. Coming out of the corners and being able to sprint is going to be key. I am aiming not to get dropped and to stay on the lead lap. Being that there will be a number of big names in the Crit Im only racing for the expereince.
RobRollin

by BNA » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:46 pm

BNA

Re: Training for a Crit?

Postby twizzle » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:46 pm

High intensity intervals, but leave lots of recovery time. Chris Carmichael has a book out, "The Time Crunched Cyclist", which deals with training for people who only gave 6 - 8 hours a week for training but touches on the subject of intense training for short-term goals, ie. studies have shown that if you only have a short time to train before an event, spend it on intense intervals. So - lot's of 20 min intervals at 80% LT, Power intervals (flat out for 2 mins, with 3 mins rest between) etc. etc.
I ride, therefore I am.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...
twizzle

Re: Training for a Crit?

Postby master6 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:31 am

RobRollin wrote:I am going to enter the Launceston Int Crit on December 27. What sort of training should I do leading up to it? Being its only a few weeks away I was thinking interval work. I am going to do a few spin classes as well. Coming out of the corners and being able to sprint is going to be key. I am aiming not to get dropped and to stay on the lead lap. Being that there will be a number of big names in the Crit Im only racing for the expereince.

Rob, CT have not put you onto the entry list yet.
master6

Return to Training