Sustagen sport

The foundations for successful riding

Sustagen sport

Postby Marty Moose » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:22 pm

What do you guys think of this stuff ?? I ride early in the morning 5am I don't want to get up any earlier as sleep is an issue. I was thinking of drinking this stuff as a pre ride energy boost and a post ride replace before I have breaky 40 mins after my ride what do you recon pro's con's etc etc etc..

Cheers
Marty
Marty Moose
 
Posts: 1405
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: W.A

by BNA » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:35 am

BNA
 

Re: Sustagen sport

Postby tripstobaltimore » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:35 am

I always like to have a little in my stomach before a ride, but I have been known to go out on just a drink (to get the body used to riding and running on empty glycogen stores). I'd make sure it contained a bit of fat in it, otherwise I think you might find yourself pretty flat by the end.
tripstobaltimore
 
Posts: 916
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 10:59 am

Re: Sustagen sport

Postby Corsa » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:54 pm

How far are you riding?
Corsa
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:47 am

Re: Sustagen sport

Postby Marty Moose » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:37 pm

1.5-2hrs most days. I'm just starting to do intervals and think I'm burning between 540 to 720 cals per session. On Thursday I'm teying to ride two 2 hrs sessions.

MM
Marty Moose
 
Posts: 1405
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: W.A

Re: Sustagen sport

Postby Aushiker » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:49 am

Hi

My preference for pre-ride (I have breakfast after the ride) is a 1/2 a glass of Pura Start (1% fat 99% taste :)) milk and then I make up a recovery drink after the ride which consists of Sustagen Sport + 1 raw egg + 1 banana. This often replaces breakfast or significantly reduces the size of breakfast (depends on my destination etc - Work, home or Anne's).

Last year I stopped taking Sustagen Sport after my longer rides and after about three weeks I found I was really tired on the return ride in the mornings. This was really noticeable on my Joondalup to Fremantle (evening) to Joondalup (morning) 45 km into afternoon headwind commutes. Once I went back to the Sustagen Sport I soon noticed that I was less fatigued on the morning ride. So for me it seems to help.

There is also research suggesting choc milks help. I suspect that the likes of Sustagen Sport is similar in outcomes. I also tried Endura's recovery drink and really felt the Sustagen Sport was just as effective for me.

Regards
Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Image
User avatar
Aushiker
 
Posts: 20143
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA

Re: Sustagen sport

Postby TheSkyMovesSideways » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:12 pm

Don't drink it before cycling. A sugar spike before getting onto the bike isn't going to help you, it's just going to cause your body to produce insulin, which puts the body into energy-storage mode rather than energy-burning mode. It can cause a sugar low (after you bounce down from the sugar high) and inhibit fat burning.

I'd be much more inclined to eat well before going to bed (so you're not as hungry in the morning) and maybe have something small like an apple and some water, or whatever else you can stomach before cycling that isn't full of sugar.
- Dave
TheSkyMovesSideways
 
Posts: 732
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 5:36 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Sustagen sport

Postby Romper » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:50 pm

Sustagen goooood! I like choc and vanilla

I like these "up & go" drinks I picked up at the super market plenty of carbs and protein
Romper! now stiff yet vertically compliant
User avatar
Romper
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:28 am

Re: Sustagen sport

Postby ClownBoy » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:34 pm

Every few days, I put 2 cups of muesli mix (rolled oats, dried fruit, coconut, nuts, etc), 1 cup orange juice and 1 cup natural yoghurt in a bowl and stir it up.

I use it for a solid brekky before training but if I am running out the foor - I still scoop up a few spoons as I get dressed andh ead out.

It has the consistency of porridge and is full of simple (fructose) and complex (oats) carbs. Some fats, plenty of protein.

It has my thumbs up!
ClownBoy
 
Posts: 541
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:19 pm

Re: Sustagen sport

Postby nescius » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:04 pm

ClownBoy wrote:Every few days, I put 2 cups of muesli mix (rolled oats, dried fruit, coconut, nuts, etc), 1 cup orange juice and 1 cup natural yoghurt in a bowl and stir it up.

I use it for a solid brekky before training but if I am running out the foor - I still scoop up a few spoons as I get dressed andh ead out.

It has the consistency of porridge and is full of simple (fructose) and complex (oats) carbs. Some fats, plenty of protein.

It has my thumbs up!


...and it's called Bircher Muesli! (and I agree it is an awesome breakfast :D )
Giant Reign 3 | Trek 8000 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack | Fuji Track 1.1
User avatar
nescius
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:11 pm
Location: Canberra

Re: Sustagen sport

Postby ClownBoy » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:09 pm

nescius wrote:...and it's called Bircher Muesli! (and I agree it is an awesome breakfast :D )


I gave up calling it bircher muesli because no-one knew what I was talking about.

Although, to admit - I came across it buy buying some bircher muesli at a cafe and asking how they made it.
ClownBoy
 
Posts: 541
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:19 pm

Re: Sustagen sport

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:01 pm

Marty Moose wrote:1.5-2hrs most days. I'm just starting to do intervals and think I'm burning between 540 to 720 cals per session. On Thursday I'm teying to ride two 2 hrs sessions.

MM



Eat simple carbs / sugar before the ride...protein won't help pre ride (after is supposedly good)...whats wrong with a sugar spike / High GI pre / during ride.He want's to do intervals...if you are going to do them properly you need fuel.
Not sure of your weight but unless you are low low 60 kgs then you are doing more the 720 Kcals in 2 hours...either that or your intervals are not really hard enough...are we talking 20 minute (FTP work) or 5 minute VO2 intervals here?...either way you need plenty of available fuel in the body (NOT just fat burning) to be able to do them properly.
Image
User avatar
toolonglegs
 
Posts: 14372
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: Somewhere with padded walls and really big hills!

Re: Sustagen sport

Postby wombatK » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:20 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Eat simple carbs / sugar before the ride...protein won't help pre ride (after is supposedly good)...whats wrong with a sugar spike / High GI pre / during ride.He want's to do intervals...if you are going to do them properly you need fuel

What's wrong with the sugar spike is what's required for the digestive effort with a fresh load of fuel on board. A load of food in your stomach draws blood away from your peripheral muscles - not what you need. It's better to carb-load the night before so that your glycogen is stored up and ready for use in your muscles with no further energy or circulation loss to digestion. Having readily available glycogen is much more effective than sending challenges to your insulin/glucose responses. On-ride nutrition is necessary for rides over an hour, but should be light.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia
User avatar
wombatK
 
Posts: 5211
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:08 pm
Location: Yagoona, AU

Re: Sustagen sport

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:52 pm

Well I wouldn't do a 2 hour race on water...standard two hour race for me would be 456 Kcals from two 600 ml bottles and 300-400 Kcals from gels...100% carbs.Banana prerace and carb loaded meal 4 hours before...yes night before if I have an early race.I am burning about 900-1000 Kcals per hour in a hard race so I am trying to replenish about a 1/3rd of that.Anymore and I start getting stomach cramps.
I am not saying he needs this much...but in a 2 hours training session with say 3x20minutes at threshold you are going to burn a lot of Calories...if I only ate the night before my numbers would be way down.
Image
User avatar
toolonglegs
 
Posts: 14372
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: Somewhere with padded walls and really big hills!

Re: Sustagen sport

Postby ClownBoy » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:02 pm

Come on guys. The OP is just asking about eating before a morning ride.

Some people thrive on cardio in the morning on an empty stomach and swear by it for fat loss.

Others say you have to eat before cardio first thing in the morning.

I say - if you are trying to lose weight first and foremost - then see how you perform with a light brekky (like a sml serve of that bircher muesli or a muesli bar or piece of fruit and glass of milk ... options are endless) and see how you perform on an empty stomach. Choose whichever feels best.

If you are just riding for fun\fitness and want to perform - then go for the option with a light brekky before you ride. Nothing too heavy because you are trying to digest while riding (blood not in your limbs, etc).

Worst thing you can do is overthink it too much :shock:
ClownBoy
 
Posts: 541
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:19 pm

Re: Sustagen sport

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:10 pm

Well for interest sake....
Here is what I ate & rode this morning...

(x) 1 tablespoon (16g) of Sugars: Raw 61
(x) 1.48 100ml of Marguerite Milk 68
(x) 0.4 125g (1pot) of Activa Yogurt 48
(x) 0.6 100g of Quaker Oats 198
(x) 1 100ml of Marguerite Milk 46
Meal Total Kcal 421
I had a big (too much) meal last night...otherwise there would be another 200 or so Kcals in there this morning.
I will probably have 400 Kcals in the two hours ride (3x20 minutes at 95% ftp).
But then I am a big unit!.
Normal ride...yup I wouldn't need much for 2 hours JRA.
Hard training ride (intervals)...I need fuel :lol: .

90 minute ride. 1490 Kj work.
Fuel Consumed (Kcal)...421 pre ride / 263 during ride / 461 straight after ride.
Starting weight 97.9kgs.
Finishing weight 96.8kgs.
600 ml fluid consumed at 0 degrees ambient.

Sure it is over thinking it...but I still find it interesting all the same :roll: .
Image
User avatar
toolonglegs
 
Posts: 14372
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: Somewhere with padded walls and really big hills!

Re: Sustagen sport

Postby tripstobaltimore » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:13 pm

I like to keep a constant fueling during longer rides - I find if I don't I crash, and end up eating more than I would anyway, and not recovering quickly enough before the next session.
tripstobaltimore
 
Posts: 916
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 10:59 am

Re: Sustagen sport

Postby Marty Moose » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:30 pm

toolonglegs wrote:
Marty Moose wrote:1.5-2hrs most days. I'm just starting to do intervals and think I'm burning between 540 to 720 cals per session. On Thursday I'm teying to ride two 2 hrs sessions.

MM



Eat simple carbs / sugar before the ride...protein won't help pre ride (after is supposedly good)...whats wrong with a sugar spike / High GI pre / during ride.He want's to do intervals...if you are going to do them properly you need fuel.
Not sure of your weight but unless you are low low 60 kgs then you are doing more the 720 Kcals in 2 hours...either that or your intervals are not really hard enough...are we talking 20 minute (FTP work) or 5 minute VO2 intervals here?...either way you need plenty of available fuel in the body (NOT just fat burning) to be able to do them properly.


I've been working my cals out from a table (calorie king) max being 10 cals per minute. I don't have any fancy equipment to measure this any more accuratley just a heart rate monitor! I'm 80Kg hoping to get to around 78, I used to be 76 when I raced but had to work hard to stay there. The intervals I've been doing are 3min VO2 max and they are REALLY HARD. I've found the sustagen post ride to be great as I can't eat for about 1 hr after my rides because I have kids to get ready and take to school. I don't eat pre ride as I'm getting up at 5am most days and don't/want/can't get up any earlier without going to bed very early. I've also started to take carbs on my longer rides and feel much better. Another thing I've started taking "Ultra Muscleze" its a magnesuim powder and helps heaps.I can still only manage a max of 3 hard sessions a week or I start to go flat :( :(

Sustagen is great stuff.

Cheers
Marty
Marty Moose
 
Posts: 1405
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:00 pm
Location: W.A

Re: Sustagen sport

Postby Parrott » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:48 pm

toolonglegs wrote:.
600 ml fluid consumed at 0 degrees ambient.

Sure it is over thinking it...but I still find it interesting all the same :roll: .


I'm probably underthinking it and a bit random :) , but do your bottles ever freeze on those psycho rides you do? Ours get hot with radiant heat off the road and warm air, I'm guessing yours may turn into slush puppies depending on what you have in them?
User avatar
Parrott
 
Posts: 2960
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:45 pm

Re: Sustagen sport

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:57 pm

Marty Moose wrote:I've been working my cals out from a table (calorie king) max being 10 cals per minute. I don't have any fancy equipment to measure this any more accuratley just a heart rate monitor! I'm 80Kg hoping to get to around 78, I used to be 76 when I raced but had to work hard to stay there. The intervals I've been doing are 3min VO2 max and they are REALLY HARD. I've found the sustagen post ride to be great as I can't eat for about 1 hr after my rides because I have kids to get ready and take to school. I don't eat pre ride as I'm getting up at 5am most days and don't/want/can't get up any earlier without going to bed very early. I've also started to take carbs on my longer rides and feel much better. Another thing I've started taking "Ultra Muscleze" its a magnesuim powder and helps heaps.I can still only manage a max of 3 hard sessions a week or I start to go flat :( :(

Sustagen is great stuff.

Cheers
Marty


Only observations...
If you are doing VO2 intervals then you NEED fuel.Couple of bananas before you head out the door,energy drink in your bottles...and you must eat straight after wards.Sustagen with milk etc is probably fine...just get it in straight after.Sustagen is eating btw.
Not sure how many intervals you are doing?...but I would only be doing them once (twice at the most)a week as they take a lot of recovery.Try 4 to 5 minutes times 3 or 4...3 minutes is maybe a bit short for VO2 efforts.The main thing is that you start at roughly the same pace you finish them...ie:don't go way to hard at the start and fade at the end...because then you are not actually getting much VO2 work.
Try VO2 work one day and 2x20minutes the other day of intervals.
3 VO2 sessions a week is A LOT.
Image
User avatar
toolonglegs
 
Posts: 14372
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: Somewhere with padded walls and really big hills!

Re: Sustagen sport

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:01 pm

Parrott wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:.
600 ml fluid consumed at 0 degrees ambient.

Sure it is over thinking it...but I still find it interesting all the same :roll: .


I'm probably underthinking it and a bit random :) , but do your bottles ever freeze on those psycho rides you do? Ours get hot with radiant heat off the road and warm air, I'm guessing yours may turn into slush puppies depending on what you have in them?



I put hot water in them..and leave them in my pockets.Keeps me a bit warmer.It has to be really cold for them to freeze solid,usually they get pretty gel like thou...the plastic of the bottle goes really stiff and you have to suck hard instead of squeeze.
Image
User avatar
toolonglegs
 
Posts: 14372
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: Somewhere with padded walls and really big hills!

Re: Sustagen sport

Postby Parrott » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:38 pm

toolonglegs wrote:
I put hot water in them..and leave them in my pockets.Keeps me a bit warmer.It has to be really cold for them to freeze solid,usually they get pretty gel like thou...the plastic of the bottle goes really stiff and you have to suck hard instead of squeeze.



Yep I need to HTFU, I hate the cold but that is a whole new dimension. I am already thinking of wussing the winter season as it has gotten down to 12c here in the morning and its dark now too :lol:
User avatar
Parrott
 
Posts: 2960
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:45 pm

Re: Sustagen sport

Postby jacks1071 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:47 am

Marty Moose wrote:What do you guys think of this stuff ?? I ride early in the morning 5am I don't want to get up any earlier as sleep is an issue. I was thinking of drinking this stuff as a pre ride energy boost and a post ride replace before I have breaky 40 mins after my ride what do you recon pro's con's etc etc etc..

Cheers
Marty


A guy that used to train with us on Thursday mornings used to vomit a gut full of Sustagen EVERY Thursday. I don't know if it was him, or his choice in breakfast but it certainly didn't inspire me to try it :-)
Our Website is: http://www.pro-liteoz.com Find us on Facebook by searching for "Pro-Lite Australia"
User avatar
jacks1071
 
Posts: 2927
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:47 pm
Location: Mackay, QLD

Re: Sustagen sport

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:42 pm

Back many years ago, when I was racing, I got laryngitis and pharyngitis, and could not eat anything for three days. :( The only thing I got down my throat was sustagen, made on milk, and it did not leave me short on energy for that period, but I did loose 5kgs in that period. :shock:

Gary
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
Image
User avatar
foo on patrol
 
Posts: 4443
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:12 am
Location: Sanstone Point QLD


Return to Training

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit