This is harder...

The foundations for successful riding

Re: This is harder...

Postby donncha » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:28 am

toolonglegs wrote:Orphic if you have a need for a sugar fix..maybe try sugar free sweets.It seems to help me get over those little cravings.

And since they're usually sweetened with Xylitol, eat too many and they'll have a laxative effect, so it's effectively a get-out-of-gaol-free card :D
donncha

by BNA » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:22 pm

BNA

Postby Ant. » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:22 pm

orphic wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:Another activity will just cause more fatigue if you are training hard.
Maybe try eating earlier and going for an easy 45 minute walk before bed.
I had a big mouth full of choc last night..bloody hard not to when there is so much easter chocolate left over!....but i spat it out before swallowing.In the end the taste was enough to make me happy :lol: .Hey if it is within you target then why not...but a small bit of chocolate is worth a hell of a lot of potatoes etc...and it is hard to stop at one square!!!.

Yeah you're probably right. Walking might be good for me... It's getting cold though!

I seem to get pretty hungry before I go to bed, and find it difficult to sleep in this state. Any suggestions on what is best to eat at that time? Is protein the best answer?

I used to have problems stopping at a couple of squares but now I seem to be ok. I buy prepackaged 7g squares of Lindt dark chocolate... So much easier to limit yourself to one and I find that keeping these on hand is the only way I don't go crazy and start eating everything that resembles chocolate in the house ;)

Scales are looking a bit better today. I know you aren't supposed to weigh yourself daily but I am finding it helps me stay on track more than weekly.

I find it easy to fall asleep hungry, because it makes me tired :lol:
Maybe try some vegetables though perhaps? Quite filling, high in fibre, low in kcal.

I weigh myself daily because of those nuance fluctuations from day to day (I sometimes fluctuate 800g plus or minus on a given morning.... if I've lost 1kg in the week, and weigh myself weekly and get hit with that fluctuation, it'll look like I'm onto a super diet which probably means I should eat more, or it'll look like I've lost barely anything which'll make me eat less... either scenario would not be ideal.
One thing I do do though, is have a bit of a food celebration everytime I sink below a whole number (65, 64, 63 etc), and by that I mean go out for lunch
But then again I don't count my kcals so the trend of the scales is the only thing guiding my eating.
It's looking steady this week, but most weeks there's a sharp spike up randomly or sharp drop off, those daily nuances :)

april 09 - 63.4
april 10 - 63.3
april 11 - 63.2
april 12 - 63.4
april 13 - 62.8
april 14 - 63.1
april 15 - 62.7
Cervélo R3
Cervélo P3C
BT Blade
Ant.

Postby orphic » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:33 pm

Well, I had the DEXA scan done today.

It's kind of made me feel worse... But at least it's given me a good goal to work towards. I think it made me realise how much work I have to do. This is going to take longer than I initially thought!

On the bright side, if I can lose the fat I can get pretty damn light. I won't be a slug up the hills then... But hopefully I'll gain some muscle in the process too.
orphic

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:49 pm

You won't gain muscle while you are loosing fat, but you will gain power to weight ratio
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby orphic » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:15 am

Arrrgh I need some help of the Ant and TLL kind.

I was going great.. 1.2kg loss in the last week and then I've put it all back on in the last two days! Closer inspection of my diet shows I might be getting too much sodium and not enough fibre. 3000mg of sodium on Monday and 3500mg on Tuesday, and only 18g of fibre each day. And I thought I was eating lots of fruits and vegetables... Time to jig things around a bit. Any recommendations for extemely high fibre food with hardly any calories?
orphic

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:27 pm

Ken Dinnerval is looming, time to loose the Kg's so you don't get dropped on the hill. BTW don't tell Joanne about the hill, Camilla said a white lie.

High fibre, low calorie, I would of thought you were the expert and what and what not. What about green vegetables?
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:54 pm

My high fibre babies...
Palm Hearts 4g Fibre with 25 cals per 100g and yummy!.
Carrots 3.9g Fibre with 32 cals per 100g.
Beetroot 3.8g Fibre with 48 cals per 100g.
Artichoke Hearts 4.7g Fibre with 25 cals per 100g.

I get up to 80g fibre a day...not all of it at so low Kcals per 100g.I love weetbix and Oatbran...bananas and dried fruit.You have to watch the calories more with them thou.
toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:13 pm

Hey don't forget my fav fruit of all!...not as high in fibre but super yummy and stuff all cals!.
Strawberries!...22 Kcals per 100g...0.1g fat / 1.7 pro / 2.7 carb / 1.4 fibre...yummy!!!.
toolonglegs

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:25 pm

I just ate 1/2 a large chicken and one tomato for lunch. Need to add some carbs to help with the protein absorption
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:00 pm

Gotta get back on track...yet again!.
Anti inflams and pain killers make me feel like shite...which means I eat :roll: .
toolonglegs

Postby Ant. » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:52 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Hey don't forget my fav fruit of all!...not as high in fibre but super yummy and stuff all cals!.
Strawberries!...22 Kcals per 100g...0.1g fat / 1.7 pro / 2.7 carb / 1.4 fibre...yummy!!!.

Favourite food ever, those red babies!
I wouldn't quote their kcals per 100g though..... no way can I only eat 100g of them :D

Even better when dipped in nutella (but that's not happening until I chalk off another kg)

I'm also a huge fan of kiwi fruit, yellow nectarines, red seedless grapes. mmm
In fact, fruit in general I'm quite addicted too. Pink lady apples are in season :D

toolonglegs wrote:Gotta get back on track...yet again!.
Anti inflams and pain killers make me feel like shite...which means I eat :roll: .

Oh no!
I can see Twizzle flying past you :lol:
Just think "ok, i feel like shite now. Think how EVEN MORE shite i'm going to feel after I finish eating all this stuff". Works for me :D
Cervélo R3
Cervélo P3C
BT Blade
Ant.

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:04 pm

I am not putting any on...just not losing again.
More worried about hip to tell the truth...not worth being 80 kgs if my hip is toast.
toolonglegs

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:13 pm

What's up with the hip?
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:21 pm

Dunno mate...just flares up in the joint every so often.Finally been to the doc...off for blood tests and x-rays next week.Fingers x'd in isn't arthritis in the joint...not really ready for a hip transplant yet!.
Hasn't slowed me down on the bike yet...but it will.But I was in pretty bad pain for last couple of days...PITA.
toolonglegs

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:43 pm

Lets hope they figure it out, then you will be able to determine the best course of action
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:53 am

It could be your sciatica nerve! :idea: I have the same problem at different times, and the only way I can get relief is some floor exercises, but you could be different.
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:41 pm

Doesn't seem like sciatica nerve...I looked up the symptoms.It is more the joint aching at night and a bit of pain in the tendon/ muscle over the front of the pelvis.
This might sound silly but I was reading today about certain foods not being great for joints...tomatoes being one of them.I am eating A LOT of tomatoes at the moment with my diet...probably 500grams a day.
Anyway I put on 500grams to a kilo this week :oops: ...get a bit grumpy when I can't train right...and it was my birthday so I will have to be excused.
It was exactly this time last year that I was put up to Cat 2...as I won the same race as yesterday last year.But this time being put up to Cat 1 is easier...cause it doesn't matter if I win cause I can't be put up any higher :D ...last year I didn't want to win a race in Cat 2 as I would go straight up...so what happened!...I never got a placing.This year I did want to win and ended up only being out of the points in 3 races so far this year...just no bloomin wins.
So it is all in the head!.
Anyway back to being hungry :roll: .
toolonglegs

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:26 am

Hell that is a lot of tomatoes every day. :shock: I do know that if you eat to much of some fruit or vegies, that contain different acids, it will cause problems. I found out when I was racing, because I was drinking 10ltrs of orange juice a week, and after about six or seven weeks, started getting lethargic and just not feeling well at all. :( That's when I found out I was for want of a better word slowly poisoning myself and killing my immune system. :evil:

Gary
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:07 am

Yeah,I was also drinking about 500 mls of tomato juice a day as well...maybe it is something,maybe not but worth bearing in mind all the same.I don't think it is the acid but something else in tomatoes and a few other things.
Decrease your intake of foods that cause inflammation:
Cut down on eggs, beef, and dairy products.
Avoid deep fried foods like french fries and overcooked foods like barbeque.
Stay away from “hydrogenated” or “partially hydrogenated” oils -- “trans fats” -- they cause inflammation.
Don’t eat processed foods of any type.
Exclude the nightshade family -- potatoes, peppers, tomatoes, and eggplant -- especially if you suffer from arthritis.
Cut down on refined sugar, caffeine, smoking, and alcohol consumption.
Increase in your diet foods that reduce inflammation:
Eat more vegetables (especially non-starchy varieties) and fruit.
Try free-range chicken, and add more fish (rich in beneficial essential fatty acids) as an alternative to beef.
Extra virgin olive oil is the safest oil you can find in your supermarket.
Choose complex carbohydrates, like brown rice, and foods that are lower on the glycemic index to help balance blood sugar, lower insulin requirements, reduce blood pressure, and improve immune system function.

Anyway I am feeling a lot better today...it didn't bother me too much during the race yesterday but I did 15 minutes at 350 watts on the way home which probably wasn't needed (but I was late)...so last night I could feel it quite a lot.
But the doctor has put me on anti inflammation pills which seem to help..add in some massage with voltaren gel and ice packs and I am on the mend.Will give it a go tommorow...day off the bike today...but I will mix it up it bit for a week or so and not have any long sustained big gear workouts.
toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:04 pm

:oops: Took me 10 days to get back to sub 95...luckily I don't have birthdays and injuries (touch wood) too often.
toolonglegs

Postby Ant. » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:01 pm

And yours truly was 61.5 this morning :D
Recov/easy weeks make for slow weight loss that's for sure.

In a month and a half you could be sub ninety :shock: Think about that :D
Cervélo R3
Cervélo P3C
BT Blade
Ant.

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:52 pm

Ant. wrote:And yours truly was 61.5 this morning :D

Noice...getting close to a 5w per kg hour?

Ant. wrote:In a month and a half you could be sub ninety :shock: Think about that :D

Heres hoping...with the hills I have to race up soon I need to see veins popping everywhere :lol: .
But at the same time I have to eat!...power is going thru the roof :D ...I will test next week!!!.
toolonglegs

Postby Ant. » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:41 pm

toolonglegs wrote:
Ant. wrote:And yours truly was 61.5 this morning :D

Noice...getting close to a 5w per kg hour?

Ant. wrote:In a month and a half you could be sub ninety :shock: Think about that :D

Heres hoping...with the hills I have to race up soon I need to see veins popping everywhere :lol: .
But at the same time I have to eat!...power is going thru the roof :D ...I will test next week!!!.

I'm going to say yep, although not tested for 60mins. Done 324W for 20, then 314W a few minutes later, powertap numbers. Now that my SRM is back.... i'm automatically a few watts more powerful :lol: at least on paper. Man I was trying hard for a second 320+, was foaming at the mouth, had my pain face on but denied.
There's always next week for that!

Proper pre-training drink
Proper drink during training
Proper post-training shake
:wink:

Anything else in your diet is unnecessary!
You are going to KILL your tests! Your inner 5+ W/kg FTP man is dying to come out and play :D

I would LOVE to live where you live. Stupid flat windy city this place is :roll: oh well, I do love time trialling which is big in Perth.
Cervélo R3
Cervélo P3C
BT Blade
Ant.

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:01 pm

Ant. wrote:Proper pre-training drink
Proper drink during training
Proper post-training shake
:wink:

Talk to Cy yesterday...but should be on the way from US by Monday I hope.I even got to chose my flavours... Lemon / Lime for before and during...Wild Strwb's for after :D .

Ant. wrote: You are going to KILL your tests! Your inner 5+ W/kg FTP man is dying to come out and play :D

My inner 5+ W/kg FTP is never going to happen... 400w at 80 kgs for 1 hour is really a bit beyond my reach.BUT I will do a 400w 20 minute soon...really should of pedaled those extra 5 minutes on Wednesday and it would have been done!...and well we will see what happens with the weight!.

Ant. wrote:I would LOVE to live where you live. Stupid flat windy city this place is :roll: oh well, I do love time trialling which is big in Perth.

Yup we aren't flat here but boy at this time of the year we can have some pretty serious wind!...as to TT's...I might do two prolouges,a 4 man TT or two if I am lucky :lol: .

Another BUT...on Wed I was at about 408w av for the first 10 minutes and that only dropped to 405w at 15 minutes....certainly changed my critical power line in Golden Cheetah.
toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri May 07, 2010 5:05 pm

Finally I see movement!...for 4 days I have seen 2000Kcals or less a day.Recovery weeks suck!...staying on target when not riding is REALLY hard.
But low and behold....today I have a BMI of a normal person....BMI 25!!!.
toolonglegs

PreviousNext

Return to Training