Ceramic BB Question

The foundations for successful riding

Ceramic BB Question

Postby RobRollin » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:08 pm

Im lookin at getting a ceramic BB for my bike, Ive done some research on the benefits of a ceramic BB, less friction etc. One test showe the friction generated with a standard BB over a 100km ride was equivilant to riding 104kms on a ceramic BB with the same effort used.

Surely then a ceramic BB would be the way to go? Does anyone use a ceramic BB and anyone have an opinion if I shyould get one.
RobRollin

by BNA » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:44 pm

BNA

Re: Ceramic BB Question

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:44 pm

They are coming out so cheap now why not...the improvement is a gnat's dick...so what...do it.
I went ceramic jockey wheels...they were cheaper than I could get replacement shimano parts.
toolonglegs

Postby donncha » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:32 pm

FSA quote the following in their marketing gumpf (PDF):
While Dura Ace pulleys consume 0.78W (AT) 500rpm, ceramic pulleys use less than 0.06W
A Record BB (AT) 100rpm and 400W consumes 0.6W, the same BB with ceramic bearings consumes 0.02W

So if you swapped BOTH your hubs AND your BB for ceramic versions, you'd save a whopping 2.02W.

Assuming rider + bike weighing 80kg, on the flats:

200W = 37.08km/h, 202.02W = 37.26km/h, therefore a gain of 0.18kmh
400W = 47.77km/h, 202.02W = 47.88km/h, therefore a gain of 0.11kmh

If you're up at the pointy end of races, then sure, go for it, but otherwise they make bugger all difference and there are better ways to improve, like spending the cash on a coach?
donncha

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:33 pm

Except that you can now buy after market ceramic bearings cheaper than original...so buy the ceramic and save the cash :idea: .
Yeah there is sweet fack all in it...although I would like to know what difference it makes to a 97kg rider putting out 450w for 5 minutes on a climb :wink: .
toolonglegs

Postby jacks1071 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:06 pm

RobRollin wrote:Im lookin at getting a ceramic BB for my bike, Ive done some research on the benefits of a ceramic BB, less friction etc. One test showe the friction generated with a standard BB over a 100km ride was equivilant to riding 104kms on a ceramic BB with the same effort used.

Surely then a ceramic BB would be the way to go? Does anyone use a ceramic BB and anyone have an opinion if I shyould get one.

Personally if I'm building a new bike I go for the ceramic BB - any bikes I've had I havn't upgraded until the old BB was shagged. The benefit is small, but you can buy the Ceramic ones so cheap now that if you're replacing the BB might as well get a Ceramic.

The ceramic ones feel noticably smoother in your hand and when you spin the crank with the chain off you can tell the difference. I've got a fair few kms on the HSC ones (which we sell) and pretty happy with them. I have a SRAM ceramic one on a new bike here and out of the box there is a lot of friction on the SRAM one - the rep reckons it'll free up after a few hundred kms.
Our Website is: http://www.pro-liteoz.com Find us on Facebook by searching for "Pro-Lite Australia"
jacks1071

Postby Romper » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:12 pm

i'd go ceramic if i had the cash right after getting some qrings

bear in mind that those comparisons are to record and dura ace if you had rival or 105 i'd presume it would save you more WAtts
Romper! now stiff yet vertically compliant
Romper

Postby Plastic bike » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:56 pm

I got ceramic BB and jockey wheels for my bike it cost about 400 bucks and it was the biggest waist of money ever HA
Plastic bike

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:42 pm

at $400 it would have been!...I got new jockey wheels and ceramic bearings pressed into my old dura-ace shells for less than an ultegra bb.
toolonglegs

Postby Wayfarer » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:03 pm

Depends a great deal on the type of ceramic BB. For example, Ceramic skateboard bearings are all well and good, but the cheaper quality ones arent as good as quality steel ones. And bearings make more difference in cycling.. I'd be interested to hear on the lifespan of a ceramic bb.
What are these salesmen peddling?
Wayfarer

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:23 pm

Well no good asking me..I haven't touched my road bike for over two months.
toolonglegs

Postby jacks1071 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:58 pm

Plastic bike wrote:I got ceramic BB and jockey wheels for my bike it cost about 400 bucks and it was the biggest waist of money ever HA

You paid too much :-)
Our Website is: http://www.pro-liteoz.com Find us on Facebook by searching for "Pro-Lite Australia"
jacks1071

Return to Training